Home Off Topic

Over under on a cure for cancer

treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,031 Admiral
A small team of Israeli scientists think they might have found the first complete cure for cancer.

“We believe we will offer in a year’s time a complete cure for cancer,” said Dan Aridor, of a new treatment being developed by his company, Accelerated Evolution Biotechnologies Ltd. (AEBi), which was founded in 2000 in the ITEK incubator in the Weizmann Science Park. AEBi developed the SoAP platform, which provides functional leads to very difficult targets.

“Our cancer cure will be effective from day one, will last a duration of a few weeks and will have no or minimal side-effects at a much lower cost than most other treatments on the market,” Aridor said. “Our solution will be both generic and personal.”
We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends

Replies

• Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain

Let's hope that team doesn't disappear in the near future.

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,074 Moderator
    It would be a wonderful thing if it materializes..

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 2,032 Captain
    Hopefully it’s something that truly works. I’ve lost track of how many times someone has announced a possible cancer cure, only to find it’s not the magic bullet.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    There are already to many people in the world.  This will make things worse. 
    23895.gif
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Too much money in the "treatments". Never happen.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,624 AG
    Praying it's true.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,595 AG
    Hopefully it’s something that truly works. I’ve lost track of how many times someone has announced a possible cancer cure, only to find it’s not the magic bullet.
    What he said

Captain Todd Approves

• hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,382 Captain
    ALL cancers?

"will have a duration of two weeks"....whats that mean?
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,427 Admiral

Let's hope that team doesn't disappear in the near future.

Yea....there's way too much money involved.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,031 Admiral
    hatcity said:
    ALL cancers?

"will have a duration of two weeks"....whats that mean?
    Supposedly treatment duration. From what I understand and heard today. It's a simple treatment regimen. Like taking a round of antibiotics

Sounds amazing
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,549 AG
    I really hope it’s true. I wonder if they isolated a marker that every type of cancer has and normal cells do not? I just can’t see it being effective across the spectrum of cancers otherwise? 
       It would change civilization.
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,871 Admiral
    I found out today my neighbor across the street is in hospice from breast cancer.  She in her late 30’s with a 10 year old little girl. We have been watching this going on for the last 2 years. My wife has been bringing them dinner occasionally and my 8 years old son plays with her daughter and comes over to our house a lot. Very sad situation. Hope this works out.  
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,922 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #14
    If something sounds too good to be true.....
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,395 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #15
    I read it has to be custom made per the cancer and to the genetic makeup of the person.  That will be a costly barrier but still an impressive technology.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    how long until it is truly available? cost?

would love to see it today as I am possibly looking at chemo soon
    edited January 2019 #17
    Supposedly it's cheap compared to regular cancer treatment. It's supposed to attack the protease. From what I've read it works equally well in all cancers

From the Jurasalem Post

Morad said they had to identify why other cancer-killing drugs and treatments don’t work or eventually fail. Then, they found a way to counter that effect.

For starters, most anti-cancer drugs attack a specific target on or in the cancer cell, he explained. Inhibiting the target usually affects a physiological pathway that promotes cancer. Mutations in the targets – or downstream in their physiological pathways – could make the targets not relevant to the cancer nature of the cell, and hence the drug attacking it is rendered ineffective.

In contrast, MuTaTo is using a combination of several cancer-targeting peptides for each cancer cell at the same time, combined with a strong peptide toxin that would kill cancer cells specifically. By using at least three targeting peptides on the same structure with a strong toxin, Morad said, “we made sure that the treatment will not be affected by mutations; cancer cells can mutate in such a way that targeted receptors are dropped by the cancer.”
    Supposedly it's cheap compared to regular cancer treatment. It's supposed to attack the protease. From what I've read it works equally well in all cancers

From the Jurasalem Post

Morad said they had to identify why other cancer-killing drugs and treatments don’t work or eventually fail. Then, they found a way to counter that effect.

For starters, most anti-cancer drugs attack a specific target on or in the cancer cell, he explained. Inhibiting the target usually affects a physiological pathway that promotes cancer. Mutations in the targets – or downstream in their physiological pathways – could make the targets not relevant to the cancer nature of the cell, and hence the drug attacking it is rendered ineffective.

In contrast, MuTaTo is using a combination of several cancer-targeting peptides for each cancer cell at the same time, combined with a strong peptide toxin that would kill cancer cells specifically. By using at least three targeting peptides on the same structure with a strong toxin, Morad said, “we made sure that the treatment will not be affected by mutations; cancer cells can mutate in such a way that targeted receptors are dropped by the cancer.”
    was almost exactly one year for two meds I had..I'm on #4 now
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    Big Pharma will find out if its truly a cure and if it is the slay the team and destroy the cure. Big pharma rules the world. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    But if it is cheap enough, Big Health Ins will hire body guards.

Captain Todd Approves

Or Big Pharma will buy the cure and sell it.

Captain Todd Approves

Here is Big Farma 

Captain Todd Approves

• Gary SGary S Posts: 2,259 Captain
    mplspug said:
    But if it is cheap enough, Big Health Ins will hire body guards.
    Insurance companies don't want a cure anymore than pharmaceutical companies do.
    They do if it improves the bottom line.

Captain Todd Approves

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,190 Captain
    big pharma gets a lot of blame for prices, and I am not denying the reasons..

however; I don't think most people realize the $costs associated with the production of drugs.  The FDA regulations alone are astronomical.  Not to mention the actual costs of developing new drugs, many of which take ~10 years to pass FDA tests for sales. 
    I was recently at a 2Billion$ facility expansion for a pharma company...  That $ doesn't include the 24HR operating costs...  

Just saying...  
    *i honestly think the FDA approval process could be revamped and help get drugs to market quicker and faster. 
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,259 Captain

however; I don't think most people realize the $costs associated with the production of drugs.  The FDA regulations alone are astronomical.  Not to mention the actual costs of developing new drugs, many of which take ~10 years to pass FDA tests for sales. 
    I was recently at a 2Billion$ facility expansion for a pharma company...  That $ doesn't include the 24HR operating costs...  

Just saying...  
    *i honestly think the FDA approval process could be revamped and help get drugs to market quicker and faster. 
    If they have all this money tied up, why do they sell the same drug in other countries cheaper than this country?
    This is a copy of a post in another forum. He explains the reason for price differences

Check with your local independent pharmacy too (full disclosure, I am an independent pharmacist). Here's the truth, most of the drugs on those $4, $7.50, etc drug lists actually cost fractions of a penny per pill. Go to an independent and most times they will match or beat those prices if they can get all your business. Here's a couple of the secrets. We sign a contract with a PBM (pharmacy benefit manager) who handles your insurance. A part of those contracts that I sign states that I cannot tell you if a drug is cheaper without insurance UNLESS YOU ASK. If I just tell you the cash price, they could cancel my contract which would make it impossible to compete with the chains. Also, I don't get to keep all of that $20 copay. Nope, the PBM hits me with fees so they can keep the majority of the copay (google prescription clawback for a better understanding). Very often, I would make more money selling it to you as a cash customer, and you would pay less out of pocket. 
    PBM's are the problem, complain to your insurance company and more importantly representatives/senators if you want real change. Also, take all of your prescriptions to an independent, tell them what you are currently paying out of pocket, ASK IF THEY ARE CHEAPER WITHOUT INSURANCE, and I'll bet they will beat the other prices.
    Last note, GoodRx is nothing but a middle man for chain pharmacies. They add no value to the transaction. In most cases, my cash prices are cheaper than the price advertised on GoodRx
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,552 Admiral
    tankard said:

This ^  It will bankrupt too many very large companies. 

Without cancer there would be a population problem already.

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,190 Captain
    Gary S said:

If they have all this money tied up, why do they sell the same drug in other countries cheaper than this country?
    I honestly don't know?  Is the foreign country supplementing the costs?  Is the drug manufacturered in that country, at a cheaper cost? (I have traveled to facilities in Mexico, and obviously the operating $ is lower than the US)

I am not saying I have the answer; but, up until my last job, I did not understand what all went into the development/manufacturing of drugs. 
    *i do not work for a pharma company, but in a related fields. 
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    King_Me said:
    tankard said:

Without cancer there would be a population problem already.

While cancer is in the top 10 there are many other diseases that cause more death worldwide than cancer. Heart disease is the number one cause I believe.

Just saying...  
    I agree,  And most people are f'n clueless when it comes to why healthcare is so high here in the States beyond the fact we are an obese nation where drugs are prevalent. 

Captain Todd Approves