Home Off Topic

Can I be sickened and outraged at the same time?

Replies

• Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,301 Captain
    Mister-Jr said:
    Do you believe white make up 60% of the US population?
      Yes, yes they do, Virgina. Just not in that dump you live in.

bigfinn35 said:
    Is bigfinn35 Pete/Cyclist? Can we get an IP check up in here?
    Been on here since 2012, I'm not whoever that is. Multiple people can have the same opinion, man.
    The same stupid opinions throw up red flags.
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 663 Officer
    Sure thing, pal. We'll talk when you bring some reasonable discussion to the table. 
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,752 AG
    How fun.
     The same tired arguments with the same tiring calls to control the rights of law abiding Americans. 
     Ho hum.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,854 AG
    Mister-Jr said: we
    mplspug said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    mplspug said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    Actually, white men with guns.  You know, mass murders.
    Stats Don't Lie!

Oh wait, they kind of fall right in line with race by % of population.  Carry on. 
    Do you believe white make up 60% of the US population?
    No, whites are closer to 70% of the population which would mean 70% of mass shootings should be by whites.  The stats posted have it closer to 55%.  

Not sure why you replied, you shot yourself in the foot, so to speak. "Actually, white men with guns.  You know, mass murders."
    White men commit 60% of the mass murders, what percent of the US are white males?
    Valiant try, but you know you didn't ask about males which is irrelevant since we know females rarely commit mass shootings.

Captain Todd Approves

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,757 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    US manufacturers couldn't sell their crappy cars, but Telsa is selling the heck out of their Model 3. I could show you all the new electric cars that will be available in the next couple of years, but what would be the point?  
    Tesla is not doing well, Mr.
    I only offer only my opinion. I am currently seating on the couch with my girlfriend and our cat watching OVC, take it for what it is.
    Vote for the other candidate
    Put the phone down and spend time with your girlfriend.

Or do what I do and send her to bed early to warm up my side of the bed.

Captain Todd Approves

Speaking about my wife , of course.

Captain Todd Approves

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,271 AG
    edited January 2019 #99
    bigfinn35 said:
    GA Fin said:
    bigfinn35 said:
    JWT said:
    a drunk driver caused an accident & killed someone. so we should regulate the rights of sober drivers to own/drive a vehicle to solve the problem................

this is how proposed gun control works............ 

make sense?

Except we already have more stringent examination and licensing procedures to buy and use cars than we do guns. This comparison doesn't make sense since we've already taken lots of measures to avoid car accidents, whereas the response to more sensible gun legislation seems to be "well it wouldn't work so why bother trying anything"

Gun ownership is a right. Driving is not.

How about we start making folks take a test and pass a background check before they can vote. Maybe even a mental health evaluation.

Sounds like a fair trade. You are vetted the same to purchase and own a gun as you are to vote or get welfare/EBT.

Sure, let's judge everything by the document written better than 200 years ago by fallible men who couldn't have possibly foreseen the advances of today. The concept of a semi-auto 9mm with a 15 round magazine was likely all but inconceivable in 1787.

There's nothing in the Constitution about public roads or schooling either. Shall we take away those since they aren't a right in there?

On your point about EBT/welfare: food and shelter are needs. Guns are absolutely not.

I've got no problem with responsible gun owners. All I'm saying is that said responsibility should be readily apparent before anyone can get a man-portable, concealable, ranged, lethal weapon.
    Until it is replaced by something better, the only thing we have to judge these issues is the document "written better than 200 years ago by fallible men who couldn't have possibly foreseen the advances of today." There are even methods in that document to revise it as things advance as they have since it was written. 

Actually, postal roads are covered in the constitution and regulating commerce among the states is covered. There is also the need to provide for common defense and general welfare of these united states. These are the sections that allowed federal highway construction,. 

Besides only about 4% of all the roads in this country are under federal control. Most are state and local government, which brings me to education. 

Education is handled at the local and state level. The federal government does not have a right to regulate education under the constitution except to insure all Americans have the right to same level of education as all others in the state. Basically insure no discrimination occurs in education. 

While food and shelter are a need, there is no requirement in the constitution for the government to provide this. In reality, this would be an impossibility for any government to guarantee as a right. The constitution guarantees you equal access to the means to obtain food and shelter, but that it all. 

Guns are specifically mentioned as a right and was considered a right even before the creation of the constitution. The right to own guns to defend yourself is a natural right in any free society. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,301 Captain
    Mister-Jr said:
    I only offer only my opinion. I am currently seating on the couch with my girlfriend and our cat watching OVC, take it for what it is.
    Is that your fiance of 20 years? The one you won't marry because it will increase your tax burden?

"If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,271 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    Is that your fiance of 20 years? The one you won't marry because it will increase your tax burden?

I thought it was the other way around.  :)

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    Wait...Mister has a FEMALE significant other?
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

There should be a minimum net worth set before you have voting rights. You should have skin in the game.

Those with voting rights should then be part of the discussion.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
    GA Fin said:
    At least try and act like you don't hate gay people.

@cadman, we can judge these issues by how they're treated by other developed nations. Not to mention that the 2nd amendment can be pretty easily interpreted to mean that only the right for an armed militia is guaranteed, not the right for the general citizenry to buy guns. 

There is indeed text about how to rewrite the constitution, but it has never been exercised in the way that it details. Seems to be regarded as a formality at this point.
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    Its funny to read the comments making our forefathers sound like idiots. You guys make them sound like they had no idea what the future or progression was  :D Oh they didnt think guns that would go bang bang would exist they only thought about guns that went bang LMAO Yeah go ahead write to me with a feather pen on parchment paper and walk it over to me. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    bigfinn35 said:
    GA Fin said:

@cadman, we can judge these issues by how they're treated by other developed nations. Not to mention that the 2nd amendment can be pretty easily interpreted to mean that only the right for an armed militia is guaranteed, not the right for the general citizenry to buy guns. 

There is indeed text about how to rewrite the constitution, but it has never been exercised in the way that it details. Seems to be regarded as a formality at this point.
    Why do you care what “other” countries think about our Constitution other than the fact they are envious of it?
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    All im saying is I am not giving up my rights. I would rather die than give an inch. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    Its funny to read the comments making our forefathers sound like idiots. You guys make them sound like they had no idea what the future or progression was  :D Oh they didnt think guns that would go bang bang would exist they only thought about guns that went bang LMAO Yeah go ahead write to me with a feather pen on parchment paper and walk it over to me. 
    Never said they were idiots. Not being able to see 200 years in the future makes someone a person, not an idiot. Surely they had a great deal of foresight, but do you honestly think they wrote the 2nd amendment with today's firearms in mind?

No one's saying you should give up your rights. Greater precautions to purchasing guns doesn't equal nixing the right to buy guns.
    edited January 2019 #109
    @johnpowers: First off, that's a big assumption to make lol.

Second, I never talked about other countries judging our constitution. I was saying that we can judge our own actions by the success or failure of similarly developed and modernized countries.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #110
    All im saying is I am not giving up my rights. I would rather die than give an inch. 
    No one is threatening to take your rights. We are all aware about your stance on your rights and your guns. But when people admit to considering taking an illegal deer out of season with an unethical kill. Some wonder if you deserve the rights you were given. And if you are considering a career in the fwc, posts like this on social media may make the other candidate more desirable 
    You should have been here yesterday
    bigfinn35 said:
    Never said they were idiots. Not being able to see 200 years in the future makes someone a person, not an idiot. Surely they had a great deal of foresight, but do you honestly think they wrote the 2nd amendment with today's firearms in mind?

No one's saying you should give up your rights. Greater precautions to purchasing guns doesn't equal nixing the right to buy guns.
    FYI, the 2nd amendment has absolutely nothing to do with the type of firearms/advancement  or the ability to hunt. 
    edited January 2019 #112
    bigfinn35 said:
    GA Fin said:

Are you being obtuse? I have no sacred cows. I will joke about anything. I am not PC.

As far as my feelings on "gay people", I am a live an let live person. You have one trip on this earth, do what makes you happy.

bigfinn35, I support your lifestyle choice and I believe you were born that way. Fly your flag brother! 

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,446 AG
    GA Fin said:

There should be a minimum net worth set before you have voting rights. You should have skin in the game.

Those with voting rights should then be part of the discussion.

Stupid idea.  If you are subject to the laws of the land you have skin in the game.

I can see making the argument that "if you pay net taxes" then you can vote.  That would be somewhat thought out, but also wrong and immoral.

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,558 Moderator
    bigfinn35 said:

You will never convince very many on here of that.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,439 Officer
    bigfinn35 said:

You will never convince anyone on here of that.
    FIFY
    Jason :USA
    edited January 2019 #116
    Surprisingly (or not)  

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

California and New York, bastions of liberalism, do very well.  Likely because of stricter gun laws. 

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,752 AG
    Efforts to convert our justice system from reactive to proactive diminishes everyone’s rights.
        I believe most Americans want to be innocent until proven guilty and enjoy the freedoms that affords them.
    dave44 said:
    Efforts to convert our justice system from reactive to proactive diminishes everyone’s rights.
        I believe most Americans want to be innocent until proven guilty and enjoy the freedoms that affords them.
    Do you consider speed limits proactive?  Seat belt laws? 
    Do you consider laws against mounting a cannon on your truck proactive?  A flame thrower?

Captain Todd Approves

Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    Do you consider speed limits proactive?  Seat belt laws? 
    How often do you break the speed limit?
    mplspug said:
    Do you consider laws against mounting a cannon on your truck proactive?  A flame thrower?
    Is there a law preventing that?