Home Off Topic

I understand poaching...

12346»

Replies

• tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

You are so full of it I can smell it through my screen.

Provide some evidence other than "that's because you never used one."

Come on...you claim that trout fishermen are killing a bunch of shorts without a shred of evidence too.

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,395 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #153
    ANUMBER1 said:
    That's because you never used one.
    Maybe, or maybe they were banned for a reason.  If you put out 100 gill nets, only 1 gill net will have an unintended catch...  not buying it at all.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    kellercl said:
    I can't imagine a while day of fighting a billfish.  That can't be good for the fish.
    I just came back from Costa Rica and caught dolphin, tuna and sailfish. No fight took over 15 minutes and the sail was 120 lbs. 
    Just curious, were those fish caught on 50's?
    I don't know. I rarely fish for fish that big.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    kellercl said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Maybe, or maybe they were banned for a reason.  If you put out 100 gill nets, only 1 gill net will have an unintended catch...  not buying it at all.
    Maybe all 100 will have unintended catch, but for each one only 1 bycatch species for the other 99 targeted species.

Perhaps that could be the case.

If you think about it.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    edited January 2019 #156
    I have thought about it and it is a sneaky way to work the data.  1% out of thousands and thousands of fish is still a big number.  There is a reason a percent is being pushed and not raw numbers, that is exactly the point I was pushing at.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    I know I'm just being an idiot
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    Nah, it was a good point.  I'm glad it was brought up.

-Walter Payton
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,697 AG
    short trout after short trout, why not move instead of stressing those fish?

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Numbers Art.
    Better to succeed at sucking than fail at succeeding.
    kellercl said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    mesh size and tensile strength will determine what size and to a large extent, species.
    One doesn't use chicken wire for bug screens.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    For the record I do move on if short trout are hitting.  Waste of my time.

-Walter Payton
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,127 Admiral

tankard said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    what about the folks that brag they caught 100 short trout to get their 4-5 keepers..

trout school in like sizes so why not move after 10-15 shorts?  
    They don't call them weakfish for nothing...

This is rich coming from a former gill netter.

I'm sure you were so good that you never had unintended bycatch....

using the right sized mesh and tensile strength mono will eliminate 99% of unwanted bycatch and undersize fish.

I bet your one of those trout jerkers that do this.
    How did they do on snook, 
    And yes I have been on more than a few net sets, used to be a family business 
    Didn't have Snook here when we were still fishing,
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Didn't have Snook here when we were still fishing,
    We were in the SW 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,019 Admiral
    I strung a Gill Net over a Mangrove creek mouth ...once.
    Caught 3 Million pounds of dead Mangrove leaves as the Tide dropped...just sayin.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,871 Admiral
    Caught 3 Million pounds of dead Mangrove leaves as the Tide dropped...just sayin.
    How did they taste?
    2amigo said:
    How did they taste?
    like snook!
    2amigo said:
    How did they taste?
    Obviously he smoked 'em