Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

recommended spread

What is a good spread for March / April in the middle keys to catch dolphin, tuna, kings etc. I can handle up 4 rods and dont have any outriggers.
Like to know type of lure, distance etc.

Any help is appreciated as trolling is still a bit new for me.

Replies

• MGDMGD Posts: 1,133 Officer
    Get a couple of those outrodders or if u have rod holders on the side of your T Top u can put rods there to get a better separation. Also if u have rod folder on the back of your T Top..add a shotgun there.
    But an easy spread is a couple smaller artificials (I like the smaller rattlejets) on the 2 flat lines past the prop wash.
    I like to run them off a clip close to the transom because the dart better. If u don't have clips, big rubber bands to a cleats will do the same
    Then a couple rigged bally on the longer lines. U can run them naked, w skirts or w lures in front of them

• killintimekillintime Posts: 263 Deckhand
    X2 on the tiny rattlejets & would add some tuna darts, they are tiny mylar islanders in pink and blue/white.
  • mbakxmbakx Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    So past the prop wash is like second wave behind ?
    How far for the naked / skirted ballyhoo ?
    mbakx said:
    So past the prop wash is like second wave behind ?
    How far for the naked / skirted ballyhoo ?
    Don't know...my 23 footer doesn't necessarily have waves behind the boat.
    Look back, when your prop wash comes clean...that is end of prop wash
    3 times further back for long ones depending on if it is rough or not...rough I bring them in a little closer

• bonebone Posts: 1,146 Officer
    1 Tuna feather like a tuna toast way back (100 yards) rigged on 50 pound fluro leader. run in center if possible
    2 naked ballyhoo opposite side 150 feet back on a copper release wire
    3 blue/white iislander with a hoo portside 100 feet
    4 bonita color X rap 30 on a cable 50 feet starboard
    this enables you to turn sharp and chase birds
    will catch tuna, mahi,wahoo, and sails
    bone said:
    1 Tuna feather like a tuna toast way back (100 yards) rigged on 50 pound fluro leader. run in center if possible
    2 naked ballyhoo opposite side 150 feet back on a copper release wire
    3 blue/white iislander with a hoo portside 100 feet
    4 bonita color X rap 30 on a cable 50 feet starboard
    this enables you to turn sharp and chase birds
    will catch tuna, mahi,wahoo, and sails
    School me on how this is better for tight turns. If the baits are about equal  length out, then when u turn one goes short (inside one) and outside one is longer so they don't get tangled.
    If you stagger them as u suggest, on the turn to the long side, wouldn't it tangle w the shorter one? (or opposite maybe??)

• bonebone Posts: 1,146 Officer
    Depends on wind direction also. I also will put the long line up on the t top rocket launcher, and the short line on a release clip on gunnel. Then you basically deal with the 2 middle lines which are placed port and starboard in the tilted out rod holders. i do this same spread when using the out riggers. i just run ballyhoo on them 3&4 distance back