Home General Fishing

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,232 Moderator
    Can you explain how the requirement of "Hailing out" ,  a VMS, and an electronic trip report  is going to cause more gulf closures.  Just more technical and bureaucracy BS for the charter and head boats, maybe forcing them out.  These requirements have been debated for years but I can's see them causing any closures

• Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,776 Captain
    Do those "position reports" become public records?

Would a "Sunshine Law" request reveal everyone's GPS numbers?

Soon, in the interest of "security, we'll all be wearing "transducer suppositories".

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 1,018 Officer
    Do those "position reports" become public records?

Would a "Sunshine Law" request reveal everyone's GPS numbers?

Soon, in the interest of "security, we'll all be wearing "transducer suppositories".

It's the feds, so Florida's sunshine laws wouldn't apply.  It's the exact same system as the commercial fleet has been required to use for several years, so if we haven't managed to dig up all of the commercial guys' numbers through information requests yet, the GPS locations should be under lockdown.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,668 Moderator
    IM oh so humble O, it'll be data used against us no matter what.  I think this fact has been established.  We have clamored for years for "better data.  Here's what WE get.  

Charter boats position will be logged, as will be catch.  

Here comes closed areas.  Find where fish were caught, then close those areas.  That's the whole objective SHUT IT DOWN.

So folks fish other areas..... and what... they become super productive.... SHUT THOSE down.

So funny.  

Now this is a stretch, but, it's not without merit... bear with me:  We shut down snappers (rabbit breeders, pretty, easy to catch, decent table fare) and made better fishermen out of EVERYBODY.  Suddenly there are some over fished stocks.  WEll no sheatt ercklock!   Most charter boats run slow with serviceable engines.  They catch, a sizeable portion of "recreational" share only because they are good at it.  So... shut them down, and what do they do... Run less often, run farther, run fasater….. 

This does what?  

If they play by the law, they report their catch that occurred OUTSIDED the closed areas.... then those areas are reported as overfished / needs protection.

Before you know it... there are no ares in gulf that can be charter fished.  

Rec only.

Until.....

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 962 Officer
    I have been talking about how closing one fish variety causes more pressure on other species for a while now. This is the outcome. Once the feds get in the act don't expect any good for the recreational anglers in particular the ones who can't afford their own offshore boats and depend on charters or headboats to get offshore.