Home Off Topic

100 days since The Big One...

Replies

• SawbonesSawbones Panama CityPosts: 10 Greenhorn
    The parking deck video was taken from First Baptist Church in PC.  We held services there for there for weeks after the storm until the sanctuary dried out.  The acoustics were incredible, kind of miss it in a way.
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    SAENole said:
    Here's a short 10 second video from my back door during the height of the great tempest.

Panama City Beach? How far were you from the actual Gulf? That is some scary stuff.  
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,395 AG
    My house is in Lynn Haven which is just on the north side of Panama City.  As the crow flies I'm a little less than 7 miles to the Gulf but right next to North Bay.   
    Warning Level 2
  • SawbonesSawbones Panama CityPosts: 10 Greenhorn
    SAENole, we're in Lynn Haven as well. It looks to me like we may have been third in line as far as wind damage goes, following MB and Callaway.  I guess when the NW quadrant of the storm hit North Bay there was nothing to slow it down. I remember hearing a sound that day above the wind during the worst of the storm that sounded like a locomotive.  I think it was the sound of thousands of pine trees being snapped in two.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,958 Admiral
    Thats the way a tornado does.  It snapped a 42" pinetree like nothing.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,347 Admiral
    Tornatic activity is what causes the most damage in a Hurricane.
    I lost half of maybe 20 Shingles. My Neighbor 2 streets away lost everyone on his roof..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Tornatic activity is what causes the most damage in a Hurricane.
    I lost half of maybe 20 Shingles. My Neighbor 2 streets away lost everyone on his roof..
    Not necessarily. It can depend on what might be blocking that wind. Or just basic construction. 
     My roof lost half the shingles on the north side of my house, next door lost only a couple where objects struck it. His roof was about one year old, mine was 12. Luckily I had little water damage since the felt was double layered and stayed together. 
     Then again the house on my right had a 4.5 foot diameter oak tree split it in half. 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    When the wind blows 100+  mph for several hours straight, anything can happen.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    WHAT DIFFERENCE, AT THIS POINT, DOES IT MAKE???
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 13,306 AG
    Congratulations Michael!

Rest in Peace Captain Todd

• tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    If you're not getting the joke even with the visual aid I can't help you.
    tankard said:
    If you're not getting the joke even with the visual aid I can't help you.
    Sorry I didn't realize you were looking in mirror.  CARRY ON!!
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,440 Captain
    I believe it has ALOT to do regarding insurance
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,717 Admiral
    If it's not funny....is it still a joke?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,415 Captain
    tankard said:
    If you went through it you knew it was a 5 and it pisses you off when someone down plays what you saw. Does it change anything? No, but at least the powers that categorize these things admit they were wrong.
    hatcity said:
    In what way, I am curious?  I mean, to me I would think damage is damage be it a cat 5 or a cat 1.

edited April 2019 #79
    mplspug said:
    hatcity said:
    In what way, I am curious?  I mean, to me I would think damage is damage be it a cat 5 or a cat 1.
    Probably the coastal building codes. 
    I have heard that the insurance companies will want the same codes that south Florida/ Keys have applied here. The codes up here have been a joke for decades. And it showed.  
    mplspug said:
    hatcity said:
    Maybe you didn't know this but....insurance companies get to keep what ever they don't have to pay....in claims.
    They can take that money buy themselves stuff, cool, fun stuff, that they can have fun with.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    mplspug said:
    hatcity said:
    Maybe you didn't know this but....insurance companies get to keep what ever they don't have to pay....in claims.
    They can take that money buy themselves stuff, cool, fun stuff, that they can have fun with.
    So my house gets destroyed in a cat 4 hurricane and they won't pay the claim because it wasn't a cat 5.  Always helpful you are.

mplspug said:
    hatcity said:
    Probably the coastal building codes. 
    I have heard that the insurance companies will want the same codes that south Florida/ Keys have applied here. The codes up here have been a joke for decades. And it showed.  
    I could see that, but we are talking the difference between a cat 4 and cat 5. 

mplspug said:
    mplspug said:
    hatcity said:
    So my house gets destroyed in a cat 4 hurricane and they won't pay the claim because it wasn't a cat 5.  Always helpful you are.
    Just like a good neighbor

That's punny

• Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,195 Captain
    Gary S said:
    tankard said:
    If you went through it you knew it was a 5 
    Really? So you can tell the difference between a 155mph wind and a 158mph wind by the damage afterward? Yea....ok. (I miss the eye roll emoji)
    edited April 2019 #86
    Actually it was higher than158 mph. But since most anemometers were destroyed they rounded it off I guess. 
     A sustained wind speed of 170 was recorded on Tyndall AFB before that meter was destroyed. 
     And if you could see the damage there it was pretty obvious. 
    I've got a customer who took his fancy multi-deck cruising yacht way up into Watson Bayou to get out of the wind.  He stayed on the boat during the storm and measured a wind gust of 177mph.  
    Warning Level 2
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,727 AG
    I was told that you don't have to pay your deductible with a cat 5. you do with cat 1-4.  Is this true??
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    I find it hard to believe a Insurance Co would hedge their bets by offering that...unless its a gov reg.

• hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,440 Captain
    micci_man said:
    I was told that you don't have to pay your deductible with a cat 5. you do with cat 1-4.  Is this true??
    this is about the only time we would like to hear from MrJR
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
    The "no deductible for a Cat 5" rumor is absolutely false.  
    Warning Level 2