Home General Hunting

Anyone ever hunted Little Big Econ or Charles H Bronson?

FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,206 Officer
My dad and I are looking to get into these hunts however, we know nothing about them and the brochures are...disappointing. Anyone have any experience with either of these? Both of these are very local to my house and it would be a cool experience to get my hand into the public wma hunting that many of you fellas have suggested.
If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 

Replies

• Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 259 Deckhand
    You can pm me.  I have hunted CB several times.
  • johnskrojohnskro OrlandoPosts: 5 Deckhand
    Spent a few weekends out at Bronson during small game season, lots of squirrels. 
    The place is very big. Saw a good variety of wildlife. It would take a long time to learn the area.
  • waterdipperwaterdipper Posts: 80 Deckhand
    I have no experience hunting either of these WMAs, but I am sure they are just like most of the others in the state. Since you live close by to both, go spend as much time as you can learning the lay of the land. What most people don't realize is, the only way to be consistently kill game on public lands is to scout. You can't read about it, you can't come here on a forum and figure it out, you got to put your boots on the ground and do the work. If "public land hunter" is going to become part of who you are,you will come to love scouting.  If you don't enjoy scouting and spending time in the woods during the off-season, you need to get in a lease and hunt over a feeder. On public land, scouting is 95% of the hunt, the kill is just the icing on the cake. The more time and effort you put into it, the more cake (venison) you will get to eat.  
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,206 Officer
    I have no experience hunting either of these WMAs, but I am sure they are just like most of the others in the state. Since you live close by to both, go spend as much time as you can learning the lay of the land. What most people don't realize is, the only way to be consistently kill game on public lands is to scout. You can't read about it, you can't come here on a forum and figure it out, you got to put your boots on the ground and do the work. If "public land hunter" is going to become part of who you are,you will come to love scouting.  If you don't enjoy scouting and spending time in the woods during the off-season, you need to get in a lease and hunt over a feeder. On public land, scouting is 95% of the hunt, the kill is just the icing on the cake. The more time and effort you put into it, the more cake (venison) you will get to eat.  
    What are the chances I will actually get drawn for it?
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    How many quota hunts am I allowed to put in for every season? Like can I submit multiple applications?
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Take a peek at the regulations and see how many you can apply for.

Archery - you get 5 choices, if the no. 1 choice doesn't get drawn you get a pref point.  Same for Rifle and ML. 

You get 1 pref point per weapon per year if the no. 1 choices aren't drawn.  After 4 or 5 points you start getting ticked-off.  Pref points go to 0 when you get your no. 1 choice (per weapon).  If you have 3 pref points, don't waste em on a place like Toso where you can get on with 1.

Different areas will give diff opportunities - I'm not sure about too many other areas.  I apply for my chosen hunts and if I don't get 'em I don't go.  FL hunting is not my first choice - too hot most of the time.

You don't have to apply for 5 choices for each weapon type - do yourself a favor and check your schedule against any permits you apply for.  If I'm going fishing on Oct 5, I would avoid any hunt permits that include Oct 5.  Really tough to pull a permit with 4 points and then have stuff to do that prohibits hunting.  

Didn't realize they were quota only areas for deer season. You will most likely need a few preference points to get either of them. You need to either find a close by non-quota WMA or a romp and stomp you can hunt that you can find to hunt while you build up preference points to get the area you want. This is how most of us public land hunters do it. Find a romp and stomp and learn it head to toe. Then find a quota area you like and learn it head to toe. Hunt the romp and stomp every year and then hunt the quota hunts when you are lucky to get them.  

https://myfwc.com/hunting/no-quota-permit-hunting/

Rich M said:
    Take a peek at the regulations and see how many you can apply for.

Archery - you get 5 choices, if the no. 1 choice doesn't get drawn you get a pref point.  Same for Rifle and ML. 

You get 1 pref point per weapon per year if the no. 1 choices aren't drawn.  After 4 or 5 points you start getting ticked-off.  Pref points go to 0 when you get your no. 1 choice (per weapon).  If you have 3 pref points, don't waste em on a place like Toso where you can get on with 1.

Different areas will give diff opportunities - I'm not sure about too many other areas.  I apply for my chosen hunts and if I don't get 'em I don't go.  FL hunting is not my first choice - too hot most of the time.

You don't have to apply for 5 choices for each weapon type - do yourself a favor and check your schedule against any permits you apply for.  If I'm going fishing on Oct 5, I would avoid any hunt permits that include Oct 5.  Really tough to pull a permit with 4 points and then have stuff to do that prohibits hunting.  
    Man this is all very confusing for some reason.
    edited January 2019 #10

Didn't realize they were quota only areas for deer season. You will most likely need a few preference points to get either of them. You need to either find a close by non-quota WMA or a romp and stomp you can hunt that you can find to hunt while you build up preference points to get the area you want. This is how most of us public land hunters do it. Find a romp and stomp and learn it head to toe. Then find a quota area you like and learn it head to toe. Hunt the romp and stomp every year and then hunt the quota hunts when you are lucky to get them.  

https://myfwc.com/hunting/no-quota-permit-hunting/

I found one that is 30 mins away but Im not quite sure what you mean. I dont need to apply for it? I dont need to specifically purchase a permit for it? FWC's website isnt very clear on directions. 
    edited January 2019 #11

You need to purchase a hunting license and a WMA permit to hunt ANY public land in the state. If the WMA doesn't require a "quota permit" then you don't need anything else (unless archery or muzzleloader hunting) for it and you just go hunt it when the area is open to hunting. If it is a quota area then you need to apply for the permits. The application period usually happens in June. I get a Gold Sportsman License annually and this includes ALL licenses to do any hunting or fishing in the state except a Federal Duck Stamp.

I know this stuff seems confusing when you first get into it, but it really isn't that hard to figure out.

Okay makes sense, if anyone is in the CFL area and could meet up with me to help me look at the lake monroe wma that would be cool, give me some advice on what to look for. I have general ideas, I can track and stuff but I still want to gain some insight from guys who have lots of experience with wma hunting. 
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    It is confusing until you get used to it - not as bad as the offshore fishing seasons and such these days. 

FL hunting is mostly poor opportunities with lotsa folks around sharing the pain & some enjoying the heck out of it.  Where else can you hunt from July to February?  Just need to be willing to drive and hunt the seasons...

Do your research with FWC - then research other public entities that might have hunts - be creative - FWC has a good start for you on their website.  Folks from other states are used to just going into the woods and hunting - not here.  You need an advanced degree in permit applications and probability to hunt more than once or twice a season without attending the local romp & stomp.

After Lake Monroe, the next closest well known romp & stomps I'm aware of are Bull Creek, Green Swamp and Ocala - I've seen upwards of 10-12 does a day in Ocala but no legal deer (bucks) the couple of years I hunted there.  Decided it was not worth driving 4 hours (2 hrs each way) a day to hunt.  Never hunted Green Swamp.  Only been to Bull Creek (Herky Huffman?) once - 1.5 to 2 hours for me - too far.

You can look up the harvest data and hunter days for many of the WMAs - it is eye opening. 
  • ajrickettsajricketts Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Rich M said:
    It is confusing until you get used to it - not as bad as the offshore fishing seasons and such these days. 

FL hunting is mostly poor opportunities with lotsa folks around sharing the pain & some enjoying the heck out of it.  Where else can you hunt from July to February?  Just need to be willing to drive and hunt the seasons...

Do your research with FWC - then research other public entities that might have hunts - be creative - FWC has a good start for you on their website.  Folks from other states are used to just going into the woods and hunting - not here.  You need an advanced degree in permit applications and probability to hunt more than once or twice a season without attending the local romp & stomp.

After Lake Monroe, the next closest well known romp & stomps I'm aware of are Bull Creek, Green Swamp and Ocala - I've seen upwards of 10-12 does a day in Ocala but no legal deer (bucks) the couple of years I hunted there.  Decided it was not worth driving 4 hours (2 hrs each way) a day to hunt.  Never hunted Green Swamp.  Only been to Bull Creek (Herky Huffman?) once - 1.5 to 2 hours for me - too far.

You can look up the harvest data and hunter days for many of the WMAs - it is eye opening. 
    That's why is tough for those of us that live in the south, lol. For me, Ocala is 4-5 hours each way, Green Swamp and Bull Creek are both about 3+ hours each way. Certainly makes it hard to scout and learn an area lol. 
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,925 Captain
    Rich M said:

That's why is tough for those of us that live in the south, lol. For me, Ocala is 4-5 hours each way, Green Swamp and Bull Creek are both about 3+ hours each way. Certainly makes it hard to scout and learn an area lol. 
    Well you moved to the tip of a peninsula......