Home Off Topic

Can I be sickened and outraged at the same time?

Replies

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #62
    Mister-Jr said:
    kellercl said:
    Things always change?  Sure.  Over the course of decades if we are lucky.  But again aren't you the one who thinks electric cars are taking over??? Despite US manufacturers dropping cars in favor of trucks.... and Tesla just dropped their two cheapest models.

US manufacturers couldn't sell their crappy cars, but Telsa is selling the heck out of their Model 3. I could show you all the new electric cars that will be available in the next couple of years, but what would be the point?  

Just because you are right about one thing don't get all cocky. Apparently our boy kellercl doesn't read the auto websites/news.
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    GA Fin said:
    Im not quite sure what measures of gun control you guys think would have fixed this? Please enlighten me.

They want total gun confiscation and they want conservative white males neutered, their property confiscated and possibly executed. I am not joking.
    I feel like thats a bit extreme in terms of phrasing.
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #64
    Mister-Jr said:
    kellercl said:
    Things always change?  Sure.  Over the course of decades if we are lucky.  But again aren't you the one who thinks electric cars are taking over??? Despite US manufacturers dropping cars in favor of trucks.... and Tesla just dropped their two cheapest models.

US manufacturers couldn't sell their crappy cars, but Telsa is selling the heck out of their Model 3. I could show you all the new electric cars that will be available in the next couple of years, but what would be the point?  
    None because you can't grasp the meaning of "niche."  And didn't Chevolet just drop their Volt electric car.  Tesla sells cars that cost 90k+ and has zero impact in regards to the mainstream buyer.

Plug in cars in 2017 accounted for 1.13% of sales. ..  better watch out oil companies, the end is nigh!!!!  Lol

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,870 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    mplspug said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    Actually, white men with guns.  You know, mass murders.
    Stats Don't Lie!

Oh wait, they kind of fall right in line with race by % of population.  Carry on. 
    Do you believe white make up 60% of the US population?
    No, whites are closer to 70% of the population which would mean 70% of mass shootings should be by whites.  The stats posted have it closer to 55%.  

Not sure why you replied, you shot yourself in the foot, so to speak. "Actually, white men with guns.  You know, mass murders."

Captain Todd Approves

• FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    Man, white man with guns...I didnt know my dad or grandfather or my best friend and his dad were all serial killers...
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #67
    For comparison purposes trucks in 2016 was 15.3% and in 2017 hit 16.4%...  A 1.1% increase which is the size of the entire plug in market.....  full sized pickup trucks grew 5.6% in a single year.  Clearly Americans are moving towards plug in cars!

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    We need to start culling white males at birth, which is now legal in New York BTW.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    mplspug said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    mplspug said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    Stats Don't Lie!

Oh wait, they kind of fall right in line with race by % of population.  Carry on. 
    No, whites are closer to 70% of the population which would mean 70% of mass shootings should be by whites.  The stats posted have it closer to 55%.  

Not sure why you replied, you shot yourself in the foot, so to speak. "Actually, white men with guns.  You know, mass murders."
    White men commit 60% of the mass murders, what percent of the US are white males?
    Vote for the other candidate
  • JWTJWT Posts: 735 Officer
    a drunk driver caused an accident & killed someone. so we should regulate the rights of sober drivers to own/drive a vehicle to solve the problem................

this is how proposed gun control works............ 

make sense?

• bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 663 Officer
    GA Fin said:
    We need to start culling white males at birth, which is now legal in New York BTW.
    Holy **** stop spreading this nonsense. Late term abortions are now legal IF THE BABY WOULD DIE OR IF THE BIRTH ENDANGERS THE MOTHER'S LIFE. It's not some blanket thing.

Besides, 90% of abortions happen in the first trimester when the "baby" is nothing more than a vague cluster of cells. NO ONE goes in for a late term abortion because they just decided after 6+ months of pregnancy that they don't want to be a parent.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
    JWT said:
    a drunk driver caused an accident & killed someone. so we should regulate the rights of sober drivers to own/drive a vehicle to solve the problem................

make sense?

Except we already have more stringent examination and licensing procedures to buy and use cars than we do guns. This comparison doesn't make sense since we've already taken lots of measures to avoid car accidents, whereas the response to more sensible gun legislation seems to be "well it wouldn't work so why bother trying anything"
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,496 Admiral
    Mister-Jr said:
    Does the Constitution afford any rights to the five people that were murdered? 

Yes it does, to the best of my knowledge, however, I don't see that it matters now.

I'm thinking you perceived that as a rhetorical question, but it just came off as stupid.
    So there you go....:)
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,496 Admiral
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    NPR makes everything they report on too political. I’ll have to see if there’s a news source that uses less outraged indignation in current events. 
    I'm not sure how you post anything that would less intelligent.  The fact is, five people were killed going about their daily lives and you question the source?
    Were you outraged at the loss of innocent victims? Or was it the weapon. Your track record, and that of NPR seems to cherrypick when outrage needs to be applied in any particular situation.
    All you had to do was wait.....
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,764 AG
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    NPR makes everything they report on too political. I’ll have to see if there’s a news source that uses less outraged indignation in current events. 
    I'm not sure how you post anything that would less intelligent.  The fact is, five people were killed going about their daily lives and you question the source?
    Were you outraged at the loss of innocent victims? Or was it the weapon. Your track record, and that of NPR seems to cherrypick when outrage needs to be applied in any particular situation.
    All you had to do was wait.....
    But it’s the same thing every time, it’s so boring waiting for it when you know it’s coming sooner or later. Just get straight to the point, I say! Does it make me look bad for a page or 2 till he actually says it? 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,325 AG
    edited January 2019 #76
    Once again, it appears gun laws are not the issue. Mental health laws are the problem. A person close to the killer knew and told others of his mental instability. He was removed from school due to mental instability and he was still allowed to buy guns and there was no method to evaluate his mental stability, 

There needs to be a system where multiple signs of a mental illness are present that a mental exam is required to determine if the person needs help and a system to get them help. 

I don't know the answer to this, but everyone of these are always a mentally ill person that others knew about but nothing was done to help them. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

cadman said:
    Once again, it appears gun laws are not the issue. Mental health laws are the problem. A person close to the killer knew and told others of his mental instability. He was removed from school due to mental instability and he was still allowed to buy guns and there was no method to evaluate his mental stability, 

There needs to be a system where multiple signs of a mental illness are present that a mental exam is required to determine if the person needs help and a system to get them help. 

I don't know the answer to this, but everyone of these are always a mentally ill person that others knew about but nothing was done to help them. 
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. A mental health checkup for first-time gun buyers would be a good step.
  • JWTJWT Posts: 735 Officer
    bigfinn35 said:
    JWT said:

make sense?

Except we already have more stringent examination and licensing procedures to buy and use cars than we do guns. This comparison doesn't make sense since we've already taken lots of measures to avoid car accidents, whereas the response to more sensible gun legislation seems to be "well it wouldn't work so why bother trying anything"
    i think you make my point........even after all of the driving exams & licensing procedures, laws........it still happens regularly.  

bigfinn35 said:
    JWT said:

make sense?

Gun ownership is a right. Driving is not.

How about we start making folks take a test and pass a background check before they can vote. Maybe even a mental health evaluation.

Sounds like a fair trade. You are vetted the same to purchase and own a gun as you are to vote or get welfare/EBT.

bigfinn35 said:
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. A mental health checkup for first-time gun buyers would be a good step.
    First time voters too.

GA Fin said:
    bigfinn35 said:
    JWT said:

make sense?

How about we start making folks take a test and pass a background check before they can vote. Maybe even a mental health evaluation.

Sounds like a fair trade. You are vetted the same to purchase and own a gun as you are to vote or get welfare/EBT.

That's funny GAF, cars were not around when they wrote the Constitution.  About a million other things have changed since then.
    GA Fin said:
    bigfinn35 said:
    JWT said:

make sense?

Sure, let's judge everything by the document written better than 200 years ago by fallible men who couldn't have possibly foreseen the advances of today. The concept of a semi-auto 9mm with a 15 round magazine was likely all but inconceivable in 1787.

There's nothing in the Constitution about public roads or schooling either. Shall we take away those since they aren't a right in there?

On your point about EBT/welfare: food and shelter are needs. Guns are absolutely not.

I've got no problem with responsible gun owners. All I'm saying is that said responsibility should be readily apparent before anyone can get a man-portable, concealable, ranged, lethal weapon.
    Reasonable thoughts, bigfinn35.
    JWT said:
    bigfinn35 said:
    JWT said:

make sense?

i think you make my point........even after all of the driving exams & licensing procedures, laws........it still happens regularly.  

Right, because there's never going to be a perfect solution. But due to more strict regulations and ABV limits, car accidents decreased steadily from 1949 to 2011 (then came back up due to the advent of texting while driving, which is a separate issue).

My point is that we've at least made an effort to improve car safety and had notable success. Nowhere close to the same effort has been made with gun violence and safety. The logic of "well we can never fully stop it, so let's not try to lessen the impact" makes zero sense to me. If we applied that to cars then seat belts, airbags, and driver's license exams wouldn't exist.
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,301 Captain
    edited January 2019 #85
    Mister-Jr said:
      Yes, yes they do, Virgina. Just not in that place you live.
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Mister-Jr said:
    mplspug said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    mplspug said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    Stats Don't Lie!

White men commit 60% of the mass murders, what percent of the US are white males?
    The evening of October 10 2018 proved that the banning of firearms will never happen. (At least without a bloody fight).
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,301 Captain
    Mister-Jr said:
    Tesla is not doing well, Mr.
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Mister-Jr said:
    Tesla is not doing well, Mr.
    Mr. Musk had better thank his lucky stars that the American taxpayers are so gullible. 

Is bigfinn35 Pete/Cyclist? Can we get an IP check up in here?

GA Fin said:

GA Fin said:
    Is bigfinn35 Pete/Cyclist? Can we get an IP check up in here?
    Why copy/paste the exact same comment I already addressed? Voting, EBT/welfare, and gun ownership aren't comparable. 

Been on here since 2012, I'm not whoever that is. Multiple people can have the same opinion, man.