Home General Hunting

Is Shed hunting in Florida worth the effort?

ShadowjagShadowjag NE FloridaPosts: 16 Deckhand
Just curious. I have never tried to find sheds but after constantly reading about it I think I might have a look.

Replies

• bswivbswiv Posts: 7,632 Admiral
    Take note of areas the state is burning this spring to which you have access. With the thick undergrowth we have searching a burn is the way to go. We picked up a head on one of our burns on Monday.

It's also interesting to go into a burn area just to see how fast things come back. Also worth finding out the actual date of the burn so you can get a feel for the animal usage you see. It'll help inform your hunting later.............
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,317 Admiral
    Burns are Nature unmasked..
    Their a pretty neat place to walk around.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,020 Captain
    Without a dog trained to find sheds or a burn like bswiv mentions, it is very hard due to the thickness of the underbrush in FL.  In 25+ years of hunting in FL, I've only found two antlers.  
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,539 Admiral
    Without a dog trained to find sheds or a burn like bswiv mentions, it is very hard due to the thickness of the underbrush in FL.  In 25+ years of hunting in FL, I've only found two antlers.  
    Yep, same. 2
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,847 AG
    Fence crossings and food plots are good places to look too.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • waterdipperwaterdipper Posts: 80 Deckhand
    I find old sheds just about every year when scouting or even when hunting in the fall. Most of them are chewed up by rats and squirrels pretty good and most of the time I just leave them. This is the best one I found on a north central FL WMA, out in the open on a trail.
  • GreenwingGreenwing Posts: 108 Deckhand
    I've only found a few on scouting trips over the years.  I did find a massive 6 on one side in Grove Park.
  • awayaway Posts: 337 Deckhand
    Is shed hunting in Florida worth the effort?

No.
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    If increases your time in the woods looking and learning, yes.  If you want enough to make something out of, no.  There was a time I spent a bunch of time in the woods scouting.  Then I found a decent amount, many chewed on as others noted.  Also find them in turkey season.  
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.