Is anyone ready ...

PinmanPinman Posts: 1,598 Captain
edited February 11 in General Hunting #1

...... for the best season of hunting for any year? When the oaks and cypress start popping out new green growth, the mornings are still and cool. A bit of ground fog lays across the Palmettos as the sun starts to rise...the Owls hoot, then you hear that thunderous Gobble that gets your blood flowing? 

3 weeks and counting way down South here.

Replies

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,863 Captain
    Got several rounded up not far from your house.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 1,598 Captain
    Big Mak said:
    Got several rounded up not far from your house.

Sorry to break the news....but you might get put UNDER the jail for shooting Turkeys in Riverbend Park.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,046 Admiral
    Air Gun Challenge...The neighbors will never hear the Whisper..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,071 Officer
    Heard my first gobbles of 2019 this morning. Hope my three guys each get birds. Fingers crossed. 

Pssst….slap....flop, flop, flop
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,868 Captain
    edited February 11 #7
    Just remember the airgun has to be a PCP. The break-action Gamo Whispers or other break action airguns wouldn't be legal. 

But yes, I'm all in on the air gun challenge. I've purposely bought a budget .22 PCP that's about a $200 gun, paired with a $35 hand pump and a $6 tin of pellets from Walmart, just for the sake of filming a hunt with the budget setup. Cheap enough that if someone wanted to copy my equipment list they could get into airguns for squirrel, small varmints, turkey, and backyard plinking, without breaking the bank. Ought to be good challenge, as the .22 is going to require a brain shot. 

I'm also going to be out there with my more fancy .25 and .30 airguns. They're actually appropriate for body shots where the .22 airgun is not, or at least not as well suited as the larger calibers. 
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,071 Officer
    edited February 11 #8
    I used to kill ground hogs and other similar sized animals on a regular basis growing up in Ohio with a simple crossman 760 pump style Airgun.  The only reason I never killed a turkey is that they weren’t around when I was a kid. Now they live under my dads bird feeder.  I don’t think a turkey is harder to kill, from a ballistics stand point, than a 10-15lb rodent the size of a ground hog. 
    edited February 11 #9
    I agree that in reality a break-action or multi-pump airgun would be just fine for brain-shooting a turkey at close range. Some states do allow break-barrels to be used for airgun turkey hunting. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the rule expanded in future years to allow break-barrels. It probably needs to stay PCP for a few years just for hunters to get used to airguns being around for game and to ensure that the people who might use them for turkeys will put the time and effort into learning the guns before going out and trying it. Buying a $100 Walmart gun is easy for any Joe to do, and could be just fine for killing a turkey, but the time needs to be put into lots of practice before going out and doing it. 

Break-barrels would ensure close-range shots for those purists who hate to see turkeys shot any further than 25 yards away. They have a tendency to lose their pin-point accuracy past that range, where a PCP can put one in a turkey's eye to 50 yards easy. 
  • hoggatorhoggator Posts: 327 Deckhand
    edited February 11 #10
    Not ready, but willing.  
    Bullfrog, 
    I always look forward to reading your posts. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.  Can you share the details of your “budget set up?”
    I got picked for the 3rd Ft Drum hunt & plan on hunting it hard. 
    Air rifle might add a new dimension. I was thinking of taking my bow for my 2nd bow turkey, but an air rifle might be a new challenge. 
    edited February 11 #11
    Sure. Its a Gamo Urban, .22 caliber, paired with a generic Chinese-made hand pump and Gamo Red Fire .22 Pellets. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gamo-Urban-PCP-Air-Rifle-22-cal-800-FPS/55569395

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yosoo-High-Pressure-4500psi-Tungsten-Steel-3-Stage-Hand-Pump-for-PCP-Air-Gun-Boat-Tire-Ball-Hand-Pump-Tungsten-Steel-Hand-Pump/455496859

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GAMO-RED-FIRE-22-PELLET-LEAD-125/55522686

The gun is kind-of pricy at the moment at $265 from Walmart and $300 on other sites. On occasion Walmart.com will mark them down to $200, as will some of the air gun vendors on-line. I think I paid $225 for mine. I wouldn't pay more than that, because for $260 you can find a Hatsan Flash in .25 that will do everything the Urban can do and more. I don't own a Flash, but my buddy does and for the price its a great .25 airgun. Very quiet and twice the power of the Gamo Urban. The only drawback is that you won't be able to find .25 pellets at Walmart. Instead you'll have to order pellets on-line. The pumps will go on sale down to $30 or $35. 

https://www.amazon.com/HatsanUSA-Flash-Caliber-HGFlash-25-Hunting/dp/B07FF49TY5/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1549852943&sr=1-1&keywords=hatsan+flash

The trick with these airguns is to shop around and jump on sales when they happen. A lot of the firearm stores especially will slash prices not really knowing the value of or demand for the gun like an airgun vendor does. Just a week ago picked up a $600 Turkish-made .22 bullpup airgun for $325 from Midway USA. Catching a good sale is a way someone on a budget can get into the mid-grade guns on an entry-level budget.

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,005 Captain
    Remember, nothing new about using air guns! Lewis & Clark had them in their exploration of the far west and the Native Indians were fascinated with them due to the silence in getting a round off. What they had was just as deadly as their "front-loaders". 
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,283 Officer

Yes I am ready.

So is my Benelli !!!!!

• WildManWildMan Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    hoggator said:
    Not ready, but willing.  
    Bullfrog, 
    I always look forward to reading your posts. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.  Can you share the details of your “budget set up?”
    I got picked for the 3rd Ft Drum hunt & plan on hunting it hard. 
    Air rifle might add a new dimension. I was thinking of taking my bow for my 2nd bow turkey, but an air rifle might be a new challenge. 
    Just remember that most WMAs no longer allow rifles for spring turkey, so for an air gun to be legal it would need to fire an arrow or bolt instead of a pellet.

From Ft. Drum brochure under spring turkey "Only bows, crossbows, PCP air guns propelling a bolt or arrow and shotguns using a #2 or smaller shot size may be used for hunting"
    WildMan is right, in WMAs air rifles can’t be used unless they are shooting arrows. On private lands, PCP air rifles can be used with any projectile so long as its .20 or larger for turkeys. I totally missed the WMA aspect in hoggator’s post. 
  • hoggatorhoggator Posts: 327 Deckhand
    Thanks Wildman.  I had read that a while back and just forgot that rule.  looks like I'll be sticking with the bow for the 1st few days and going to the shotgun if I get desperate.
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 581 Officer
    Ive never been turkey hunting but I want to go. I just need to get a permit.
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,863 Captain
    You do not need a permit.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,059 Captain
    Ran a camera Saturday that had been pretty much forgotten about since late February 2018.  It had good batteries and the SD card didn't fill up until late August.  In process of viewing 2834 pictures.  Whew.
    Was glad to see this.  Any hen that gets five poults to this stage is doing good IMO
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 646 Officer
    I've been ready since they started gobbling down south in January, while deer hunting.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 18 Greenhorn
    About as ready as I can be I guess. I got a pipeline permit March 28-31 and 3 or 4 spots holding birds. Saw a few hens so far and gobbler tracks at each spot so we will see. Another thing I noticed is just as many hound tracks now as there were during deer season. Either **** hunting or there's lots of people that enjoy "chasing" fox instead of hunting them
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,086 Officer
    For the last 2 weeks I have heard 1 to 4 birds lighting it up behind the house before work.
    4 weeks from now they will be gone and my kids will require me to walk miles and get covered in ticks to find them again. Gonna p I s s me off so bad that I may just blow ones head off.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine

joekat46 said:
    Ran a camera Saturday that had been pretty much forgotten about since late February 2018.  It had good batteries and the SD card didn't fill up until late August.  In process of viewing 2834 pictures.  Whew.
    Was glad to see this.  Any hen that gets five poults to this stage is doing good IMO

That is good to see in July.

I was optimistic with the dry conditions the past 12 months we have had. Until the buckets got dumped out a couple of weeks ago. My romp-n-stomp in the South zone is flooded like its October now. So much for optimism for that place. Ill still be out there.

Ive never been turkey hunting but I want to go. I just need to get a permit.

Plenty of open access public grounds in your area, no permit required. Get out and scout those areas until you get one of those permits. Listening for gobbles at daybreak.  Look for tracks.

• meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 51 Greenhorn
    hell yea im ready     only problem is i got buddies with quotas begging me to go with them to some great wma,s that i know where birds are but i,ve found plenty of birds on 3 different wma,s no quota needed.     last year had a quota for opening day   roosted a couple night before. next morning birds   flew down 10 yds from decoy hunt over by 7 am.   drove to corbett same day scouted afternoon found some birds coulda shot a jake but waited   watched a group of 12 to 15 birds fly up to roost  hens first to flydown in morning then couple jakes then 2 gobblers   hunt over by 7.30 am     season over in 25 hrs .  this year i got no quotas so gonna try to get one down south on one wma then wait till 16 when another wma opens      good luck everyone    
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 267 Deckhand

Yeah I’m ready. 
  • shempshemp Posts: 519 Officer

OTW to work in gridlock this morning I was purring and yelping on the pitman frequencer to get it tuned it

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,739 AG
    Looking forward to it but not ready. Just moved into a new house  and sent my 20g off last week for repair with a 4 week turn around. Can use my daughters if needed though.  Property I hunt was clear cut this summer (400 of 500ac) so we'll see how it goes. I'll enjoy it regardless. Good luck to everyone. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    edited February 14 #29
    I’m not ready either. My daughter was just born a month early and taking care of her is going to take up my season probably. So far I haven’t heard any behind the house. I think that’s because I cut the corn off in anticipation of having to use my depredation tags this spring for my blueberries (can’t bait while using the tags). 
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,642 Captain
    Congrats on the birth of your daughter BF! You need something else to keep you busy! Yes - I'm ready. Do need to find a bird for the youth weekend. That's my T-season priority! Seeing a lot more than I did this time last season so have that going for us. 
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 992 Officer
    Congratulations on the new addition to the family Bullfrog!!!
    Took my buddy out to show him around. Turkey sitting in the road where i park. Then we bumped another walking in. Then two more. Then another. On a romp and stomp! Cant wait