Winter in Icw

Hoping I can get some advice on where the redfish/trout go when the water gets cold here. I mainly fish palm valley icw or st augustine and seem to struggle finding fish when it starts getting cold. I have read that as the sun warns the flats fish may move there to feed but I often fish in the am. Do they move into the channel when surface temps are as cold as today? Any advice is appreciated. 

Replies

• livebaitlivebait Posts: 644 Officer
    I look for creeks with deeper holes near oyster bars and fish slow, slow,slow. But winter will make anybody shake their head. There is not a lot of food for the fish and they do not move much. I get everything ready for spring as I don't like to fish the jetties.

• Tgreg1Tgreg1 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Thx so deeper meaning 6ft or deeper like 14ft?
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,146 Admiral
    Whiting close to the inlet. Not sexy but entertaining...............and the ones that will be coming out of the peanut oil here in a few will be as good as any trout ever thought about being!!

• jimmy06jimmy06 Posts: 1,186 Officer
    Plenty of reds to still be caught in all the creeks. You just need to put in time and find them. 

These reds were caught in a shallow creek off the icw in a foot or two of water.  Air temp was in the thirty’s earlying morning. 1/8 jig with gulp pink and white shrimp. 
  • artrecord224artrecord224 Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    jimmy06 said:
    Plenty of reds to still be caught in all the creeks. You just need to put in time and find them. 

These reds were caught in a shallow creek off the icw in a foot or two of water.  Air temp was in the thirty’s earlying morning. 1/8 jig with gulp pink and white shrimp. 

Good work jimmy.
    Nice thx good to know. 
  • big baitbig bait Posts: 385 Deckhand
    jimmy06 said:

Good work jimmy.
    WOW!! 
    Air temp was in the thirty’s
    I'm staying in bed.
    Good work
  • jaxnole23jaxnole23 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I was fishing in Palm Valley at the bridge by the boat ramp and was catching them right on the edge of the channel in probably 8 to 10 feet of water and just using dead shrimp.
    Yes they are stacked up there. Tough to fish if boat traffic is crazy.