Home General Hunting

Where have the wild gone?

jimglassjimglass Posts: 130 Deckhand

Does anyone know where the Florida Gulf coast wild hogs gone.    I hog hunt in the Crystal River area that has always had wild hogs.  Been in here since early November and not a single hog picture on my trail cameras.   Homosassa WMA has a few hogs.

Spoke to a local guy, he says the hogs left after the last hurricane!!

Opinions?  Jim

Replies

• waterdipperwaterdipper Posts: 80 Deckhand
    They must have come to Levy county as they are all over here.
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,020 Captain
    Same in Madison county.  We've had more hog problems this last year than in a decade.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,928 AG
    ride down Ozello trail and look at the rooting, I see them most every am, got them thick on some property up by the plant and on lease in Gulf Hammock.

You can gladly have them all back.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • jimglassjimglass Posts: 130 Deckhand
    I saw the rooting on Ozello trail last week.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,288 Admiral
    Food , It's just Food..Them hogs been here since 1583 , Their still there tonight..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,590 Captain
    edited January 2019 #7
    After all, dem Hawg can be Nomatic
    At this point, Florida Landscape better off hit with high hog population rather than “ development”.  
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,044 Captain
    Side note:   Many years ago I hunted a private club called Southwood. It was at the end of Power Line Road. The hog, deer and turkey hunting was fantastic. 

harbison:   I enjoyed reading your post on your wild hog adventures.   I'm just trying to figure out why the area I hunt seems void of wild hogs or almost void.   Could be to much water or to much water at one time and / or no food.

Drove through the Goethe State Forest just now, Levy county.   No doubt hogs are in there.    Lots of rooting along the highway and found one road kill hog a mile or two outside of Goethe.    I'm not sure how to hunt WMA areas.   Can't use bait or hunt at night.   I guess I need to sit in a tree stand and hope one comes along.

I have a friend here from Canada and wanted to take him wild hog hunting.   We may end up going to an outfitter and just pay the price for shooting a hog.

• meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 440 Deckhand
    my guess          trapping.     i would add cougars to the trapping but not sure any cats in that area so just trapping.     
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,044 Captain
    edited January 2019 #11
    The area I hunted years ago  was very close to the power plant. Southwood covered 6,000 acres. Can't help but wonder what the area is like now. Any information would be greatly appreciated.  

Madison County was mentioned. Buck & Boar Hunting Club is located in Madison County. Loaded with hogs... Sights like this are very common:

On private land we can use feeders to legally hunt 24/7 twelve months a year. 
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    Our lease was polluted with hogs, like usual, last summer. I shot a few in the off season. Right before bow season they were like rats gone wild. Then like a flip of a switch they disappeared. The droves and herds of them werent' showing up on camera. They weren't hitting feeders. Only was getting solitary boars at night on camera. I am sure the bumper acorn crop had a lot to do with it as well. I only killed 1 the entire season, and only saw a couple more from the stand. The one I killed was slipping from dogs. They still are not back on corn and camera, but they will be. 
    The lack of hogs did improve the deer movement for sure. I killed 5 bucks

Thanks AllenR;    What you describe is exactly what I'm experiencing.  Tons of deer on my lease.   I dump corn for hog bait and the deer are one the bait and on camera in 2 minutes.

Conducted an experiment last night.   Dumped small piles of corn on the shoulder of a road

adjacent to a WMA known to hold wild hogs.    Sat in  my car sounded off my game caller and watched through my thermo imagining scope.    I did see a hog crossing the road 300 or 400 yards away.   I don't think the bait or the electronic caller had anything to do with the hog crossing the road it was just his/her routine for the night..   Saw 2 other critters of unknown species through my scope.

Returned to the same place this morning before sunrise, panned the area with my scope, saw nothing.    BUT my bait piles where still there, untouched.    My conclusion is, the hogs are there, they have no interest in eating corn.

When the WMA was open to hunting I found major hog rooting under some oak trees.   I set up a camera  and over 3-4 days saw 13 hogs.   

What can I do?     Find acorns and use them for bait??     Hunt the WMA when the season reopens?    How long can the hogs feed on the acorns?

Thanks everyone, Jim

• HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 332 Deckhand
    Soak corn in beer and bury it instead of piling.
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,296 Officer
    I wonder if the corn is being treated with something and the hogs are leery 
    Soak corn in beer and bury it instead of piling.

I'm trying that, brewing up soured corn continuously.    Raccoons also love soured corn.   They will dig it up, eat every kernel of corn and return the next night to see if there is more.

Reading what hog like to eat.    Acorns are number one and the hogs will run the deer off trying to dine on the acorns.   This could explain why the deer are on my bait pile in 2 minutes.

https://articles.extension.org/pages/63655/food-habits-of-feral-hogs

I'm going broke feeding the deer.   I think I have dumped 300 to 400 lb of corn in the passed 3 months

Know doubt burying hog bait is a good presentation of bait.   I heard once digging up the soil will draw in hogs because the think there is food there.

• HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 332 Deckhand
    I can help keep those pesky deer off your bait...
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,928 AG
    Dump some used motor oil out, hogs love to waller in it.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

The corn dumped adjacent to the WMA is still there after 2 weeks.

A few nights ago I took this picture through my thermo imaging scope outside the WMA of a wild hog, near the corn but not eating it.    Proof the hogs are there but have no interest in corn.   I'm in the process of setting up tree stands in the WMA now that the hunting season has reopened..     Sure wish I could find those acorns inside the WMA.

[URL=https://smg.photobucket.com/user/jglass/media/hog thermo imaging small.jpg.html][IMG]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/jglass/hog thermo imaging small.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Sorry about the picture.   I wish there was a way to edit posts but have yet to figure it out.

Picture will not post.   Posting the link instead.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/jglass/hog thermo imaging small.jpg

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    jimglass points out something that may or may not be important and factual---GMO Corn!

To date I am aware of no formal studies on wildlife's preference to Non-GMO corn as opposed to GMO corn, but I have talked with other wildlife managers who know of one "unofficial" half-hearted study by a number of graduate students at a Southern University on the subject. Remember, major companies in agriculture and agricultural chemicals, Monsanto (now Beyer), fund most college level research and if the research subject doesn't benefit the companies, then no $$$ to fund it! Anyhow---

In this very informal "observation" it was seen that turkeys would not consume GMO corn, period. Whitetail Deer preferred Non-GMO corn, but would eat it if this is all that was available and browse was low to non-existent. With feral hogs it made no difference, so what jimglass says is interesting.

One other factor may or may not be a "player" in this: FERTILIZER! Unknown to most people, with federal government approval, major fertilizer manufacturers are now including solid waste from major city sewage treatment systems in fertilizers that are used on agricultural food crops. Sorry to tell you this!
    I wonder if that corn it tainted 
    might sound far fetched but..??

hogs are Pigs 
    pigs eat eat eat 

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    The hogs are getting picky with their diet. who'd a thunk it?
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    The new and improved Buff Hog 

I'll try to remember this GMO corn.    I know a farmer in Illinois that  has 2800 acres of  organic farming.  Spoke with him at a wedding last month.   Next year I'll try to remember to bring some organic corn to Florida as hog bait and try it.    My wife worked for Monsanto for a couple of years after Monsanto bought the DeKalb Ag seed business.   DeKalb ag developed GMO seed and other specialty  seeds.   Their stock really shot up!!  

Last year I purchased special hog feed for wild hog bait.    The wild hogs ignored it for weeks then started eating it as if they enjoyed it.    A hog farmer told me a few years ago to never mix hog food because if the hogs dislike something in the mix they will turn their nose on the entire batch.    So,,,,,I never mix hog baits.

For now I'll blame the acorn drop for the absence of hogs on my leased ground.   I would think the hogs would have the acorns eaten up by now but who knows for sure.   Studying satellite

photos last night of the WMA area trying to find the groves of oak trees dropping the acorns with no success.

Thanks for all the ideas

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,288 Admiral
    Hogs will eat corn 24/7 anytime they find it..
    The problem is helping them find it...smell is what they need.
    Also what Art says is correct , Motor Oil or Diesel will make a spot a Stop Over whenever they travel by.
    Old Carpet soaked with used Motor oil tied around a tree is a favorite for them traveling Boars. We got a spot on my Club that somebody pours Diesel in every year..ain't got a clue who it is but it's always rooted up.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,521 Captain
    jimglass points out something that may or may not be important and factual---GMO Corn!

To date I am aware of no formal studies on wildlife's preference to Non-GMO corn as opposed to GMO corn, but I have talked with other wildlife managers who know of one "unofficial" half-hearted study by a number of graduate students at a Southern University on the subject. Remember, major companies in agriculture and agricultural chemicals, Monsanto (now Beyer), fund most college level research and if the research subject doesn't benefit the companies, then no $$$ to fund it! Anyhow---

In this very informal "observation" it was seen that turkeys would not consume GMO corn, period. Whitetail Deer preferred Non-GMO corn, but would eat it if this is all that was available and browse was low to non-existent. With feral hogs it made no difference, so what jimglass says is interesting.

One other factor may or may not be a "player" in this: FERTILIZER! Unknown to most people, with federal government approval, major fertilizer manufacturers are now including solid waste from major city sewage treatment systems in fertilizers that are used on agricultural food crops. Sorry to tell you this!

LOL!
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,940 Captain
    I used to have a spot that I kept a feeder and used cooking oil on. The hogs ended up liking the oil so much that they wouldn’t want to leave the spot, even if they knew I was walking in on them. They’d wallow and lay in that oil all day in the heat. I ended up cutting off the oil after the hogs started tasting and smelling like fried fish. Soaking corn and getting them drunk works good too. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,655 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Dump some used motor oil out, hogs love to waller in it.
    Don’t go giving away secrete, Art. 
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    I can see it now - landowners get wind of used oil & diesel being indiscriminately dumped and stops leasing land due to potential "environmental cleanup".... Please know that material can stay around a long time. Who can say? :/  
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"