Home Off Topic

I understand poaching...

Replies

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,125 Admiral
    ,Billy No Mates said:
    2amigo said:
    Having a creature fight for its life, sometimes for hours , then releasing is torture.
    Who fights a fish for hours! Your an idiot if you are doing that.
    There are some fish out there that require hours to land giant blue fins and giant swordfish for example,

Then they are using the wrong equipment. Of course a fish is going to die after a two hour battle. The toxins have built up so much that the fish has no chance. Not much of a sportsman if that is what you like to do, in my opinion.
    I have caught swordfish on a  80 with 130 lb Jerry brown hollow core it took about 1 1/2 hours or so and required a dart at boat side to subdue,if it would have escaped just prior to the dart I have no doubt it would of survived
    Just how big of tackle would you recommend? 
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,866 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #123
    2amigo said:
    Having a creature fight for its life, sometimes for hours , then releasing is torture.
    You must fish inshore.  I know guys that fought a big A$s swordfish all night and other guys as well who have fought swords for a few hours.  Are they idiots?  No, some are pro anglers who have won some serious money tournament fishing.  There are many long marlin fights, Tuna etc.. by many anglers and professional captains.  Idiots?  Would you stop a few minutes in and cut the line? 
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    2amigo said:
    2amigo said:
      I know guys that fought a big A$s swordfish all night and other guys as well who have fought swords for a few hours.  Are they idiots?  No, some are pro anglers who have won some serious money tournament fishing.   
    Just because you are making money at it doesn't mean you aren't an idiot for doing it. They certainly could not care less about the fish after released.
    edited January 2019 #125
    2amigo said:
    2amigo said:
      Would you stop a few minutes in and cut the line? 
    Yes. At the point I thought the fish was loosing it's chance to survive. But I don't fish for money. So the decision is easy for me.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,375 Admiral
    I can't imagine a while day of fighting a billfish.  That can't be good for the fish.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    I can't imagine a while day of fighting a billfish.  That can't be good for the fish.
    I just came back from Costa Rica and caught dolphin, tuna and sailfish. No fight took over 15 minutes and the sail was 120 lbs. 
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,064 Captain
    Mister-Jr said:
    GA Fin said:
    There are actually videos of deer/hogs/Cape Buffalo taken with spears on YouTube.
    I would call that hunting.  Buying a high powered rifle and sitting in a tree until a deer walks by so you can shoot it, not so much.  Hunting is legal within the rules applied by states, so I'm just offering my opinion.

Have you actually ever been hunting? Like sat down, on the ground or climbed a tree and sat there for hours waiting and praying that the one species of game you have selected to hunt happens to walk by? Or maybe stalked through the underbrush silently hoping you to spook up or take your game by surprise while at the same time hoping you dont stumble upon a momma hog and her babies or a gator or rattle snakes or a bear perhaps? Ive spoken to people like you who have a similar view to yours and they have never ever done the things I listed above. So have you actually done any of those things?
    I've sure spent a lot of time romping around in the woods, I've never hunted to kill in them.

However, I do sight fish for tarpon with some frequency.

What's the difference between tarpon fishing and hunting?

Although guns and rods/reels are quite different weapons, the sports themselves appear to me as two sides of the same coin, and I don't see much difference between the two.

Do you? 

The difference is only in Mr’s mind, Tarp. Since he enjoys one, and not the other, he has no problem condemning the one he doesn’t participate in, while saying the one he does is fine.

i know the stats, Mr. but if even one or two die, you still caused it, and still used a mechanical advantage to cause the death of the fish. I’ll bet you caused more fish to die in the last 12 months, than I’ve killed deer. 

FWI, I saw over 50 while in various stands, blinds, and still hunting this year. 
    ,Billy No Mates said:
    2amigo said:
    There are some fish out there that require hours to land giant blue fins and giant swordfish for example,

Do people catch and release giant swords and giant bluefin?
    Not much, but they do catch plenty of marlins, shsrks and other fishnthat can take a while to get to the boat. You also have guys that like to use very light tackle on fish that aren’t giants. While it might not take hours, it can defiantly lead to a very tired, and near,y dead fish at boatside. If not reviewed properly, those fish almost always die. I’ve watched porpoises in Mosquito Lagoon eat bunches or reds, snook, and trout released by fishermen.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    pottydoc said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    GA Fin said:
    There are actually videos of deer/hogs/Cape Buffalo taken with spears on YouTube.
    I would call that hunting.  Buying a high powered rifle and sitting in a tree until a deer walks by so you can shoot it, not so much.  Hunting is legal within the rules applied by states, so I'm just offering my opinion.

Have you actually ever been hunting? Like sat down, on the ground or climbed a tree and sat there for hours waiting and praying that the one species of game you have selected to hunt happens to walk by? Or maybe stalked through the underbrush silently hoping you to spook up or take your game by surprise while at the same time hoping you dont stumble upon a momma hog and her babies or a gator or rattle snakes or a bear perhaps? Ive spoken to people like you who have a similar view to yours and they have never ever done the things I listed above. So have you actually done any of those things?
    I've sure spent a lot of time romping around in the woods, I've never hunted to kill in them.

However, I do sight fish for tarpon with some frequency.

What's the difference between tarpon fishing and hunting?

Although guns and rods/reels are quite different weapons, the sports themselves appear to me as two sides of the same coin, and I don't see much difference between the two.

Do you? 

The difference is only in Mr’s mind, Tarp. Since he enjoys one, and not the other, he has no problem condemning the one he doesn’t participate in, while saying the one he does is fine.

i know the stats, Mr. but if even one or two die, you still caused it, and still used a mechanical advantage to cause the death of the fish. I’ll bet you caused more fish to die in the last 12 months, than I’ve killed deer. 

FWI, I saw over 50 while in various stands, blinds, and still hunting this year. 
    Hi Potty,  I agree.  There's no real difference between hunting and fishing -- both result in death.  Take care...Mike

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,694 AG
    Good to see you back Tarp!

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    edited January 2019 #132
    kellercl said:
    I just came back from Costa Rica and caught dolphin, tuna and sailfish. No fight took over 15 minutes and the sail was 120 lbs. 
    Lol.  Those fish should not take over 15 minutes.  120 lbs 🤣 Nice pacific but seriously not in the class we are talking about here. 
    edited January 2019 #133
    2amigo said:
    2amigo said:
      Would you stop a few minutes in and cut the line? 
    Yes. At the point I thought the fish was loosing it's chance to survive. But I don't fish for money. So the decision is easy for me.
    These are hardened anglers I am talking about in the other post.  I never said they were fishing for money when latched onto big fish. Just that they were anglers and captains that are so good at what they do it still takes them awhile with monster sized fish. You apparently have never been strapped into a rod with a huge fish so you don’t know your decision. 
    edited January 2019 #134
    2amigo said:
    2amigo said:
      I know guys that fought a big A$s swordfish all night and other guys as well who have fought swords for a few hours.  Are they idiots?  No, some are pro anglers who have won some serious money tournament fishing.   
    Just because you are making money at it doesn't mean you aren't an idiot for doing it. They certainly could not care less about the fish after released.
    Didn’t say they were fishing for money when strapped onto a big fish. Just guys who are more experienced than you that they have won big money tournaments who have been behind the reel on fish that weigh far more than 120 lbs. and still took a few hours to get in. Whatever you do, don’t go swordfishing.  Because if one over 300 lbs gets on you will have to cut the line at about the hour mark.  And the point of all this is, is that fishing is a kill sport and with catch and release you will still kill fish. It’s just the way it is. 

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,799 Admiral

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    edited January 2019 #136
    ,Billy No Mates said:
    2amigo said:

Then they are using the wrong equipment. Of course a fish is going to die after a two hour battle. The toxins have built up so much that the fish has no chance. Not much of a sportsman if that is what you like to do, in my opinion.
    I have caught swordfish on a  80 with 130 lb Jerry brown hollow core it took about 1 1/2 hours or so and required a dart at boat side to subdue,if it would have escaped just prior to the dart I have no doubt it would of survived
    Just how big of tackle would you recommend? 
    Billy would have cut that fish off at 15 minutes to save you the trouble.  He apparently doesn’t like people that catch big fish and is pontificating that nobody else should. Ridiculous that somebody in here is judging how other people fish and that according to him are idiots for catching big fish. 
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,657 AG
    It's easy. Don't fish and you won't catch big fish that take time to get in and they will live their life out. GMAFB.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    what about the folks that brag they caught 100 short trout to get their 4-5 keepers..

trout school in like sizes so why not move after 10-15 shorts?  
    They don't call them weakfish for nothing...
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    2amigo said:
    2amigo said:
    2amigo said:
    Didn’t say they were fishing for money when strapped onto a big fish. Just guys who are more experienced than you that they have won big money tournaments who have been behind the reel on fish that weigh far more than 120 lbs. and still took a few hours to get in. Whatever you do, don’t go swordfishing.  Because if one over 300 lbs gets on you will have to cut the line at about the hour mark.  And the point of all this is, is that fishing is a kill sport and with catch and release you will still kill fish. It’s just the way it is. 

I have fished with some of the best captains to ever drive a boat backwards, sometimes it takes time, 

DSC_0086

DSC_0089

This Blue was estimated at over 800 lbs (notice the wake she is pushing) and was caught on a 80 how long should it have taken?
    This was during a release event, 

Dang nice blue, DB. 
    2amigo said:
    Billy would have cut that fish off at 15 minutes to save you the trouble.  He apparently doesn’t like people that catch big fish and is pontificating that nobody else should. Ridiculous that somebody in here is judging how other people fish and that according to him are idiots for catching big fish.
    You don't pay attention very well and then like to assume nonsense.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    what about the folks that brag they caught 100 short trout to get their 4-5 keepers..

This is rich coming from a former gill netter.

I'm sure you were so good that you never had unintended bycatch....

• FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    You know what sucks? Poaching, poaching sucks. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    tankard said:
    ANUMBER1 said:

tankard said:
    ANUMBER1 said:

using the right sized mesh and tensile strength mono will eliminate 99% of unwanted bycatch and undersize fish.

I bet your one of those trout jerkers that do this.

Guess again. Trout aren't real high on my list.

99% Sorry, not buying it.

don't care if you do or don't.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,375 Admiral
    I don't buy gill nets are 99% effective either.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton

Neither does he, as always he is belittling recs and building himself up.

kellercl said:
    Just curious, were those fish caught on 50's?
    kellercl said:
    I don't buy gill nets are 99% effective either.  

That's because you never used one.