Horseshoe Crabs

It's good to see that horseshoe crabs have come back to Charlotte Harbor! Their population had greatly diminished over the last five years. I wonder where they've been? 
A SeaStrike 180 with 115 Yam , A Calm Wife and a Spunky Cairn Terrier. IT'S ALL GOOD!

Replies

• MikelleenMikelleen Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    Theory only: red tide fish kills leading to large amounts of scavenger food in the water?
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 628 Officer
    Mikelleen said:
    Theory only: red tide fish kills leading to large amounts of scavenger food in the water?
    Red tide toxins are still present in the dead organisms, so maybe not. But it could be possible once the dead organisms decompose enough
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    From my understanding of Karenia brevis (primary red tide organism), it does not affect crabs. This information was from a Biologist at FGCU who specialized in crabs. Someone correct me if that is wrong. Otherwise, not sure where the crabs couldve gone. Glad their numbers are returning. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised
  • chicochico Punta Gorda and PennsylvaniaPosts: 537 Officer
    There is some serious concern about their demise in the Mid Atlantic region too. they used to be VERY numerous, now almost rare. I know they were harvested and used for medical purposes.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,424 Officer
    CapnAhab said:
    Otherwise, not sure where the crabs couldve gone.
    Big money medical industry been using 100's of thousands of them annually since the 70's.

Maybe good news is supposedly a couple years ago someone has come out with a synthetic made alternative. Don't know if it will be cost effective enough for "big med" to accept.

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.