? On painting rod

what type of spray paint do you guys use or recomend when repainting a rod?  I want to paint a Lamiglss black.  In the past i have used an enamel based paaint and it worked out well.  Just want to know if I should be thinking about anything else.  Thanks

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,462 Moderator
    When I paint a rod, I use Krylon Spray, and then put a thin cot of FlexCoat over the paint
  • ReelthiefReelthief Fort Lauderdale Posts: 107 Deckhand
    About 2 years ago I painted an old blank with krylon fusion. Lightly sanded the blank with 600 grit and a really good wipedown with laquer thinner. Used their  satin black. Did two light coats and let the rod sit for a week before I touched it. Never top coated the paint with anything just wrapped as usual. My daughter has used it as her canal Mayan cichlid rod ever since and the paint has held up perfect. You can't even tell it was painted. I think letting it setup for the week may have contributed to the end result. The paint part # is 2732 for the satin black I used.
  • InstaGatorInstaGator Posts: 147 Deckhand
    Thanks guys
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,761 Captain
    I would have expected epoxy-based paint to be the best choice, and am surprised to read of an enamal base being recommended.
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,028 Officer
    Krylon fusion or a good auto paint if you know someone who paints cars.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,462 Moderator
    I would have expected epoxy-based paint to be the best choice, and am surprised to read of an enamal base being recommended.
    Epoxy paint will chalk after a while. 
  • Yellowtail 23Yellowtail 23 Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Contact Backbone Custom rods. Don Shafar paints the best rod blanks around. He can put you on the right track. Find him on Instagram or Facebook.