Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Anybody local service old Abu Garcia Ambassadeur bait casting reels?

Is there anybody local in Dade-Broward area that can service old Abu Garcia Ambassadeur bait casting reels?
I received a box full of 1970's Ambassadeur 5500C, 6500C and 7000C bait casting reels from an old neighbor from North Miami.  Couple have some minor rust and scratches but most seems to be in very good condition but full of dust and old lubricant that feels like they solidified inside.  I think they just need some good cleaning and maybe some bearings needs to be replaced.  I was told they been sitting in the box for past 25+ years.   

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,348 Officer
    edited January 2019 #2
    You would probably be better off shipping a couple at a time to Dave's Fishing Reel Repair Service in Holiday, FL (Below)
     If any of them are in mint or near mint condition and made in Sweden, then those are the ones i would have serviced before selling. If you don't want to collect them or use them, i would put the ones that are in rougher shape up on eBay in their present condition. i have about a dozen of them and use them.
    I reconditioned all of mine but do not do work on them for others. 

https://www.rodandreelpartsonline.com/
    Giimoozaabi
  • kci-miakci-mia Posts: 265 Deckhand
    I finally checked and cleaned some of them this weekend.  There were 14 in all (5 of 5500C, 5 of 6500C and 4 of 7000C) and while 4 were definitely used with some scratches and stiff gears 6 looked almost new with no scratch...just a lot of dust and grime.  One 6500C and one 7000C I cleaned up looked pristine and even gear were butter smooth.  I'm not looking to sell any of them as I'll use them along with my brother and cousin...we've been using these same reels for 40+ years.  

I'll take ones that need internal cleaning and possibly repairs to Dave Part and Service next month when I drive up to Tampa. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,783 Admiral
    If you are in Miami, I would call  these guys and ask them. They are listed as a repair shop for ABU.

http://www.fishingreelservices.com/index.html

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,251 Admiral
    Wow, you were given a gold mine. The older abu's are rock solid. I always wanted to get a 7000, but just kept making excuses as to why i don't need one. I just wish I had gotten one a long time ago.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• pk911pk911 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Spineyman said:
    Wow, you were given a gold mine. The older abu's are rock solid. I always wanted to get a 7000, but just kept making excuses as to why i don't need one. I just wish I had gotten one a long time ago.
    i still have my 7000 just don't use it anymore. I kind of retired it after catching a 80 lb wahoo with it while jigging for Kings in PB a bunch of years ago in 225 ' of water. rod and reel are sitting in the rack since then. 

• miamidavemiamidave Posts: 61 Deckhand
    edited February 2019 #7
    Frank in homestead. 786-227-3692. Used to own a repair business,  now he is semi retired, does rod/reel repair out of his home. Give him a call he might be able to help. Has done good work for me at an excellent price. Please tell him Dave gave you his number.