Home General Hunting

More on the ticks.................

bswivbswiv Posts: 7,631 Admiral
One of the updates the FWC biologist gave us at our last bear meeting had to do with a "new" tick that they are seeing in Florida. Their best information indicates that it is capable of transmitting some pathogens that most of our native ticks do not transmit. Also they may carry something new.

There is enough interest in these ticks to where they've had the bear response folks do some collecting from bears to get a better handle on it. Whether these ticks are infesting deer and the like I've no idea.......but can not imagine they are not.

Also worth noting is that there is a different sort of mange showing up in Florida. Do not remember the whole discussion on that but do remember that it is more likely to kill a animal than the mange we are used to. Bears get it so I'd venture other animals will too.

Permethrin is your friend!

Replies

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,908 Captain
    I contracted Lyme nearly a decade ago in Ocala. I had the classic bullseye rash but my doctor blew it off. “Lyme doesn’t happen in Florida” he said. Only blood tests years later confirmed its presence. Had my doctor taken it seriously then, it may have been stopped before it did damage.

Take ticks seriously. Although in truth I don’t think there’s much you can do about it except stay out of the woods. I get covered with dozens of ticks sometimes on some summer scouting trips or spring turkey hunts. But the tick that gave me Lyme either came from a public boat ramp or a cow field. I found her on me in the cow field but had just left the boat basin on the river. It wasn’t the sort of trip where caking myself in deet would have seemed appropriate or necessary. I had taken my then girlfriend, now wife, fishing and we were carrying a 14 inch long shell cracker to a farm pond to turn it loose. 

I accept Lyme as the price I pay for the woods being my mistress. If I’m going to roll around with her, there will be consequences. 

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Fairly strong "unofficial, if you are knowledgeable in info collecting methods" evidence that Lymes Disease was introduced into the USA by three **** Germany agent who secretly crossed the Canadian border into New England in the summer of 1943. You'll not find anything out there about this, so don't waste your time searching.
  • smhsmh Posts: 299 Deckhand
    A while back, I read a book on a place called Lab 257 on Plum Island, NY.  It was recommended to me by an acquaintance who had contracted Lyme through his occupation as a taxidermist.  It was an interesting read to say the least.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 2,836 Captain
    I've been tick bit a few times years ago, and while I know permethrin can't guarantee against a tick bite, I gotta tell you I've never found a tick on my clothing or my body when using it. I judiciously apply it to mine and my families clothing when venturing out on any "field" trips these days. So far, so good.
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 728 Officer
    Interesting stuff...I'll take a look into it.
  • smhsmh Posts: 299 Deckhand
    Agreed on the permethrin.  I'm thinking of buying it in a concentrated bulk form so I can make my own clothing and gear "dip".  It's got to be cheaper (maybe more effective too, due to soaking vs. aerosol particles) than buying spray cans at the sporting goods department.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,099 AG
    That is a big shellcracker.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,206 Officer
    That is a big shellcracker.
    Lol I was thinking the same thing, is no one going to comment on the fact that he said 14 inch shell cracker? Thats a big one. 

On the side note, my sister said something about permethrin or however you spell it, I kinda ignored it but sounds like something worth checking out. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,839 AG
    Drink a tbl spoon of vinegar every morning and you won't get any ticks to latch on to you.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 441 Deckhand
    If using the 37% solution. 
    What oz would you say to use per gallon to soak ? 
    smh said:
    Agreed on the permethrin.  I'm thinking of buying it in a concentrated bulk form so I can make my own clothing and gear "dip".  It's got to be cheaper (maybe more effective too, due to soaking vs. aerosol particles) than buying spray cans at the sporting goods department.
    I did this when I lived in PA...Instead of a "dip", I put it in a garden sprayer. It made reapplication very easy. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,908 Captain
    I think I still have a picture where I measured it on a cooler’s ruler. I thought may have been a record. But alas, the state record is near 5lbs and I knew it wasn’t near that big. It was a solid 2 pounds I’d guess. About the size of some of my hybrid bluegill in my stock ponds. 
  • hunter1005hunter1005 Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    X2 on Micic_man  Drink a tbl spoon of apple cider vinegar (ACV) every morning and you won't get any ticks to latch on to you.   This is the only way help get rid of the infection also.  Took me about 6 mos.

Do not kill opossums.  They carry antibodies to kill lyme disease in ticks.
  • Grove1Grove1 Posts: 64 Deckhand
    You can buy Martin's permethrin concentrate (10%). I use about 3-4 oz per gallon of water and put it in a pump sprayer and spray clothing and boots every 5-6 weeks or so and it works great. I believe it is a toxin so wear gloves when in the liquid form. Once it is dry on the clothes, it should be totally safe. Making it your self is much cheaper and efficient than buying it already made.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,359 Captain
    Have y’all heard of alpha gal syndrome. Comes from the bite of a Lone star tick. You become allergic to red meat and pork 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alpha-gal-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20428608
    You should have been here yesterday
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,115 Officer
    Permitherin is deadly to cats when its wet. Im not a fan Of them but also wanted to let everyone know. The warden would prolly beat me like a drum if I poisoned her cat.
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 822 Officer
    My son got Lymes this fall. He got his shirt pulled out and didn't notice it exposed his skin. We ALWAYS use permetherin and HAD been lucky to date. He located a small tick under some "Fat Flab" (good reason to loose weight) 2 days after our scout. He removed it but started having "issues" days later. He went and got tested and the 10 elements that they test for Lymes one came back strong positive...making the diagnosis iffy. They send the blood out to another lab..but he said screw it..treat me NOW..so they gave him huge dose of antibiotics which also made him sick...The new lab came back positive for lymes so he got a head start!! He was just re-tested and the antibiotics did the job...it's gone and no damage.

Just make sure you tuck in long sleeve T shirts and socks in boots (tape it if you want) and use permetherin..NO exposed skin you can't monitor and CHECK CHECK CHECK when you get back in and shower..

I'm lucky..I got B- blood type and ticks/mosquitoes HATE my blood..I don't get bit. I read that B- blood does that with bloodsuckers..bad taste..Problem is the blood is rare and I'd have trouble getting any for a  transfusion if I ever needed one...Son is AB- and doesn't get bit too much but he'll still get munched every now and then
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 653 Officer
    Amen bfrog permethrin is everyone's best friend. Contracted limes in Germantown Maryland in 2012 before I started using it have never had a issue since using it
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,567 Captain

I started buying bulk permethrin from the feed store and mixing my own in a spray bottle to coat clothes.  Ratios are kinda hard to figure out but I went with the % the aerosol has. Bulk is like 10% and I cut it down to .5%. First used the store bought aerosol on a summer canoe portage trip in North MN and Canada and didn't have a bug so much as land on me. Sold. Been using it during Turkey season and no ticks (knock on wood).

Like others said, don't apply to skin, only clothing, spray outdoors and let dry.  I wear gloves and try not to spray on windy days too

GRIZZL said:
    My son got Lymes this fall. He got his shirt pulled out and didn't notice it exposed his skin. We ALWAYS use permetherin and HAD been lucky to date. He located a small tick under some "Fat Flab" (good reason to loose weight) 2 days after our scout. He removed it but started having "issues" days later. He went and got tested and the 10 elements that they test for Lymes one came back strong positive...making the diagnosis iffy. They send the blood out to another lab..but he said screw it..treat me NOW..so they gave him huge dose of antibiotics which also made him sick...The new lab came back positive for lymes so he got a head start!! He was just re-tested and the antibiotics did the job...it's gone and no damage.

Just make sure you tuck in long sleeve T shirts and socks in boots (tape it if you want) and use permetherin..NO exposed skin you can't monitor and CHECK CHECK CHECK when you get back in and shower..

I'm lucky..I got B- blood type and ticks/mosquitoes HATE my blood..I don't get bit. I read that B- blood does that with bloodsuckers..bad taste..Problem is the blood is rare and I'd have trouble getting any for a  transfusion if I ever needed one...Son is AB- and doesn't get bit too much but he'll still get munched every now and then
    Yikes...Glad your son is OK. 

Where did he contract it?
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    smh said:
    Lab 257 on Plum Island, NY.  
    I'm from up that way, and intimately familiar with the town of Lyme where Lyme disease got it's name in CT.

Bad stuff  I know at least 8 folks who have or had it.  1 was bedridden for an extended period of time and spent years seeking a cure.  Flipping doctors and insurance companies don't want to acknowledge it.
    Chongg said:
    GRIZZL said:

Yikes...Glad your son is OK. 

Where did he contract it?
    Toso
    Rich M said:
    smh said:
    Lab 257 on Plum Island, NY.  
    I'm from up that way, and intimately familiar with the town of Lyme where Lyme disease got it's name in CT.

Bad stuff  I know at least 8 folks who have or had it.  1 was bedridden for an extended period of time and spent years seeking a cure.  Flipping doctors and insurance companies don't want to acknowledge it.
    One of the head wardens on Merritt Island Nat Preserve retired on disability because it went untreated for too long. Know the symptoms and GET TREATMENT if you only THINK you contracted it. It can be cured with no side effects if you get treatment early....get tested and KNOW...

It's on the upswing...

I still say that the rodent population (White Footed Mouse) that carries Lymes is MUCH higher now because the snake population has been decimated by Hogs and people. Raptors are not enough to control the rodents..only the owl would take em at night whereas night is the snakes preferred time.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 829 Officer
    Have y’all heard of alpha gal syndrome. Comes from the bite of a Lone star tick. You become allergic to red meat and pork 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alpha-gal-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20428608
    Ive got it, made me the angriest **** vegetarian ever.
    Interesting side note, took my beagle to the vet, and she warned me about it...and mentioned that the tick has to bite a dog 1st to be a carrier.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper

Ive got it, made me the angriest **** vegetarian ever.
    Interesting side note, took my beagle to the vet, and she warned me about it...and mentioned that the tick has to bite a dog 1st to be a carrier.
    Dang Aaron, that’s got to be the worst. Sorry to hear
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 829 Officer
    edited February 2019 #27
    Mines not bad, i can get around it with benadryl. And only get wholebody hive effect.  Work with a guy that has to be careful of what his gelcaps are made with, he goes anaphylactic if they use animal protein in the skins. 
     Since you're a Vet, any truth to the Dog 1st idea, because ill feel bad about all the deer ive tagged with squirrel tips if true.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
    Mines not bad, i can get around it with benadryl. And only get wholebody hive effect.  Work with a guy that has to be careful of what his gelcaps are made with, he goes anaphylactic if they use animal protein in the skins. 
     Since you're a Vet, any truth to the Dog 1st idea, because ill feel bad about all the deer ive tagged with squirrel tips if true.
    I didn’t see anything about the dog in the paper I read, but I haven’t done a ton of research.  It’s pretty interesting, I’ll look into it. But it (for now) is a human disease, so it’s not something I deal with on a daily basis. Bad stuff man
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,992 Captain
    Best tick prevention on private land is FIRE, little buggers cant out run it.
    F the feds
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,631 Admiral
    Bodine said:
    Best tick prevention on private land is FIRE, little buggers cant out run it.
    Needs to be a consistent program to really have a big effect. Does not take long for the animals to drop new ones in the burned areas........unfortunately. 
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 286 Deckhand
    The lone start ticks have been found in toso so there here in central fl.