Skip to main content
Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Halfway Ledge Jan 28 - 31, 2019

A bunch of fishing fools from the Jolly Roger made yet another trip on the Yankee Capts and had another unforgettable adventure. The weather was cool, the fish were unpredictable, the food was fantastic and we all caught dinner. Father and son team, Brian and John, were great fun to fish with and a 1st timer on the YC, from Maine, showed us all how to catch fish. Thanks Mel, Dan, Todd, Chad and Tom for a fun time!

Replies

• privateer19privateer19 Posts: 439 Deckhand
    Jeez Louise Cameron do you have your own bunk on the Yankee now? Pretty soon i expect to see you in the wheelhouse spelling Capt. Greg.... Looks like you had another great trip, thanks for the report and keep it up.
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,132 Officer
    edited February 2019 #3

Working on the pictures.  I can not resize them for some reason.

I was on the trip with Cameron and I agree that the fishing was certainly unpredictable and weird.  The weather the first day was great, seas probably 2 foot or less all day. 

Sunrise the first morning.

Sunset the first day

I had 2 good bites right off the bat.  As I came tight on the first bite, I could feel the line scraping against the bottom and shortly thereafter the leader broke.  About 15 minutes later I had another good bite from what felt like a big fish.  As soon as the fish dug for the bottom and I put pressure on it the main line (braid) broke above the top shot.  I didn’t have another bite until about 05:30 in the evening when I caught a nice mutton.  There were black fin tuna coming up periodically throughout the trip, especially for those who were jigging.  My fishing buddy, Mike caught 3 the first day.  Fish were caught here and there periodically throughout the day, but it was tough fishing especially considering the conditions.  As dinner time rolled around, I was ready for the great meal that Chad prepared.  I caught another small, but legal, mutton, a couple throwback red grouper and a small AJ before I went to bed about midnight. 

Mike with a nice Black Fin

Side Note:  I hate to see Jarrett (behind Mike, only picture I had) leave but wish him the best of luck as he moves up north to become a “Yankee”.

Chad’s crab cake appetizer and shrimp scampi

As luck would have it the best bit of the trip was from about midnight to 4 or 5 am the first night.  From what I understand there was a nice steady bite all night long, with some quality fish coming over the rail.  I can’t fish around the clock like I used to.  I need to get a few hours’ sleep sometime during the day.  Normally I try to sleep in the afternoon during the heat of the day, but the weather was so nice I kept thinking the fish had to turn on.  Oh well, it’s not the first time I missed the bite and won’t be the last. 

The next morning when I got up the weather was completely different then the day before.  Although the bite remained the same, at least for me.

Gray, cloudy and overcast

Everyone braced against the rail as it gets a little rockier

We ended up with 20 or 22 totes.  So obliviously someone caught some fish.  As Cameron said, it seemed one or two of the guys jigging always had a fish coming over the rail.  I’m learning, one of my red groupers was caught on a jig.  As always, a shout out to Greg and crew for another great trip and Chad for providing some of the best food I have ever eaten, on or off a boat.

Lyndon getting ready to hand out the fish. 

Mike with a nice red grouper.

• cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 528 Officer
    Thanks Bob! Tuesday nite we were invaded by flying fish and large mullet. About a hundred of each were swimming fast, circling the boat. Zoom, a school of mullet, followed close behind by flyers. Another school of hundreds of flyers were close to the stern, casually moving along with us, loads of sea snakes, sea robins, squid.
    edited February 2019 #5
    Cameron, I tried to sent you a message through the forum message system.   Did you receive it?
    Xaf said:
    Cameron, I tried to sent you a message through the forum message system.   Did you received it?
    I replied this morning...
    It hasn't shown up yet.
    Xaf said:
    It hasn't shown up yet.
    sent twice, sent again facebook messengr
    Thanks, Cameron.  I got it on FB Messenger.  Not sure what the deal is with messages on here.
  • TugasTugas Posts: 207 Deckhand
    Thank you both .. great report 
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,427 Officer
    A school of mullet?? Not every trip (or ever) you see that! 

Snaphappy said:
    A school of mullet?? Not every trip (or ever) you see that! 

There was a huge mullet hanging around the sea anchor rope in the daylight. Cudas picked at the fins and tail till it couldn't swim right, then lunched it.