red mangroves

is it legal to collect the seeds of the red mangrove for propagation. obviously no rooted ones but free floaters and recent high tide drop offs?
rent my beach house

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,097 Captain
    make contact with the FWC ... If they don't know - they'll know who to send you to.. myfwc.com

I've never heard of any protections for the seeds... but who knows - go to the source..
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,488 Officer
    I was hoping somebody here would know?
    rent my beach house
  • Eric BEric B Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    Yes you may take as many from the ground or water floating you would like. Best to store them in the orientation that they would grow (vertical brown tip down) in a 5 gallon bucket of water.
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Thanks Eric I hope you're right. I have collected them in the past, easy to grow I have a pond and Grew some Good size ones in about 10 years. I love the prop roots they are cool looking to me.
    rent my beach house
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,377 Moderator
    My son collected a bunch and grew them in water of various salinity for a 7th grade science project.  This was about 25 years ago
  • I have one 6' tall in the small water feature at my front door. Easy to grow and do fine in fresh water. The prop roots are spectacular.
  • FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,383 Officer
    edited February 11 #8
    Thanks Eric I hope you're right. I have collected them in the past, easy to grow I have a pond and Grew some Good size ones in about 10 years. I love the prop roots they are cool looking to me.
    Didn’t know they could grow in Freshwater.  Thanks.