Home Off Topic

100 days since The Big One...

Replies

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,444 AG
    My Hurricane deductible is double the normal. I would bet most of your policies are the same way. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,506 Admiral
    I'm sure of it......
    If I ever get another cat......I'm going to name it.... "five"
    Even though it's number 2 ....or 3.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,447 AG
    SAENole said:
    The "no deductible for a Cat 5" rumor is absolutely false.  
    Lol. WTH?  Where does this stuff originate?  

Oh yeah, places like this.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,913 AG
    Ya mean the interwebs?

Captain Todd Approves

• johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    I think the rating has more to do with federal funding (taxpayers money) for debris clean up and loans for rebuilding infrastructure and uninsured property. 
    This area has gone over 200 days with out federal funding. 
    Hurricane Katrina was 10 days and Sandy was 21 days.

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,693 Admiral
    Our city said the other day it might be 2 yrs before FEMA reinburses the city for clean up.  It was only cat 2 when it hit here.
    edited May 2019 #99
    There has been $1.4 billion allocated in federal dollars to help with Hurricane Micheal. 

https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2019/04/03/nearly-14-billion-hurricane-recovery-funds-approved-six-months-after-michael

What has not happened is congress has not approved any supplemental funding. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,506 Admiral
    I wonder how long it takes to get from "approved" to the pocket.....or bank account.
    The longer it takes, the more people give up and move on. The lawyers will wind up with most of it.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    One article said a billion had been spent. Not sure if that meant to the pocket or not though. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,693 Admiral
    When we were in the tornado 2 yrs ago it only took about 2 weeks total we had the money in our account.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,113 Admiral
    YUP , If the Feds wait long enough them Folks that are saying ..I'm going to Rebuilt and make everything like new , Honey were gonna get a new bigger House will start moving away.
    We're moving to Grandmas House in Georgia till the Funding gets here will never come back..
    That area will be rebuilt to current Code by Folks with a good amount of money from other States.
    Cheapest Waterfront Property you'll find right now.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Insurance companies are doing the same. I was told by my company (Progressive) that they will not pay full price for my roof. They will not pay for a Miami-Dade code shingles. Even though Florida law says different. 
     They also told me that they will not pay for my damaged storm windows. 
     I see a lawyer next week. 
     Progressive is the worst insurance company according to several law firms I have talked too. 
     It seems the ones that advertise a lot are the worst. 
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,320 Captain
    Seems like anytime you feel with insurance companies you have to use a lawyer or public adjuster. Good luck.
    Sorry folks, just not enough of a story.  Not enough displaced minorities, not enough $$$ in infrastructure (compared to N.O. or Miami back in Andrew, or Sandy up north).
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,261 Admiral
    Sorry folks, just not enough of a story.  Not enough displaced minorities, not enough $$$ in infrastructure (compared to N.O. or Miami back in Andrew, or Sandy up north).
    How many people affected compared to N.O. or Miami?
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,268 AG
    It's a demographic and political issue.

Nothing more.  Nothing less.  
    Warning Level 2
    SAENole said:
    It's a demographic and political issue.

Nothing more.  Nothing less.  
    Half the people affected as N.O. and no where as much damage with over "700 bodies recovered in New Orleans by October 23, 2005"
    How many deaths in all of Fl. less than 30?

"The latest update in Florida adds four deaths from the hardest-hit coastal Bay County, bringing the total there to 19. Gulf County had 3 deaths, Gadsden and Jackson counties each had two deaths, and Clay, Liberty and Calhoun counties each had one death."

People in northwest Florida tend to heed the warnings unlike those in the cesspool known as New Orleans.

Michael hit as a category 5.  Katrina hit as a 3.

Michael had higher sustained winds and lower pressure than Katrina, but Katrina affected a certain population that depends on the government for every facet of life.  
    Warning Level 2
    edited May 2019 #111
    SAENole said:
    People in northwest Florida tend to heed the warnings unlike those in the cesspool known as New Orleans.

Michael hit as a category 5.  Katrina hit as a 3.

Michael had higher sustained winds and lower pressure than Katrina, but Katrina affected a certain population that depends on the government for every facet of life.  
    On the morning of October 11 th as soon as the sun started coming up all you heard were chainsaws cranking up and people cleaning up as best we could. Checking on neighbors and trying to get roofs covered because we all knew the good weather was not going to last. 
      Bottom line is there were no able bodied people standing around demanding that the “authorities” do everything for them. And waiting for help. 
     Washington DC has no use for self sufficient citizens. 
    The other thing you heard 24/7 were emergency vehicles and their sirens blaring non-stop.  And the helicopters......I've never seen so many in my life.

There was a Coast Guard Jayhawk that cruised over my neighborhood for days looking for dead people in the bay and the canals.  It was a rather sobering sight. 
    Warning Level 2
    What NW FL needed, and didn't have, was Mayor Nagin.
    Where is Brownie when you need him
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG

Wut
    edited May 2019 #117
    SAENole said:
    The other thing you heard 24/7 were emergency vehicles and their sirens blaring non-stop.  And the helicopters......I've never seen so many in my life.

There was a Coast Guard Jayhawk that cruised over my neighborhood for days looking for dead people in the bay and the canals.  It was a rather sobering sight. 
    The day after the storm a city cop walked up and asked if we needed any help and had any trouble. We said we had run off a looter earlier and he could see my AR leaning against the house. He said “do what you need to do”. And left. 
     Never had any more trouble in our hood. 
     You try, never seen so many helo’s flying around. Was hoping they would have airdropped some gas and chain lube!!! :)
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,301 Captain
    Another fail. You're consistent.
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,320 Captain
    Floridians aren't so stupid as to build a town below sea level. This is probably why so many deaths in New Orleans.
     And my sympathy and my hat goes off to all you guys that are still on the mend from last year.
    edited May 2019 #120
    Here's some good footage from Massalina Bayou where I keep my boat (although it was on the trailer at my house during the storm).  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=kYA28aUT3wQ&app=desktop

Warning Level 2
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,466 Admiral
    edited May 2019 #121
    My vacation rental is 300ft from the beach in Ormond By The Sea. There is no buildings in front of me and I have the only two story. It is a gonner if any major wind. Already lost the roof, porch, fencees and many other things now in three short years. I have no insurance and cant sell it fast enough.

Every one says play the odds,  yet two hurricanes cost me a fortune.

Yes.in a hundred years they are safe till i moved in. Lol