Back in the "Old Days" this guy................

bswivbswiv Posts: 7,314 Admiral
...........and a few of his little friends would have been STARS in amongst the whiting that will be coming out of the peanut oil here in a few minutes. Tough being old and able to remember to far back. 

Replies

• seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    :p
  • Drift TideDrift Tide Posts: 166 Deckhand
    At the risk of sounding dumb, what is that?
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,314 Admiral
    At the risk of sounding dumb, what is that?
    Lane.......small red snapper look much the same. Odd how it happens but kind of easy to catch a fair number of the little ones in a few spots this time of year. 
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,075 Officer
    Are the colors darker because of youth or quality/color of water caught? 

Before you hire Morrocco Madness,  Please understand he is a crazy Trump hating liberal.

Might be the light.......though maybe a little brighter because of being juvenile and inside with darker water. 
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,075 Officer

Only place I have got em is 90ft or deeper.    They look all pink with bright yellow smaller stripes.   Cool seeing them inshore!

Before you hire Morrocco Madness,  Please understand he is a crazy Trump hating liberal.

There are a couple of spots where quite a few could be caught with light equipment, along with some juvenile red snappers and seabsss. But to get the 8 inch minimum on them is much less common than the 10 for mangroves......though it does happen now and again.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,368 Admiral
    I catch them each year in my cast net, across from Blount Island.....while casting for shrimp....WELL, EXCEPT THIS YEAR .........But the ones I catch are only about two inches !!
  • redbone440redbone440 Posts: 103 Deckhand
    I've  caught a few of those little Lane Snapper and wonder if they would make good aquarium fish?  Of course with the minimum legal size being 8" I guess it wouldn't be so good to have "the man" catch me with one in the live well. :smiley: