Home Off Topic

I understand poaching...

Replies

• swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    There's hunting and there's killing. A great hunt might also include a successful kill. Not everyone can hunt and kill every time. Personally I don't kill game without hunting. Pulling into the hunt area and shooting a legal critter in the road is mostly killing and just not hunting. Yeah I get keeping your eye peeled for all opportunities can be "hunting" if we absolutely need the protein. Shooting feral pigs out of my yard isn't hunting to me; it's ridding the yard of a pest. I say that even after helping drag a big ole boar (185 lbs) out of the woods on the WMA this season on what was a hunt with a kill and a lot of hard work. So to each their own. Be safe peeps it's winding down in zone C.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    Mister-Jr said:
    Go out with your bare hands and made a weapon, stalk a deer and kill it for food and I'll consider you a hunter. Otherwise, you're just a human with a manufactured advantage.

I take it you are not a hunter? No a fisherman either I suppose? I see you love trolling though, so there's that. 
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,680 AG
    GA Fin said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    Go out with your bare hands and made a weapon, stalk a deer and kill it for food and I'll consider you a hunter. Otherwise, you're just a human with a manufactured advantage.

I take it you are not a hunter? No a fisherman either I suppose? I see you love trolling though, so there's that. 
    That is a good question.

Mister, Do you fish? 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    mplspug said:
    Hunting is for men .
    There are a lot of women that could out hunt you any time.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Mister-Jr said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    That would be inhumane. A clean efficient kill is important 
    Keep telling yourself that.
    Do you really want someone with a home made weapon to try to kill a deer? It’s hard enough with a bow or a rifle. All someone is going to do with a home made spear is wound a deer. You can’t really want that. Weather you like it or not, people will hunt deer( I don’t), and the more humanely they can take the animal the better.
    You should have been here yesterday
    There are actually videos of deer/hogs/Cape Buffalo taken with spears on YouTube.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,595 AG
    mplspug said:
    Hunting is for men .
    A lot?  How about all?  I don't hunt...but I have nothing against hunting.  I find most hunters are very ethical and moral in their sport.  Sorry I will be more gender inclusive in the future. 

Captain Todd Approves

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,127 Admiral
    mplspug said:
    Hunting is for men . Beta wouldn't understand.
    mplspug said:
      I don't hunt...
    edited January 2019 #40
    Zing!  

There is no mutually exclusivity involved. 

Captain Todd Approves

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    cadman said:
    GA Fin said:
    Mister-Jr said:

That is a good question.

Mister, Do you fish? 
    I used to fish every weekend, not too much anymore.  I would keep a fish for the table and release the rest.  I took off all treble hooks and replaced them with a single hook with the barb mashed for easy release and never brought any snook, redfish, or trout into the boat that was going to be released.  

I have fished with a few guides that wanted pictures of particularly good catches for their website. I have also caught a few bonefish and tarpon that were photographed before being released.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    mplspug said:
    mplspug said:
    Hunting is for men .
    A lot?  How about all?  I don't hunt...but I have nothing against hunting.  I find most hunters are very ethical and moral in their sport.  Sorry I will be more gender inclusive in the future. 
    :#:#:#
    GA Fin said:
    There are actually videos of deer/hogs/Cape Buffalo taken with spears on YouTube.
    I would call that hunting.  Buying a high powered rifle and sitting in a tree until a deer walks by so you can shoot it, not so much.  Hunting is legal within the rules applied by states, so I'm just offering my opinion.

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    I’m for any technology that makes the kill easier/cleaner/more efficient. Adamantly against technology that makes the chase easier ( especially drones)
    You should have been here yesterday
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    Mister-Jr said:
    GA Fin said:
    I would call that hunting.  Buying a high powered rifle and sitting in a tree until a deer walks by so you can shoot it, not so much.  Hunting is legal within the rules applied by states, so I'm just offering my opinion.

Have you actually ever been hunting? Like sat down, on the ground or climbed a tree and sat there for hours waiting and praying that the one species of game you have selected to hunt happens to walk by? Or maybe stalked through the underbrush silently hoping you to spook up or take your game by surprise while at the same time hoping you dont stumble upon a momma hog and her babies or a gator or rattle snakes or a bear perhaps? Ive spoken to people like you who have a similar view to yours and they have never ever done the things I listed above. So have you actually done any of those things?
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    Mister-Jr said:
    GA Fin said:

Have you actually ever been hunting? Like sat down, on the ground or climbed a tree and sat there for hours waiting and praying that the one species of game you have selected to hunt happens to walk by? Or maybe stalked through the underbrush silently hoping you to spook up or take your game by surprise while at the same time hoping you dont stumble upon a momma hog and her babies or a gator or rattle snakes or a bear perhaps? Ive spoken to people like you who have a similar view to yours and they have never ever done the things I listed above. So have you actually done any of those things?
    I grew up in a relative small KY town.  I know at least as much about hunting as you. 
    Mister-Jr said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    GA Fin said:

I grew up in a relative small KY town.  I know at least as much about hunting as you. 

I mean thats not quite answering my question is it?
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    Mister-Jr said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    GA Fin said:

Yes, I have tried and sometimes was successful shooting animals many years ago.  Mostly waterfowl.  I have tromped through the woods sitting in a duck blind when it 20 degrees outside. I lived on the Mississippi Flyway and every winter we were overrun with duck and geese migrating South.  

Mister-Jr said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    GA Fin said:

Yes, I have tried and sometimes was successful shooting animals many years ago.  Mostly waterfowl.  I have tromped through the woods sitting in a duck blind when it 20 degrees outside. I lived on the Mississippi Flyway and every winter we were overrun with duck and geese migrating South.  

Okay, I just wanna make sure
    Mister-Jr said:

I knew it!  You have never hunted.

Captain Todd Approves

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,697 AG
    I like running deer with dogs and tearing up trucks trying to cut them off..

It's like NASCAR with guns.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 866 Officer
    Ive had to stop my car for trophys in the highway alot up here, wanted to shoot them out of anger, not sport.
    There was a story of a guy that drove 100y through 2 ditches to 'hit' a gamewardens robot up here aswell, so theres that.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper

A guy that used to lay tile for me shot a decoy in Georgia. He told the wardens that if he was getting a ticket he wanted a picture with the deercoy. They obliged.

Then the dummy lost his gun rights(convicted of a felony) when he turned in a canister of 35mm film that turned out to be his weed stash canister. The idiot went up to the drug store where he dropped off the "film" to get his weed back and they called the cops. Cops brow beat him and he gave consent to search his dwelling. They found a few pot plants growing in his garage. Bingo! Felony.

GA Fin said:

A guy that used to lay tile for me shot a decoy in Georgia. He told the wardens that if he was getting a ticket he wanted a picture with the deercoy. They obliged.

Then the dummy lost his gun rights(convicted of a felony) when he turned in a canister of 35mm film that turned out to be his weed stash canister. The idiot went up to the drug store where he dropped off the "film" to get his weed back and they called the cops. Cops brow beat him and he gave consent to search his dwelling. They found a few pot plants growing in his garage. Bingo! Felony.

Can you spell...genius? lol
    GA Fin said:

Wait! There's more!

He got hooked up with Sedgefield Plantation in Alabama(trophy deer) and swapped out tile work for deer hunting.

When the plantation sold he could no longer hunt it. He got a cheap motel room and would sneak on the property to shoot deer. Well, one day he shoots a deer and a young hand hears the shot, investigates and chases Gary(I'll call him "Gary", because that's his name) through the woods. Since Gary was out of shape (300+ pounds)  the kid was closing in. Gary sends a rifle shot towards him to "scare" him(that was the claim, I doubt he intended to miss). Gary ends up in jail. A felon shooting at a young man while poaching deer.

GA Fin said:
    GA Fin said:

Wait! There's more!

He got hooked up with Sedgefield Plantation in Alabama(trophy deer) and swapped out tile work for deer hunting.

When the plantation sold he could no longer hunt it. He got a cheap motel room and would sneak on the property to shoot deer. Well, one day he shoots a deer and a young hand hears the shot, investigates and chases Gary(I'll call him "Gary", because that's his name) through the woods. Since Gary was out of shape (300+ pounds)  the kid was closing in. Gary sends a rifle shot towards him to "scare" him(that was the claim, I doubt he intended to miss). Gary ends up in jail. A felon shooting at a young man while poaching deer.

Man, this guy just sucks lol
    GA Fin said:
    GA Fin said:

Wait! There's more!

Those are the types of guys you will be dealing with. The scary part is that they will be armed.

GA Fin said:
    GA Fin said:
    GA Fin said:

Wait! There's more!

Those are the types of guys you will be dealing with. The scary part is that they will be armed.
    Oh, youre referring to me being a Warden. Yeah thats a rarity though, people like him. 
    Oh, youre referring to me being a Warden. Yeah thats a rarity though, people like him. 
    Not as rare as you might believe. And it only takes 1.

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,810 Admiral
    Mister-Jr said:

I have tromped through the woods sitting in a duck blind when it 20 degrees outside. I lived on the Mississippi Flyway and every winter we were overrun with duck and geese migrating South.  

I can see it now …

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,680 AG
    So you admit to fishing. Let me ask you a question. 

Mister-Jr said:
    Are you sure you were a fisherman? Or just a human with a manufactured advantage. You even admit to using a boat. How unfair can you get, 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement.