Home Off Topic

Wonder what Bear Bryant would think of this?

Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
Florida football coach flies in on a helicopter for recruiting visit.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/photogallery/LK/20190129/SPORTS/129009979/PH/1

Vote for the other candidate

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,395 Admiral
    Another example of why I don't consider college football to be an amateur sport.  It is a big business.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

Who cares?

He's dead.

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    kellercl said:
    Another example of why I don't consider college football to be an amateur sport.  It is a big business.
    We agree!!
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

BTW that is a trick borrowed directly from the current coach of Bear Bryant's team.

And it is cheesy as hell.

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,074 Moderator
    The kids love it. And that's who the coaches are trying to impress.

The new coach at Tech has done it a couple of times. In conversation he has stated it's now about showing your school is big league , on par with other schools that have done it before.

Bear Bryant wouldn't recognize college ball today nor the corporate CEO structure Saban has made mandatory.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral

Kirby Smart must have learned it from Saban.

On another note, we sold our King Air to the UGA Athletic Association. I think the charter the choppa though.

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
    So did Dabo.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    A basketball coach for nc state did the same for a basketball recruit at my high school. In 1990. Nothing new here
    You should have been here yesterday
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,680 AG
    Same thing they thought When Taggart landed in a helicopter to visit Kaiir Elam. 

all the coaches do it now. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,067 Captain
    As to the original question, Bear would have gotten the boosters to by a fleet of them if he had thought about it. 
    The same thing everyone else thinks.
    "Those Goaters are stupider than they look."
    :D Do you know “stupider” is not a word?
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,680 AG
    You know he doesn't. He graduated from the University of Georgia. He can't even spell Gators correctly. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain

stupider
    Really. Really! That is sad.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    edited February 2019 #15
    cadman said:
      He graduated from the University of Georgia.
    I would have to see the certificate to believe he graduated from high school let alone college. I don't know anyone who graduated from college that would use a term like that.
    How can I make than my signature  :D
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    "Stupider is the comparative form of the adjective stupid. Because stupid is a two-syllable word, it's comparative form can be created either by adding the suffix “-er” or by using more. The same goes for the superlative form of stupid. It can be either the stupidest or the most stupid."

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
    edited February 2019 #18
    According to Merriam Webster it isn’t a word
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,127 Admiral
    ,Saltygatorvet said:
    According to GA's blog it is
    edited February 2019 #20

"We list stupider and stupidest as the comparative and superlative forms of stupid, because that is what they are. They are honest-to-goodness, one-hundred-percent, grade-A, real words. In case anyone tries to tell you otherwise here is a small sample of them being used in edited prose over the ages."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

edited February 2019 #21
    I don't care what Merriam claims, "stupidier" isn't a real word.  

Also your and you're are not equivalent.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    edited February 2019 #22
    Not really.  Merriam has been in the habit of putting nonsense in their dictionary like ridonculous.  I think they also added irregardless.  Merriam is a joke at this point.  Christ they probably recognize ain't as well.  

-Walter Payton
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,871 Admiral
    Conchy was right about a word.  Now if he could only be right about something related to sports.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    It seems stupider to me to spend that kind of dough to try and recruit an 18 year old athlete.  And stupider yet to pay the state employee that kind of salary.

But that just me. 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    Not only stupid, but excessively indulgent.  For some reason, most of our society supports this. I never got it, and shake my head when they wonder why we lag so far behind in education and general "smarts" compared to other developed countries despite having every advantage.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    Mister-Jr said:
    It seems stupider to me to spend that kind of dough to try and recruit an 18 year old athlete.  And stupider yet to pay the state employee that kind of salary.

But that just me. 
    i totally agree.

but.......UF brings in $150 million in revenue and they need top recruits to keep that up.  And the state portion of the employee salary isn't that high.  That's the argument used to justify it.
    edited February 2019 #27
    Irregardless it ain't that much stupidier than it is ridonculous.  Not too mention your too obsessed with the gators.

-Walter Payton
    edited February 2019 #28
    To be clear Keller, “stupider” is not listed in the Merrium Webster or any other dictionary. Seems some whacky sources claim it is a word, but nothing credible. What’s so funny is how fritter is defending it. I doubt he graduated from UGA, but  if they let him graduate, it would say a lot about  the quality of education there
  • wynnvwynnv Posts: 383 Deckhand
    I thought this was a thread about wonder what Bear Bryant would think?.... back on topic....... I wonder what Bear would of thought about football players carrying purses on the sideline?
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,871 Admiral
    edited February 2019 #30
    Poor Conchy......I feel bad for him sometimes because he knows not what he has done. 😢
    2amigo said:
    Poor Conchy......I feel bad for him sometimes because he knows not what he has done. 😢
     :D