Help matching thread color and guide for Sharpes bamboo fly rod

I'm looking for a place or person I can take my rod to to get a good color thread and a guide to replace one damaged in a downhill slide through rose bushes.  The rod is a 40 year old Sharpes.

Thanks, Dave

Replies

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,261 Officer
    Try rodbuilding.org.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,107 Captain
    That's a pretty good outfit (rodbuilding.org....) - hope you have some success.. In the past fifty years more than one really prominent rodcrafter's thread maker has disappeared - the most recent was Gudebrod (and me with forty years of building with their thread....).  Another one was Holland - and I still have three of their four ounce spools in my small inventory... (Holland was much more a commercial rodmaker's thread - don't believe it ever came in one ounce spools....).

To complicate that replacement process - many of the old split bamboo rodmakers wrapped their guides with silk thread (and I have no idea where you'll find silk rod wrapping thread these days...).

Dave, if you do find the thread you need please post it up here... I'm probably not the only one interested..
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,282 Captain

I have a massive stockpile of gudebrod silk, and 00 nylon, I probably have the color you're looking for, but you gave us absolutely nothing to indicate what that might be.
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,199 Captain
    Bob I got half a dozen boxes of 1oz. Holland spools and a number of their tweeds as well.   I only use it on signature rods, it was given to me by someone very special to me in the rod building world.  It wraps as good today as any thread that ever was or is today on the market.  
    Bob I got half a dozen boxes of 1oz. Holland spools and a number of their tweeds as well.   I only use it on signature rods, it was given to me by someone very special to me in the rod building world.  It wraps as good today as any thread that ever was or is today on the market.  

I've used Gudebrod, Rice & Holland thread exclusively since the Mid 80's, tried fuji thread per request this month, and it doesn't hold a candle to gudebrod. I've never broken a thread while closing a wrap before, I've broken 6-7 while packing this wrap. Bugs me enough to want to cut it off and start over.
    Very nice work... must admit that I quit doing any kind of fancy wraps many years ago....  All of my stuff is wrapped fairly simply -but I do have a bit of signature work still... Whenever I need to re-wrap a blank that has a bad finish, I work it down to the bare material (carefully hand scraping, no heat....) then water sand the blank down to 600 grit, then wrap the rod and apply flex-coat to just the wraps.  After two coats when it's properly cured the bare blank areas and everything else on the rod receives a coat or two of wax.  Wasn't sure whether it would work but it has - and long term....  Colored blanks become the basic gray and you can feel the action of each rod a bit better than the original (at least I think so...).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Thanks Bob. I just started packing today, so there's still a good chance it'll end up on my floor.

Done that once or twice myself... but it was long ago when I thought that every rod ought to have a fancy wrap or the customer wasn't getting their money's worth... That sort of stuff might also be why I long ago quit building rods for anyone but myself...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Done that once or twice myself... but it was long ago when I thought that every rod ought to have a fancy wrap or the customer wasn't getting their money's worth... That sort of stuff might also be why I long ago quit building rods for anyone but myself...
    Lol! I'd never do this for money. And the list of people I'm willing to build a rod for is incredibly short. I'm just having fun.
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 551 Officer

I've used Gudebrod, Rice & Holland thread exclusively since the Mid 80's, tried fuji thread per request this month, and it doesn't hold a candle to gudebrod. I've never broken a thread while closing a wrap before, I've broken 6-7 while packing this wrap. Bugs me enough to want to cut it off and start over.
    Funny you say that about fuji and gudebrod. Ive only built about 10 rods, and majority have been using my grandfathers stockpile of gudebrod, but I finally ran out of black and picked up some fuji thread and I prefer the fuji thread waaaay more than the gudebrod stuff. It just feels nicer, and has a little stretch to it. 

Nice wrap btw, I never seem to like the wraps I do so I just cut them off and do basic trim stuff. 
    I never like them until I'm done packing. I literally fight the urge to cut it off until moments before they get epoxy.
    And sometimes the urge wins.