Report from St Augustine 1-18

d_tomlinsond_tomlinson Jacksonville, FLPosts: 8 Greenhorn
I went on my first ever high speed trolling trip Friday out of St Augustine.  Didn't catch a wahoo but everything (gear and whatnot) seemed to work the way I intended with only a couple of things I think I need to change, so that's a plus.  We did see a huge wahoo jump clean out of the water at about 50 miles out, so there out there for sure.  We trolled around that area for a while then headed on out to the first drop off of the ledge.  The water was nice and blue and about 72 degrees.  Caught some bee-liners and grunts and a barracuda, so not a bad day.  Looks like it may be a while before I can try it again.  The weather and seas were unbelievable Friday.  We were able to run 30 mph all the way out.  Looks like it's going to be pretty sloppy for a while now though.  Saw another big wahoo jump on the way in at nearly the same spot as the first too, so I guess we may try it there for a little longer next time.  :)

Replies

• jaxnole23jaxnole23 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    It's tough for those of us who can't get out there all the time, some days they just will not bite anything and the next day it's the opposite. Thanks for the update, hope those seas lay down again sometime soon.
  • bigslickbigslick Posts: 132 Deckhand
    Thanks for taking the time to post a report. This weather is killing me, haven't fished since the 6th and was outta town friday so I missed the window. 
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,278 Officer
    good deal!!  surprised we aren't seeing more reports from Friday... heard it was a nice day for sure... good luck next time and thanks for the report!
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 180 Deckhand
    Had the same problem- dang job got in the way on the days it laid down enough to go out. Nice job and thanks for the report. 
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.