Offshore Friday 01/18/2018

Headed out at 0400, normally run around 20 knots on way out, but was so nice, able to run 25kts. We got out to east of the dry dock earlier than anticipated so stopped at a ledge before the sun came up. Nothing but large red snapper. As it started to get light, we headed east on the troll. Trolled for 3 hours with only a small bonito. Time to hit the bottom. Fished some broken bottom in 130', caught some nice triggers and a bunch more red snapper that we released. Started to head to another spot 2 miles away and decided to put out a Nomad DTX plug on the way over. Trolled for 5 minutes and had a hit. Nice wahoo in the boat. Put lure back out and noticed not running right. Pulled it back in and noticed the wahoo had broke the lure in half right behind the head. Put out another one but no other hits the rest of the day. Hit a few more bottom spots for an assortment of triggers, b-liners, red porgies, and 1 mutton snapper that was too little. Flat calm on way in, beautiful day on the water.

Replies

• Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,340 Captain
    Nice job Wally!
  • TheNSBkidTheNSBkid Lake MaryPosts: 58 Greenhorn
    Great catch!
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 1,099 Officer
    nice work! congrats!
  • minnowsnmonstersminnowsnmonsters Posts: 359 Deckhand
    Well done! Nice variety there.
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 280 Deckhand
    Nice catch
  • rookiemistakerookiemistake Posts: 1,152 Officer
    I have 3 dtx minnows no love so far, were rookies so its probably us not the lure. How did yall rig it? I bet if you send them an email they would probably replace it.
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 580 Officer
    I rig with a couple of feet of single strand wire. Just replace after every trip. The action of the lure weakens the wire and will eventually wear through. Second wahoo on the dtx minnow.
  • rookiemistakerookiemistake Posts: 1,152 Officer
    edited February 5 #9
    Pangaman said:
    I rig with a couple of feet of single strand wire. Just replace after every trip. The action of the lure weakens the wire and will eventually wear through. Second wahoo on the dtx minnow.
    Thanks man, well theres one floating around the ocean only single strand we had was way to thin and it wore  through. It was the fireball color. What lb single strand do you use?
    I think I use #10 124 pound wire. I did contact Nomad and I just received my replacement DTX last night for free. Great customer service. They asked for a receipt and where I bought. Told them no receipt and to contact Dave Workman at strike zone. That was good enough for them.
  • portusrogerportusroger Posts: 151 Deckhand
    Pangaman said:

Headed out at 0400, normally run around 20 knots on way out, but was so nice, able to run 25kts. We got out to east of the dry dock earlier than anticipated so stopped at a ledge before the sun came up. Nothing but large red snapper. As it started to get light, we headed east on the troll. Trolled for 3 hours with only a small bonito. Time to hit the bottom. Fished some broken bottom in 130', caught some nice triggers and a bunch more red snapper that we released. Started to head to another spot 2 miles away and decided to put out a Nomad DTX plug on the way over. Trolled for 5 minutes and had a hit. Nice wahoo in the boat. Put lure back out and noticed not running right. Pulled it back in and noticed the wahoo had broke the lure in half right behind the head. Put out another one but no other hits the rest of the day. Hit a few more bottom spots for an assortment of triggers, b-liners, red porgies, and 1 mutton snapper that was too little. Flat calm on way in, beautiful day on the water.

Panga how fast do you troll it and how far behind the boat?
    It seems to swim best at 7 to 8 knots. They say they will pull faster, but the ones I have want to swim to the side above 8 knots. Not far back, maybe 50’. 
  • po28derpo28der Posts: 213 Deckhand
    Looks like you guys had a good day. I found a lot of snapper and a couple triggers. Snapper are out of freakin control.