Darwin Site

It seems like there has been quite a few camping questions recently so here is another!

My buddy and I are trying to minimize the amount of camping gear we are bringing for this years spring trip. One way we are doing that is to use mosquito net hammocks. These will work perfectly on the Chickees but I was wondering if anyone had been on Opossum Key post Irma and could tell me if there a couple trees that would be good for stinging up hammocks? 
I pulled a screen shot from a time lapse video of Darwin's Place and it looks possible to use the trees straight back. See in picture

Link for hammock if anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.com/ARAER-Capacity-Mosquito-Lightweight-Backpacking/dp/B078YQLYSD/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_468_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=89VJZNF0NE05TG5CB45E

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,617 Admiral
    That picture sure brings back memories...
    Put out a fresh Cut bait in the evening right in front of the site.
    I've seen Deer there sneaking around camp.
    My buddy works for NPS and his job at the time was pumping out all the Port A Jons at the campsites...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,360 Captain
    I pass Darwin's place all the time - but for the life of me I couldn't tell you whether the trees there would work for a covered hammock...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 723 Officer
    My buddy works for NPS and his job at the time was pumping out all the Port A Jons at the campsites...
    That is a schnitty job! 
    Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke - Skini Rennie
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,617 Admiral
    Yea , But your getting paid to run a boat thru the far Back Country a couple times a Month....might want to take a Rod to work...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 160 Deckhand
    It's a great idea and I've done it before in mosquito lagoon but will never do it again.  The humidity will have you soaked by 2am.  Bring a tent, a small one is just about the same weight as two mosquito hammocks.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 507 Officer
       One of the popular trips is kayaking from Choko
    thru Whitewater ending at Park facilty on Southern end
    of Everglades.If your kayaking you better travel light.
    That means mosquito netting,freeze dried food,in other 
    words not much.
       Few years back when were camping on New Turkey.
    A couple of kayakers were returning,so after 10 days
    of freeze dried they were famished.
        With me was a gentleman who married a Indian
    women(from India).She had packed up alot of Indian food
    so when the kayakers landed we offered to share.Never
    have I seen two more hungry men eat.
    Took a good look at Darwin's yesterday (but without getting out of the boat...) and didn't see any likely trees for that hammock....  Let us know what you find and how it works out if you go  that way... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • southerntidesoutherntide Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Thats a bummer Bob but thanks for looking! We should be headed that way within the next few weeks. 

Due to this warmer weather and water temps, can I assume my fishing efforts around the Deer Island area will not result in overwhelming success?  Any chance we see an early tarpon push in the rivers?
    there's big silver girls in the "rivers" right now - but over on the Flamingo side of things ... We've been looking for them out of Chokoloskee the last few days with no results (but we never got south of Cannon Bay..).  Two more days out of Choko, then I'll be tarpon fishing again this weekend out of Flamingo... 

This time of year what I'm really looking for is a day off....

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Hammocks work pretty well! We had a great trip. Tons of snook and baby tarpon. Even found a bay holding the big silver girls 4 days in a row.
    Thanks for all the helpful comments
  • CataholicCataholic Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Great post and great pics.

One question:  how the hell do you get in that upper hammock?
    The view from here...

ATcvO3Pt.jpg
    Great question! The cooler was used as a stepping stool. A gatorade jug was a mandatory addition to the hammack in order to avoid getting down in the middle of the night to raise the water level. 
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 160 Deckhand
    Bad ****!!  You guys are hardcore. That is a picture to treasure over the years.