Home Off Topic

Can I be sickened and outraged at the same time?

Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG

At Least 5 Dead in Shooting At Central Florida Bank

At least five people were killed when a man opened fire Wednesday afternoon in a bank in Sebring, Fla., according to officials.

At a brief news conference, Sebring Police Chief Karl Hoglund named 21-year-old Zephen Xaver, of Sebring, as the suspect. Xaver is in police custody.

Vote for the other candidate

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,078 Admiral
    Yes you can be sickened and outraged at the same time. I, and am sure lots of others are also. I don't know if genetics, upbringing or society is the cause but it sure is chitty.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,374 Admiral
    We have a couple dozen banks as customers. You are not getting the money. The only ones in harm's way is office staff.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,549 AG
    NPR makes everything they report on too political. I’ll have to see if there’s a news source that uses less outraged indignation in current events. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,019 Admiral
    Bet that 9 in my pocket would have made Momma's Snowflake cry on the floor...
    I Refuse to go down pleading and crying in the corner.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    dave44 said:
    NPR makes everything they report on too political. I’ll have to see if there’s a news source that uses less outraged indignation in current events. 

While I concur with your assessment of NPR, the article in MJ's like was surprisingly apolitical.

Rest in peace to the deceased and may the murderous criminal ride the needle.

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    dave44 said:
    I'm not sure how you post anything that would less intelligent.  The fact is, five people were killed going about their daily lives and you question the source?
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,396 Admiral
    *grabs popcorn*

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,427 Admiral
    dave44 said:
    I read the article, I didn't read anything like outrage or indignation. There were no politics either. What did you read?

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    I'm not sure how you post anything that would less intelligent.  The fact is, five people were killed going about their daily lives and you question the source?
    Were you outraged at the loss of innocent victims? Or was it the weapon. Your track record, and that of NPR seems to cherrypick when outrage needs to be applied in any particular situation.
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    Were you outraged at the loss of innocent victims? Or was it the weapon. Your track record, and that of NPR seems to cherrypick when outrage needs to be applied in any particular situation.
    Five innocent people are dead.  Their families, friends, neighbors, and anyone with a sense of right and wrong is outraged.  Stop with the stupid comments.
    GA Fin said:
    dave44 said:

While I concur with your assessment of NPR, the article in MJ's like was surprisingly apolitical.

Rest in peace to the deceased and may the murderous criminal ride the needle.

The needle is much too tame. Hanging in the courtyard may need to make a comeback for some of these idiots.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,595 AG
    Yet people still keep giving their kids weirdo names.

Captain Todd Approves

• Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    edited January 2019 #15
    Bet that 9 in my pocket would have made Momma's Snowflake cry on the floor...
    I Refuse to go down pleading and crying in the corner.
    Not if you were the first one he shot.....losing!
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,538 Captain
    Another reason to carry everywhere it`s legal everyday. A chance is better than NO chance........
    It's loosening, not loosing. 

Captain Todd Approves

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    Losing perhaps?
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
    :error:

Captain Todd Approves

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,427 Admiral

A woman identifying herself as the ex-girlfriend of the suspect in a mass shooting inside a Florida bank says he often thought about hurting people and has long been fascinated with death and guns.
    WSBT in South Bend, Indiana, reported that Alex Gerlach said she tried to warn people about Zephen Xaver's potential for harm. Xaver was arrested by a SWAT team inside a SunTrust Bank branch in Sebring, Florida, on Wednesday after he called 911 to say he opened fire. Five people were killed.
    Gerlach told the station in a phone interview that for some reason, Xaver "always hated people and wanted everybody to die."
    She said, "He got kicked out of school for having a dream that he killed everybody in his class, and he's been threatening this for so long."
    Gerlach said, "Every single person I've told has not taken it seriously, and it's very unfortunate that it had to come to this."
    The Washington Post also interviewed Gerlach, reporting among other things that Xaver told her last week that he had purchased a gun. She told the Post that "no one thought anything of it" because he had always liked guns.
    Apparently there were some indicators, but this guy was largely under the radar. He did not much a of a social media presence, and had no criminal record. 
    He recently bought his first gun, but it seems unlikely that even the most intensive background check would allow law enforcement to deny him his 2nd amendment rights.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/ex-girlfriend-of-florida-bank-shooting-suspect-he-wanted-everybody-to-die
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    Does the Constitution afford any rights to the five people that were murdered? 

A woman identifying herself as the ex-girlfriend of the suspect in a mass shooting inside a Florida bank says he often thought about hurting people and has long been fascinated with death and guns.
    WSBT in South Bend, Indiana, reported that Alex Gerlach said she tried to warn people about Zephen Xaver's potential for harm. Xaver was arrested by a SWAT team inside a SunTrust Bank branch in Sebring, Florida, on Wednesday after he called 911 to say he opened fire. Five people were killed.
    Gerlach told the station in a phone interview that for some reason, Xaver "always hated people and wanted everybody to die."
    She said, "He got kicked out of school for having a dream that he killed everybody in his class, and he's been threatening this for so long."
    Gerlach said, "Every single person I've told has not taken it seriously, and it's very unfortunate that it had to come to this."
    The Washington Post also interviewed Gerlach, reporting among other things that Xaver told her last week that he had purchased a gun. She told the Post that "no one thought anything of it" because he had always liked guns.
    Apparently there were some indicators, but this guy was largely under the radar. He did not much a of a social media presence, and had no criminal record. 
    He recently bought his first gun, but it seems unlikely that even the most intensive background check would allow law enforcement to deny him his 2nd amendment rights.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/ex-girlfriend-of-florida-bank-shooting-suspect-he-wanted-everybody-to-die
    I agree. He looks like so many kids you see walking around in a daze, like living is very awkward for them.
       I have a neighbor whose 2 grandkids have that look, not that they are out much, they are usually in front of a tv. 
      But I guess profiling is still frowned upon, so I think I’ll just pay close attention to them whenever they leave the house. Luckily it’s only if we lose power.
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Father said he was a good kid, but had some "troubles". I wonder what kind of "troubles"??
    Probably a kid pumped up with Ridilin or some other psychotropic drugs.
    Mister-Jr said:
    The right to be exploited by you, General Non Sequitur?

Captain Todd Approves

kellercl said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    Yes, they had the right to carry.
    If you are suggesting every person in America should carry a gun to protect themselves, would that apply to 80 and 90-year-olds?  How about 16 to 18?  How about the millions of Americans that don't believe in carrying guns?  Your one trick pony idea is not really feasible, is it? 
    Mister-Jr said:
    Yes. 
       This ignorant question was so unnecessary. 
       Or maybe you propose that every single citizen should be afforded an armed guard to protect them against any potential assault? 
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    Yes. 
       Or maybe you propose that every single citizen should be afforded an armed guard to protect them against any potential assault? 
    Actually, my only thought is that we should make it harder for people to own guns.  
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    mplspug said:
    It's loosening, not loosing. 
    Thanks
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    Yes. 
    Actually, my only thought is that we should make it harder for people to own guns.  
    I know. We all knew that’s where you were going when we read the title.
      But it’s a seriously flawed argument considering the myriad of ways people are murdered. I thought you would agree that only way to protect everyone is with an armed guard for every person. At least it would show you didn’t stop thinking when you arrived at your first bus stop.