Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

New to central florida, could use some info?

RedroyRedroy Spokane, waPosts: 26 Greenhorn
Im going to be in kissimmee florida this march and just need to know where i could rent a kayak to get on a lake? Or just any good bank fishing would be fine i guess. Ill be flying doen so im gonna bring onlt a few rods and lures. Please help!!

Replies

• DaveScampilanoDaveScampilano Junior Member Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    I'm not too sure about Kissimmee, but I would follow the advice on the visiting Orlando thread.  The bass should be in post spawn.  Think texas rigged!  Spend some time on google maps and look for lakes, canals close to where you are staying. Good luck!
  • FS JeffFS Jeff Editor Treasure Coast, FLPosts: 376 Moderator
    Here's an idea-- You can rent a powerboat up on Turkey Lake for $32
    https://myfwc.com/conservation/freshwater/fish-orlando/the-fab-five/

Jeff Weakley
  • RedroyRedroy Spokane, waPosts: 26 Greenhorn
    Will do, I’ll check that out. And I’ll study google maps some more for water. 
    If you don't mind me asking. Where are you staying?
    I’m staying in Championsgate right off the I-4, will be their March 13-20th.
    Celebration lakeside resort, I've heard fishing is good there, If you can access Bonnet Creek nearby it looks good as well.  Old lake davenport boat ramp at the back of a soccer park. Kissimmee lakefront park on lake toho.  Also check shingle creek, I think there might be a kayak rental somewhere.  Lastly, the Turkey Lake option might be the best of all.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info! I’m going to look those places up and make a game plan. Do you guys have a specific color you like for the lakes mentioned. Here in eastern WA. a go to color for a Yamamoto senko, for example, is pumpkin green with black flake, for crankbaits perch patterns work really well, chartreuse spinner baits. Those are what I primarily use anyway.
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,873 Moderator
    Those will work. White for the spinnerbait , but that's just me.

"You'll get your weather"
    I’ve got about 6 weeks till I fly out so all this information is awesome. I’m only gonna pack 2, 2 piece poles and and small tackle box, some 20lb braid on both reels, a little roll of fluorocarbon for some leader. Saw that you guys use the shiners a lot so I’m also gonna try those out. Do you have to use a cork/ bobber  when you use shiners?
    Can I access the Conway chain of lakes or the butler chain from shore/bank anywhere? 
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,873 Moderator
    A float is good for shiner fishing but not necessary . Depends on the structure and depth. At the time of year you are fishing use a cork and stay near shallow weeds to target large spawning fish.
    "You'll get your weather"
    Ok I’ll do that. So far March can be fished with cranks, senkos, or shiners, those are the baits most people have suggested. Obviously you can try anything you want but those three have been the most popular.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Senior Member OrlandoPosts: 10,466 AG
    edited January 2019 #14
    Redroy said:
    Can I access the Conway chain of lakes or the butler chain from shore/bank anywhere? 
    Not that I'm aware of.  Need a boat or kayak to get out. Butler chain has only 1 public ramp that I know of, and the folks that live on probably hate the fact that the hoi polloi can use it lol.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    Check with the Championsgate resort, I believe they allow you to fish on their property.
    cool thank you for the heads up regarding butler chain. I appreciate that. I got some info on kayak rentals, and a cheap temporary roof rack system for a rental car for example, so I might look into that. And I will also check out championsgate resort. Only six weeks to go and I’m gonna hopefully be fishing in Florida, I’m stoked!