Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Anyone have a good recipe for quail that you'd share with us?

WhitetailWhitetail Posts: 154 Deckhand
We had the good fortune to end up with 50 or so quail over the weekend. I've always just fried them, but was hoping the brain trust here might be able to give me some good suggestions or ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 295 Deckhand
    Just about any way you cook them. We use to grill them. Mom use to cook them with doves rabbit squirrels in a big pot of gravy.  When we grilled them its the same as chicken for seasoning. Now I miss moms cooking it was always good. So all I can do is guess it be like a stew with quail.
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 907 Officer
    edited January 2019 #3
    Pre heat a sheet pan in the oven at your preferred roasting temperature. Salt+pepper+nonstick cooking spray on the skin side of the spatchcocked quail (cut out the spine, press down to break the wishbone and flatten them... essentially butterflying the whole bird). Put them on the hot sheet pan skin side down, season the meat side, and roast to your preferred doneness (I like them pretty pink, just like duck). Perfect with a red wine reduction of any sort, and great with wild rice or some flavorful potatoes as a side. 

Should come out with very crispy skin and juicy meat.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • WhitetailWhitetail Posts: 154 Deckhand
    That sounds awesome. Wouldn't have thought about butterflying them. Really do appreciate the insight!
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 907 Officer
    Whitetail said:
    That sounds awesome. Wouldn't have thought about butterflying them. Really do appreciate the insight!
    Seriously, try spatchcocking any whole bird (especially turkey). It exposes more meat to the direct heat and lets the entire thing cook much more quickly, which means that the white meat and dark meat cook at more similar rates and thus the white meat doesn't get dry nearly as easily. Revolutionized how I do whole chickens and turkeys. Plenty of Youtube tutorials if you're curious.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • BodineBodine Posts: 3,077 Captain
    Do not overcook them, ruined
    F the feds
  • GLFIshGLFIsh Atlanta, GAPosts: 11 Greenhorn

ROASTED QUAIL STUFFED WITH A CREOLE OYSTER DRESSING

2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons minced shallots
    1/2 chopped onion
    1/2 chopped celery rib
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 cup reserved oyster liquid
    2 cups raw oysters, chopped
    3 cups dense day-old white bread, cut into 1-cubes
    Salt and pepper
    4 quail, split
    Salt and pepper
    1/2 cup melted unsalted butter

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a large saute pan. Add shallots, onions, and celery. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue sauteing for 1 minute. Add the oyster liquid and bring to a simmer. Add the oysters and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Place in a large bowl with bread cubes and season with salt and pepper.

To prepare quail, season the quail very well including the inside meat with salt and pepper. Stuff each quail with 2 ounces of the stuffing, and brush with butter. Roast quail about 20 minutes.

Yield: 2 servings or 4 appetizers

• hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,324 Officer
    edited June 2019 #8
    Simple smothered quail... feeds 2 hungry people. Take 6 spatchcocked quails, and pat dry. Combine 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 teaspoon table salt, 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon Cajun spice or Emerils Essence, about 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper. Dredge quails in the flour, shake off excess flour back into the bowl and set aside. Save the remaining flour mixture. 

In a cast iron pan, heat about 3/4 of a cup of frying oil to about 360-370 and fry quail in two batches,meat side down for three minutes or so and then flip for a minute. They should be nicely golden brown. Remove quail. Pour off all but a quarter cup of the oil and heat the oil to make a browned roux. (If you want to get fancy, at this point add a half cup each of diced onion and celery and a 1/4 cup of bell pepper, cook till the onions are translucent.) Stir in a heaping quarter cup of the reserved flour and cook till browned, then slowly stir in 2 cups of liquid, water, low salt chicken stock, or a mixture (you can add some wine or cream or milk here) Bring to a boil stirring constantly to thicken, reduce to a simmer then add the quails back in for about 15 minutes till nice and tender. Add 1/4 tsp of thyme, taste and adjust for salt and pepper and cook for five more minutes, Serve over white rice (or mashed potatoes if you're a #$%* yankee)

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 527 Officer
    GLFIsh said:

ROASTED QUAIL STUFFED WITH A CREOLE OYSTER DRESSING

2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons minced shallots
    1/2 chopped onion
    1/2 chopped celery rib
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 cup reserved oyster liquid
    2 cups raw oysters, chopped
    3 cups dense day-old white breaat sounds good!d, cut into 1-cubes
    Salt and pepper
    4 quail, split
    Salt and pepper
    1/2 cup melted unsalted butter

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a large saute pan. Add shallots, onions, and celery. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue sauteing for 1 minute. Add the oyster liquid and bring to a simmer. Add the oysters and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Place in a large bowl with bread cubes and season with salt and pepper.

To prepare quail, season the quail very well including the inside meat with salt and pepper. Stuff each quail with 2 ounces of the stuffing, and brush with butter. Roast quail about 20 minutes.

Yield: 2 servings or 4 appetizers

Jesus, that sounds good!
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • WhitetailWhitetail Posts: 154 Deckhand
    Thanks everyone! I'm so hungry now.... All of these sound good to me!