Pineland 1/29

This was the first outing in new for me in my Mako Pro Skiff 17 that I found in WI. Last year I limited on trout almost every outing at Pineland so was wondering what the red tide had done to this area. When launching I saw a charter taking 4 people out and asked him how the trout action was and he said good luck, there are none around and they were targeting sheepshead. It was the first day I awhile with decent wind forecast and waited to launch until 10AM so air temp could get above 50. Tide was terrible but we had caught trout in such tides in the past.

We fished my 4 most productive areas with 2 of us slowly working popping cork and gulp shrimp and I threw a new to me SST Slayer paddletail that really wiggles despite a slow retrieve. Three guys 5 hours 3 bites and no fish. Only saw one trout that I missed next to the boat and one very small fish that followed to the boat. The fish we did see went flying by in the beak of the osprey. Never saw a mullet jump. In the areas that typically were clean clear water last year looked unchanged.

The captain we talked to in the AM was cleaning sheepshead and I got the “I told you so” when I reported. He was kind enough to suggest I try the Matlacha area so I guess exploring new waters is on the menu. I also have fished Estero quite a bit but reports from there are about as bad as mine from yesterday. Someone else said Marco Island area producing some fish.

Grey Beard

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,663 Moderator
    Hey Gray Beard  That Mako should serve you well.  Thanks for the detailed report as to how you did. We need reports with details like you gave, not just ones showing a chest full of fish and no details.
    Thanks keep them coming.
    larrywitt
  • chicochico Punta Gorda and PennsylvaniaPosts: 537 Officer
    Thanks for the report!! 
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 590 Officer
    There's some trout in shallow mixed in with the reds and snook, but they are not even targetable right now, and I've been treating the ones I do catch like a baby, making sure they safely swim off. I've been having the same luck on the flats. With this cold weather sheepshead are pretty much the only game in town right now.
  • TimGleasonTimGleason Posts: 289 Deckhand
    The old guys around the neighborhood say trout pickings are pretty slim this year.  Been pounding the snook, reds and tarpon though in the Matlacha Pass area.  I tend to pick up a real big trout in shallow while fishing for snook and reds every trip though as by catch.  Seems like the meat guys are pounding the sheepies.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,282 Admiral
    Trout got hammered during the red tide/blue green algae event. Looks like FWC has decided to atleast close the Trout 20 inches and over for awhile. Step in the right direction. As far as i'm concerned Trout on my boat are strictly catch and release this year.