40 Miles Out of Clearwater 02-05-19

Lots of fog. Water was cold - 61 degrees. Snapper were skittish! Very clear water. Ended up having to drop leader way down and picked off about 45 snapper for the day. ARS were fired up everywhere. Jacks - same. Caught several keeper gags that went back too...sad only thing we can keep are snapper these days. 

Replies

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,118 Moderator
    Smile, you were fishing. Beats my Tuesday.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,118 Moderator
    Wow, nice brownies, a bomber and a snout. WTG Chris.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,121 Captain
    Wowsa...that is a hog...  What did he eat?
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 628 Officer
    What are the chances of the ARS being in this same depth around June? Never really targeted them before as my range is usually pretty limited, but recently on calm days I've been able to get out to 100-plus.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 986 Officer
    We fished 4-5 spots and each one was absolutely loaded with ARS and Jacks. I'm talking even small rock piles that I've never caught an ARS at ever before. As far as them being there come June? Hah, not a chance. 
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,861 Captain
    Nice table of fish, great Cobe
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • clarosaclarosa Posts: 581 Officer
    edited February 9 #9
    FusionZ06 said:
    We fished 4-5 spots and each one was absolutely loaded with ARS and Jacks. I'm talking even small rock piles that I've never caught an ARS at ever before. As far as them being there come June? Hah, not a chance. 
    You're telling me man...just completely infiltrated. Moved to 7 or 8 areas.  Can't be good for the mangos to have that much more competition. We'll see if the regs change after they make us put trackers on our boats. I doubt it will help but ive become a skeptic.
    Wowsa...that is a hog...  What did he eat?
    A shrimp on a knocker
    clarosa said:
    FusionZ06 said:
    You're telling me man...just completely infiltrated. Moved to 7 or 8 areas.  Can't be good for the mangos to have that much more competition. We'll see if the regs change after they make us put trackers on our boats. I doubt it will help but ive become a skeptic.
    The mangos don't stand a chance against the ARS. I was really frustrated fishing known good mango spots being overrun with ARS. It would take an hour just catching ARS before you might get a mango. Really a pain...I'm also talking big ARS not little 2lb fish. I'm talking 8-12lb fish! 
    FusionZ06 said:
    clarosa said:
    FusionZ06 said:
    The mangos don't stand a chance against the ARS. I was really frustrated fishing known good mango spots being overrun with ARS. It would take an hour just catching ARS before you might get a mango. Really a pain...I'm also talking big ARS not little 2lb fish. I'm talking 8-12lb fish! 
    Yea...i mean, my elbow is just shot from these **** ARS. I mean, when i say i myself catch 100's each trip, i won't be exaggerating. It's pretty bad. And now we're looking at a shorter red snapper season this year. It's unbelievable. Weeding through them is nearly impossible. Nearly all my mango numbers are rendered useless.
    clarosa said:
    FusionZ06 said:
    clarosa said:
    FusionZ06 said:
    Yea...i mean, my elbow is just shot from these **** ARS. I mean, when i say i myself catch 100's each trip, i won't be exaggerating. It's pretty bad. And now we're looking at a shorter red snapper season this year. It's unbelievable. Weeding through them is nearly impossible. Nearly all my mango numbers are rendered useless.
    I've been heavily mango fishing the last 10 years. Like fishing 2 days a week and the ARS are unreal. I mean, we really have to weed through them. It's unbelievable....I take guys out and they don't believe me how bad it is. Just sucks I can buy a ARS from Publix but can't keep one myself. Total nonsense....
    FusionZ06 said:
    clarosa said:
    FusionZ06 said:
    clarosa said:
    FusionZ06 said:
    I've been heavily mango fishing the last 10 years. Like fishing 2 days a week and the ARS are unreal. I mean, we really have to weed through them. It's unbelievable....I take guys out and they don't believe me how bad it is. Just sucks I can buy a ARS from Publix but can't keep one myself. Total nonsense....
    Sad but true. No end in sight. Wish I could afford a commercial quota just to rid some of my mango spots of some of the ARS so I could run charters to them again....or even simply catch fish I can keep again. 
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Who knows if it will do any good, but I sent an email to FWC commissioners about this.  I'll post reply if I get one.
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 718 Officer
     every trip - "Dad, It's nothing but ARS , can we move?"
    Last trip son said Dad you know i  can catch more ARS than pinfish ...lol
     i tell me kids growing up here we never caught ARS and they look at me like I'm nuts..
    GAG -July-Dec
    ARS - Jan-June  1 per person

bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,121 Captain
    And they won't be there in june.  Never are...
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 198 Deckhand
    And they won't be there in june.  Never are...
    Don't be shocked if they are - I was nailing ARS in 45-75 feet of water off Pasco and Hernando in June last year.  5 of us limited out on 1 spot and there were a lot more still there when we left.