Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Help with mid March fishing....

I have yet to fish the springtime since I have moved here and have a buddy coming down in mid March. Would like to get him on some fish and any info is appreciated. I was thinking fishing the backs of Caladesi, Honeymoon and Three Rooker and maybe the passes and beaches if it’s calm. Or up in the bay around Safety Harbor. Would these be productive areas at that time? Also should we be using live bait or artificials and flies ok? Thanks!

Replies

• TooLooseTooLoose Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Remo,
    All those areas can be great. Mid march should start spring patters. Maybe a bit too early to bank on beach snook fishing, but they should start moving in that direction.
    All techniques can work great. Bait should start showing up by then too.
  • T.CovT.Cov Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    If the weather stays warm and Spring-like until that time, the inshore snook bite should be on fire around backcountry areas as the fish start transitioning from winter homes to summer homes. I’ve had good luck working deeper mangrove shorelines or passes around these areas. I have also had success casting deep into the mangroves root systems to catch redfish. For bait, whitebait is like candy for these fish and you can catch numerous snook if you find the right spot with feeding fish. 
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 237 Deckhand
    I assume you have a boat or kayak?  Weedon Island State Park can have an absolutely insane snook bite at times... wading or a kayak around weedon may be an option for you.  In the Safety Harbor/Oldsmar area - google upper tampa bay park. It has a kayak launch and good fishing in the winter/springtime.  Very challenging to get into there by boat though.

Good luck!
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak