Home Off Topic

This place is still here???

Replies

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    How ridiculous. A person can not be an ilk. Ilk is not singular. 
    I know, I thought it was hilarious when you said it.
  • zamogzamog Posts: 302 Deckhand
    If you think this forum is funny in its current pathetic state, you really should have seen it 10+ years ago.
    Well if I and folks like me left, what would be left? Just you and your ilk?
    Unconscionable. I have a moral duty to try to make the world a better place.
    yes sir, i remember mr richardson....was good times
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,446 AG
    Perhaps they are treating as the word "elk."

"Many elk, one elk.  That is an elk.  Those are elk."
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    edited February 2019 #35
    zamog said:
    If you think this forum is funny in its current pathetic state, you really should have seen it 10+ years ago.
    We'd push the envelope, Eric would warn us.
    We'd cross the line (in response to Eric), he'd ban us.
    He'd let us back eventually, it was all in good fun.  He understood the community and running this (at the time) band of nitwits. We gave him hell but he was excellent, not too heavy handed or righteous but certainly would hand out banned camp passes.

Then there were characters like H e b e, who in my estimation made up half the forum membership.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,928 Admiral
    It is what it is

Yes, the decline started almost exactly 10 years ago ;)
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,823 Admin
    zamog said:
    He'd let us back eventually, it was all in good fun.  He understood the community and running this (at the time) band of nitwits. We gave him hell but he was excellent, not too heavy handed or righteous but certainly would hand out banned camp passes.

Then there were characters like ****, who in my estimation made up half the forum membership.
    That was before the toxic political environment of today. I used to post "Today's economic news" in OT, and you wouldn't get the silly, angry arguments about who caused what and whether it was good or bad, depending on your political tribe.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    nuevowavo said:
    zamog said:

Then there were characters like ****, who in my estimation made up half the forum membership.
    That was before the toxic political environment of today. I used to post "Today's economic news" in OT, and you wouldn't get the silly, angry arguments about who caused what and whether it was good or bad, depending on your political tribe.
    Anyone that has been here going back to the beginning remembers that that is not true. When I first joined Bush v. Gore was in full swing with vociferous debate on both sides. Since then every political act of two presidents was debated, including wars and recession, and terrorist attacks.

It was only when some could no longer defend the indefensible that you took the ball home and banned politics.   
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    It was only when some could no longer defend the indefensible that you took the ball home and banned politics.   
    Since when can the indefensible not be defended? The left does it on the abortion subject all the time.
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,576 Moderator
    dave44 said:
    Show me where I said you were an "ilk"?

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited February 2019 #41
    GA Fin said:
    Since when can the indefensible not be defended? The left does it on the abortion subject all the time.
    Abortion is not only defensible, it's the law of the land.

Now you may not like it, and you may not like or agree with the defense, but that doesn't change the facts of the matter.

And as much as you'd like to make abortion a left versus right issue, on a forum where we would probably be wise not to enter into those types of discussions, it's really not -- there are plenty of liberals against abortion just like there are plenty of conservatives that are for it.

Respectfully...Mike
  • sjm1582002sjm1582002 Posts: 4,364 Captain
    It's beyond sad what has become of these formerly very active and entertaining forums.

What do we have now?

A handful of contributors that are nearly outnumbered by Nurse Ratched like "moderator" comments.

The sense of nostaglia that occasionally brings me back to check in on this forum is about worn out.
    dave44 said:
    Easy, go look at the sticky at the top of off topic.
    edited February 2019 #44
    Funny Tarp.
     One of our reps proposed abortion in the 4th trimester, and promptly proposed another bill to protect some caterpillars right after that.
      Our governor, a pediatrician he says, explained it best,” we will deliver the baby, make sure it’s comfortable, talk to the mother and make sure she wants to, then kill it.”
       They shot that down, in committee, but it shows how far some ilks are ready to go.

By the way, I am not against abortion, but people should make up their minds before it can live on its own.
    dave44 said:
    dave44 said:
      As it turns out it was a thread somewhere around the time of off topic rules. In that thread I made an extremely intellectual joke to you about it and you said I could say ilk as often as I wanted. Or something to that effect.
    dave44 said:
    dave44 said:
    dave44 said:
      As it turns out it was a thread somewhere around the time of off topic rules. In that thread I made an extremely intellectual joke to you about it and you said I could say ilk as often as I wanted. Or something to that effect.

And you can but that has nothing to do with you saying I called you an "ilk". 

I've got to laugh about "or something to that effect". 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

dave44 said:
    dave44 said:
    dave44 said:

To be specific, you said my ilk crying about the politics was the reason it was closed on the other thread. I made fun of you as is customary in those circumstances. 
      Funny you backpedal about that.
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,301 Captain
    Dilly dilly....
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
    dave44 said:
    dave44 said:
    dave44 said:
    dave44 said:

To be specific, you said my ilk crying about the politics was the reason it was closed on the other thread. I made fun of you as is customary in those circumstances. 
      Funny you backpedal about that.
    Hokey dokey.......:)

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited February 2019 #51
    Happy Saturday guys!  Today's extremely intellectual word of the day is ilk:

ilk

/ilk/

noun
    1. a type of people or things similar to those already referred to.
      "the veiled suggestions that reporters of his ilk seem to be so good at"
      synonyms:type, sort, class, category, group, set, bracket, genre, kidney, grain, species, race, strain, vintage, make, model, brand, stamp, variety, family
    I can’t believe somebody had to look up “ ilk “.
       I like to make fun of people that use the word, I also like to make fun of kids that have to look it up, and post it like they are some sort of savant.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,284 AG
    edited February 2019 #53
    dave44 said:
       I like to make fun of people that use the word, I also like to make fun of kids that have to look it up, and post it like they are some sort of savant.
    Someone of your ilk would do that.  :smile:

(first time I ever used the word, but it fits) 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,858 AG
    If ilk isn't singular, why is it nornalln predicated with the possessive word "your"?

Captain Todd Approves

cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    Someone of your ilk would do that.  :smile:

(first time I ever used the word, but it fits) 
    I like to use it like “Elk”. Elk seems less ridiculous somehow.
  • TheKernelTheKernel Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Came back to 39 new posts.. wow
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    GA Fin said:
    Abortion is not only defensible, it's the law of the land.

Now you may not like it, and you may not like or agree with the defense, but that doesn't change the facts of the matter.

And as much as you'd like to make abortion a left versus right issue, on a forum where we would probably be wise not to enter into those types of discussions, it's really not -- there are plenty of liberals against abortion just like there are plenty of conservatives that are for it.

Respectfully...Mike
    While "some" of that is true, your "ilk" has taken ridiculpous to an entirely different level. "Hold my beer, watch this!"

Post-natal abortion.  

:quintuple facepalm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lol. 
    Love it.
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,301 Captain
    While "some" of that is true, your "ilk" has taken ridiculpous to an entirely different level. "Hold my beer, watch this!"

Post-natal abortion.  

:quintuple facepalm.
    Fourth trimester.
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
    140-somethingth trimester
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG

You guys seriously misjudge me. I'm a pragmatist first and foremost.  I do staunchly oppose murder of perfectly born babies out of the womb. However, let's be real. 90% of these terminations are future progs. Maybe we should celebrate them during Thanksgiving Weekend? :grin:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]