Home Boating

Need some help with power pole....

ragincajun92ragincajun92 Kingsland GaPosts: 459 Deckhand
I have a 2018 keywest 1720 sportsman with the new design Yamaha f90lb. I am wanting to install a 8ft power pole pro series 2. I don’t want to drill holes in my brand new boat to mount to transom. So this leaves me with a bracket mount. The problem with that is I don’t have a jack plate to mount to the side. I have read that mercury will void warranty if a sandwich style bracket is used between motor and transom but not sure if Yamaha is same way. I have looked online but have found nothing. Just trying to figure what my options are.
My Fishing Videos and Reviews  https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger 
Thanks for watching,liking and subscribing!

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 587 Officer
    Consider the MinnKota Ultera elec.motor.Why?In
    addition to many features it has a anchor feature
    that holds the boat on the spot with GPS assistance.
    Three feet to a thousand makes no difference.Has a
    stow and deploy button that raises and lowers the
    motor w/o you lifting a finger.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,366 Captain
    edited January 2019 #3
    My pathfinder had a power pole installed on the transom at the factory. There will have to be a hole cut and a clam shell for the hose from the pump anyway. You will be happy with it
    You should have been here yesterday
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,025 Officer
    I've had a Powerpole installed on my Egret for years, but I'm not sure if I've used it once since I installed a Minn Kota iPilot on my boat's bow. As 10kman posted, the ability of trolling motors with spotlock-type features to hold one's boat in position is amazing. I fish some areas where anchoring isn't allowed, and the iPilot is worth its weight in gold in these situations. If I were fishing for bonefish or permit, or in extremely skinny water, I'd use the Powerpole. Otherwise, I'll turn to the iPilot every time. If my Powerpole were to fail, I'd consider replacing or repairing it. If my iPilot failed, I'd order another one tonight, despite my having two other spare trolling motors at home - it's that important. 
  • ragincajun92ragincajun92 Kingsland GaPosts: 459 Deckhand
    I have a 80lb ipilot as wellI will never have a boat without one. But I do fish freshwater sometimes as well for bed fishing and I think the power pole will come in handy. Not just that I think it would be perfect for the sandbar to help keep the boat anchored in the back and put a stake out pole in the front and be good to go. 
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,366 Captain
    I pilots are great, and I wouldn’t be without one, but in less than 3’ a tm is noisy and kicks up sand. You will want a power pole if your fishing shallow water or tarpon fishing. 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • ragincajun92ragincajun92 Kingsland GaPosts: 459 Deckhand
    I pilots are great, and I wouldn’t be without one, but in less than 3’ a tm is noisy and kicks up sand. You will want a power pole if your fishing shallow water or tarpon fishing. 
    This is a big reason I want it
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,210 Officer
    Add a 4" atlas jackplate. Its pre configured for a PP bracket. That is what i did except i went with the 6" plate. 
    Jason :USA
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 707 Officer
    edited January 2019 #9
    I would not worry about a properly transom mounted PowerPole. As others have suggested the bow motors with a spot lock feature are an alternative but not as stealthy as a PowerPole. However, the bow motors and single PowerPoles do not have the ability to keep you orientated in the water that dual PowerPoles can. I was unconvinced about buying PowerPoles (dual) until last year when I bought a new bass boat with two PowerPoles and a spot lock bow motor. I use them all, but the PowerPoles (again dual) are excellent for being stealthy, keeping you orientated how you want and moving and anchoring from spot-to-spot quickly and numerous times. I was a holdout on PowerPoles but no longer. Get two and you will not regret it. One and you will spin with winds and current.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,210 Officer
    finbully said:
    I would not worry about a properly transom mounted PowerPole. As others have suggested the bow motors with a spot lock feature are an alternative but not as stealthy as a PowerPole. However, the bow motors and single PowerPoles do not have the ability to keep you orientated in the water that dual PowerPoles can. I was unconvinced about buying PowerPoles (dual) until last year when I bought a new bass boat with two PowerPoles and a spot lock bow motor. I use them all, but the PowerPoles (again dual) are excellent for being stealthy, keeping you orientated how you want and moving and anchoring from spot-to-spot quickly and numerous times. I was a holdout on PowerPoles but no longer. Get two and you will not regret it. One and you will spin with winds and current.

If you cant afford duals a stick it anchor pin works fine to position boat!
    Jason :USA