Pavilion Key to Lostman's?

Hey all, now that the park service is back up and running me and a few buddies are doing a double boat camping trip late next week and hoping to stay in the Pavilion Key to Lostman's area (depending on what sites we can reserve).  Any recent reports from that area you would care to share?  And/or what I might expect to find with the recent weather?  Looks to be east winds so hoping for some calm (and sunny) weather!  Thanks in advance for any help.  
Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke - Skini Rennie

Replies

• RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 717 Officer
    No tips on what/where and how for that area?  I am an artificial only guy and was hoping to throw some plugs and DOA shrimp around creek mouths and points but am open to any other suggestions...  
    Bob 

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 888 Officer
    Havent fished at all this year due to death in the family and these fronts pushing in on saturday or sunday....30 MPH gusts just arent alot of fun lol.. Will be out sunday. Will report back! 
    Jason :USA
    Thanks man!  I look forward to your report.  Sorry about your loss and hope you catch a bunch on your first trip back!  

Bob 

• bbuczko1bbuczko1 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Try looking at some of the bights that scatter that area south from pavillion towards lostmans also majority of the hard outer islands points should be holding some trout. Good luck!
  • Reel4ReelReel4Reel Posts: 438 Deckhand
    Not much on the outside if water temps in low 60s.  Inside lots of small snook and trout and reds.
    Thanks guys!  Recent NOAA weather buoy at Lostman's says H20 temp is 72 degrees. Can that be correct? Hoping that gets them chewing if so! 
    Bob 

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 888 Officer
    RennieRae said:
    Thanks guys!  Recent NOAA weather buoy at Lostman's says H20 temp is 72 degrees. Can that be correct? Hoping that gets them chewing if so! 
    Yes that can be correct. 
    I went out sunday and unfortunately dont know what water temp was as my simrad head unit took a crap.
    We didnt go any further south then hog key (launched in goodland) We caught several snook to 30"s, lots of trout, got into a school of 18-20"ers. All fish were caught on the outside on artificial like mirrodines and small swim baits.
    Jason :USA
    Fantastic!  Thanks 1outlaw.  I always have a Mirrodine tied on!  I appreciate your report and hope to have one in return next week.  
    Bob 

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,097 Captain
    edited February 6 #10
    You've got the correct water temps - up inside Whitewater Bay yesterday we found water temps up to almost 76 (and yes the giant tarpon were there as well - look for today's fishing report over on the south Florida board...).

In general, though, water temps will be a bit lower out on the coast than you'll find in shallow bays up inside this time of year.  The inside does take some learning though...  In the meantime you can be sure we have more than a few cold fronts coming before we hit April and everything begins warming up properly... A sharp front can drop outside water temps like a stone each winter (that nice 72 could turn into 62 degree waters in just a day or two if the wrong weather comes this way...).  Me? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the mild spell holds for a few more days....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Thanks again for all of the help guys.  We camped on Turkey Key Thursday and Friday and Jewel Key on Saturday night.  Caught all of the trout that we ever wanted on the outside islands when the tide was flowing. Plover, New Turkey, Pavilion and Jewel key all held respectable fish with the average size about 17" and very fat.  Caught one real nice one at 23" and had plenty of dinner for 5 guys over the open fire 2 of 3 nights...  Water was 75 degrees on the outside in late afternoon.  The fish all wanted 4 to 5" swimbaits/jigs and/or chartreuse Mirrodine Catch 2000 with gold sides (biggest fish ate this).  
    Bob 

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,038 Admiral
    Good Job!!
     The fishing was just a part of it. The Memories and the Sunsets will last long after the Trout have been fried up..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 106 Deckhand
    We camped on Jewel over New Years and had the same experience with the trout. We could have just packed water and eaten well. I caught a bunch of short reds on gulp along the inshore shoreline of jewel as well. It is pretty cool seeing the sunrise over the water on one side of Jewel in the AM, then set on the other side in the PM. Highlight of the trip was the 29" red my buddy caught off the oyster bars on the way back in. It was his first time kayak fishing.