Home General Hunting

Why No Centerfire Rifles on WMA Small Game Seasons

Replies

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 2,833 Captain
    Geezus, just get a $2-300  Remington 870 and go have at it!  Problems solved! What's all the fuss about?
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,662 Captain
    ^^^This
    Noticed they lifted the shot size restriction this year on Lochloosa WMA, Guessing others also??
    I got a nice little 20 gauge that can do anything I want within 50 yards. A pleasure to carry too
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Joshscott84Joshscott84 Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    I have a pump action 12 gauge maverick.

Wanting to use my rifle(s)

but I'm seeing now the reasoning, how to get around it, and really what I need to do.
    Either I need to stick to private land, quota hunt, or hunt general gun with the rest of the deer hunters.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    I'm also in the leave centerfire rifles out of small game seasons for most of the same reasons mentioned already. I've noticed folks with high magazine clips really enjoy expelling a lot of ammo in a short perid of time. It may be the old spray and pray mantra. Seems some folks don't like to load the clips and then take that one accurate shot on a critter - or maybe they do, my mind can be changed. At the range it is fun to empty the auto - yet when hunting, I prefer marksmanship with my hunting rigs.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,942 AG
    I don't like hog as small game, just me but really screws up the true small game folks..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I'm also in the leave centerfire rifles out of small game seasons for most of the same reasons mentioned already. I've noticed folks with high magazine clips really enjoy expelling a lot of ammo in a short perid of time. It may be the old spray and pray mantra. Seems some folks don't like to load the clips and then take that one accurate shot on a critter - or maybe they do, my mind can be changed. At the range it is fun to empty the auto - yet when hunting, I prefer marksmanship with my hunting rigs.
    I actually have true 5 round steel mags for my 556 and my rounds are about a buck each. I don't want to fire more than one round per hog.
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,298 Officer
    Idiot Factor 
    you always have to add the Idiot factor into law.
    Idiot: with only 1 large Caliber rifle will go squirrel hunting 
    Im sure many here can come up with more Idiot hunts, than I just 
    mentioned.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 651 Officer
    My opinion this regulation is a joke. Just uninformed people making laws that don't make sense. 75% of wma land wouldn't let a Centerfire rifle bullet travel any farther than any slug or buckshot. It's just too thick. Put hogs and coyotes in there own nuisance category let em be hunted day or night with caliber of hunters choice. 
    zimmy4209 said:
    My opinion this regulation is a joke. Just uninformed people making laws that don't make sense. 75% of wma land wouldn't let a Centerfire rifle bullet travel any farther than any slug or buckshot. It's just too thick. Put hogs and coyotes in there own nuisance category let em be hunted day or night with caliber of hunters choice. 
    Sounds like common sense to me but I'm new to this. Plus, whenever has common sense and regulation ever been on the same side of the fence.... Ehh just means I need to figure out where and when to shoot hogs and work within those bounds. Not trying to place anyone in added danger.

Private lands will probably be the way to go.
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 286 Deckhand
    Use a BP your good to 150 or a rifled slug gun will be the same. Personally I rather use my 06 for the pigs does a way better and more accurate job. You can get a 22 mag - head shoot
    edited January 2019 #42
    My question how do you make a rim fire shell.  
  • wayviswayvis FloridaPosts: 136 Deckhand
    What's alarming to me about this thread is the amount of hunters that thinks centerfire riles are dangerous. I have heard many non hunters say the same thing about guns. This kind of talk will have us all using shotguns for all hunting.
    Just to single out centerfire rifles because they shoot farther or can have a large clip is nonsense. I usually hear these kinds of comments for the non hunting public.
    Those kind of comments from other non hunting users is a big reason why you can't use centerfire rifles on multiuse WMAs. Multiuse WMAs are the ones that during hunts the general public can also use them to hike, horseback ride, etc.
    When hogs became legal game during small game, most if not all WMA's allowed Blackpowder rifles. Now I see some do not allow BP rifles. Why is this?

edited January 2019 #44
    I think allot of you rifle hunters would be deeply upset about the deer hunting regs in a hell hole state like Iowa or Illinois.

Enjoy it  while you can. For most of you, these are the good ol days. The truth of the matter in a place like FL, we are overcrowded, lacking adequate, open, recreational real estate on most public areas to use long range weapons. Not to mention, the different levels of greed and ignorance in many of the younger generation to kill the biggest and the most so they can brag it up on the internet, driving them to take unnecessary risks... I've never been an advocate for more regulation and less liberty (and I'm not now) but, after seeing the behavior perpetuated in the field by some of you jack **** out there in the last 15 years or so, I'm surprised we aren't left with throwing rocks at animals, let alone using a firearm....
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,020 Captain
    Not always the case Big Mak.  My brother used to not be allowed to use centerfire rifle during gun season where he lives in Indiana and now they can.  The fear of centerfire rifles in heavily populated areas has been around since I was a kid in many states so nothing new here IMO.  But I agree if a certain segment of the hunting population continue to do stupid things and our population in FL continues to grow, we may see more restrictions.  Frankly the statistics bear out the fact that hunting (other than tree stand falls) is a safe pasttime for us and non-hunters using the same areas as the hunters so hopefully we can hold off more restrictions.  

edited January 2019 #46
    While I generally agree Dorado, I think you will continue to see a decline in rifle use on many areas in FL. It's unfortunate, but the idiot factor in our ranks will couple with the fear/hate factor in the anti hunt/gun crowd to increasingly drive more regulation. That's what my Crystal balls tell me, and they are never wrong.

Maybe Bullfrog is unknowingly staying ahead of the curve with his airgun use? Only time will tell.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,603 Captain
    edited January 2019 #47
    I have been under the impression that WMA Small Game Season center file rifle ban was due to law enforcement desires...... less prone to take big game.
    Of course, the use of center fire handgun during small game is allowed......and this comment will be cause for replies. Center fire rifles expressly prohibited, center fire handguns not noted, but not noted as prohibited either.I have made specific inquiry to FWCC concerning small game season centerfire handgun and in the majority of cases.....😎....was informed allowed.It would be interesting and helpful to see WMA small game regs specifically, expressly note center fire handgun allowed.
    Center fire handgun during small game primarily for hog.
    Shucks...... my Thompson Contender single shot .44 might end up being the main General season choice.....
    Up north, former shotgun only areas began shift to rifles with ruling allowing “ straight wall” cartridges.... many handgun cartridges, big bore/lower velocity rifle loads supposedly less likely to fling lead as far as hyper velocity cartridges.
    A Florida WMA small game season hangun ramble for hogs is grand.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 651 Officer
    My Centerfire rifle is  a single shot. Can't shoot any faster than a muzzle loader 
    The jackassery here though really with the whole thing. I would have far more control over my shouldered ar then an ar pistol, which is not prohibited. So most likely just give it time and enjoy that kind of, somewhat, not really, loophole while it's still present. 
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 426 Deckhand
    Banned for posting on that thread where they guy was pushing painkillers telling him to F off. Real nice FL Sportman since I'm a paid member....
    a paid member?

My goodness, you are special!
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Paid annual subscription, not for the site. should have been more descriptive.

Any who, I agree with Wayvis's point of view but at the same time I understand how crowded we are here. 
    Pretty much a moot point now.
    edited February 2019 #53
    Urban/ Wildlands interface- residential etc developed areas adjoining natural lands, hunt lands is shall we say ‘developing’ landscape feature.
    I know of an area rancher that no longer quail hunts a section due to new homes and backyards adjacent to his land.
    Personally I avoid hunting areas where I can hear children playing in their yards. Hey, at least they are outside!
    One area I used to hunt, now adjacent to homes could have been spared from development had the State’s public lands purchase program not been basically halted for years.....
    FloridaOD said:
    Urban/ Wildlands interface- residential etc developed areas adjoining natural lands, hunt lands is shall we say ‘developing’ landscape feature.
    I know of an area rancher that no longer quail hunts a section due to new homes and backyards adjacent to his land.
    Personally I avoid hunting areas where I can hear children playing in their yards. Hey, at least they are outside!
    One area I used to hunt, now adjacent to homes could have been spared from development had the State’s public lands purchase program not been basically halted for years.....
    And i agree. Just wish the restriction took more into account. For example, places like Big Cypress have a fair amount of land and distance from residences but still have same restrictions.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I don't like hog as small game, just me but really screws up the true small game folks..

My question how do you make a Rim fire shell.  

Yes I prefer to hunt hog with my 06 not a shotgun. But prefer to hunt squirrels with only 22 not shoot guns it to easy. Bird shotgun. Now that being said I have drilled turkey with small caliber rifles thru the head when it use to be legal.  It was fun like a turkey shoot. You know they punish everyone for a few idiots.

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,925 Captain
    edited February 2019 #56
    The restriction has nothing to do with residences or business proximity. It's because they're are a lot of people doing different types of hunting with different styles. On any small game you have people just driving roads, hunting Wild hog, gray squirrel, quail, rabbit, raccoon, opossum, armadillo, beaver, coyote, skunk, nutria, bobcat, otter and migratory birds in season. Lots of different stuff going on. 

I had 22s buzzing through the palmettos towards us duck hunting before and a buddy of mine almost got shot by some AR toting guys that almost shot the hog in the bushes....which was my buddy. Either way, if you really want hog, get the hog quotas or deal with not using a center fire rifle bc over 75% of the people hunting small game by me are not hunting hogs and there are hogs in the area. They are truly hunting small game. But truth be told, the squirrel hunter with a 22 is what scares me the most bc it can be lethal. Just wish they wouldn't go into an area where they know other people are and start shooting everywhere. 
    almost had one of my bird dogs shot by some yahoo hog hunting..

it would have been a very bad day for all involved if he had pulled the trigger and the only reason he didn't is I saw him and yelled..
    so yeah, no centerfires please, all they do is give the idiots longer range.
    I agree with everyone here and figured the restrictions had more to do with the other hunters than proximity to other residences/businesses.

Quota hunts or private property is really the answer for me
    Center fire rifle restriction long established, intent was and is to reduce deer take.
    Is that like the more recent pellet size restrictions during turkey hunts?