Home Off Topic

100 days since The Big One...

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,576 Moderator

They need housing, tourists, jobs, money, restaurants, motels, debris cleaned up, infrastructure repaired, mostly things we can't do anything about. Food, water, things of that nature are mostly in supply now. I've heard clothing is desirable.

Good to hear from you SAE.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Man, it’s just terrible. Glad your ok sae. There was a thread a while back asking about you. Hope y’all get back to normal sooner than later. Thanks for the tips ss 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain

They need housing, tourists, jobs, money, restaurants, motels, debris cleaned up, infrastructure repaired, mostly things we can't do anything about. Food, water, things of that nature are mostly in supply now. I've heard clothing is desirable.

Good to hear from you SAE.

You pretty much nailed it. 
    Unless you have some equipment to remove debris like timber, demolished buildings that would be welcomed and profitable. 

• DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,872 Captain
    fins4me said:
    Are there things that can still be sent down there that are needed and can be distributed? 
    This.... ?
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    I can't even imagine what you and those poor people up there have gone through, I definitely count my blessings each time a hurricane passes by and we manage to dodge another bullet. Glad you are okay and hopefully life will return to normal soon. One thing is for sure, that area will never be the same, the old stuff is gone forever, look forward to high rises replacing the quaint homes that used to be there. It happened here too many years ago in Indian Rocks Beach.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,646 Admiral
    PCB isn't the same anymore.  It seems everything has changed since I was young.
    stc1993 said:
    PCB isn't the same anymore.  It seems everything has changed since I was young.
    PCB is nothing more than a concrete canyon now. 
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    PCBs really got GE in trouble too.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,252 AG
    I've run that scenario in my head over and over again............would I do it again or what will I do next time?

I've got a property/casualty insurance agency to run so I really can't leave.  Have to be here for customers when they have claims to report.  (I remember evacuating in 1985 because of Hurricane Kate.  It took us 6 hours to get from Panama City to Tallahassee then the weather ended up worse over there.  "Never again", I thought.)   

No one expected the complete lack of communication after Michael.  Landlines and cell phones were useless.......unless you were one of the few that had AT&T......typically considered the worst servicing carrier in this part of the world.  AT&T worked most of the time.......not very well, but at least you could get an occasional call in or out and texting was not nearly as spotty.  Those little Cricket phones became worth their weight in gold.  Thankfully I had someone in Pensacola pick up several and bring them over for me to distribute. 

I'm glad I stayed at home in the sense that damage to my house would've been a lot worse if I hadn't been there.  The window in my daughter's bedroom blew in and I was able to get that situated which mitigated the damage.  Same goes for another bedroom where water was blowing in through the window and the dining room where water started pouring through the light fixture.  The ceiling in the dining room caved in later that night and made a tremendous sound. 

The thing that amazes me most is the sheer raw power of that storm.  I've never seen anything like it and probably (thankfully) never will again.     
    Warning Level 2
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,462 Moderator
    edited January 2019 #41
    Drove to Mobile last month to pick up a used bed for my truck. Although I stayed on I-10 the whole way (forgot just how painful that drive is), it was quite eye opening. Miles and miles of pines snapped in half like toothpicks. Could tell which side of the eye wall hit based on the direction the trees were laying.

Glad to hear you're okay
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
    The parking garage footage that starts at 2:11 was taken about 15 yards from my office chair where I'm typing this right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6zGEMMMjws   
    Warning Level 2
    I agree. I thought about leaving around 0930. But then it was a little late since they were deciding to close the bridges. 
     I live near Beck ave. I am glad I stayed on one hand and think it was stupid on the other. Especially when the barometer was reading 920mb and it was a total whiteout!
     But I could mitigate some of the damage in the hours after the storm and myself and a neighbor prevented some looting since most of the homes on our street were evacuated. 
     I just read where there has been 11.5 million cubic yards of debris as of last week! 
     Still a lot more to go. 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,646 Admiral
    We took a direct hit from a ef3 tornado.  Yesterday made 2 yrs ago.

I believe a hurricane like that is worse because they last so long.  The tornado only lasted 2-3 minutes it was moving 60 mph.  It was still scary as the devil.
  • Whoever took that video has a serious death wish.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,295 Captain
    Glad you guys are OK. Your town will survive but it will be years before everything is normal again. A storm like that has a way of bringing friends and neighbors together, even if it's only temporary.
     My wife has a photo album of andrew I still can't look at.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,858 AG
    I missed you.  Please post a meme.

Captain Todd Approves

Warning Level 2

Warning Level 2

Warning Level 2
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,759 AG
    Finally!
       I like the one showing the transitions.
    dave44 said:
    Finally!
       I like the one showing the transitions.

Same here.  Clever work!
    Warning Level 2

Warning Level 2
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
     :D 
    still the king 
    You should have been here yesterday
    Here's a short 10 second video from my back door during the height of the great tempest.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4tpxhjz6dda3or/20181010_130130.mp4?dl=0

Warning Level 2
    This is video from two of my buddies who were at my house during the hurricane.  They were leaving my place after the worst of the storm and trying to get back to their houses at the other end of our road (same street that I live on).  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bwwq3elmpwhcop/20181010_163502.mp4?dl=0

Warning Level 2
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    edited February 2019 #59
    Good to see you back. 

How's the house? Boat?

These are from yesterday at Mex Bch.
    The canal is mostly cleared except the mouth. 

House is still a wreck but the new roof is supposed to go on next week so then I can start making the interior repairs.

Boat was on the trailer in my driveway during the storm and got peppered pretty hard on the starboard side.  From the motor up to the radar dome it looks like it got sandblasted.  Maybe it'll buff out.  
    Warning Level 2
    edited February 2019 #61
    SAENole said:
    House is still a wreck but the new roof is supposed to go on next week so then I can start making the interior repairs.

Boat was on the trailer in my driveway during the storm and got peppered pretty hard on the starboard side.  From the motor up to the radar dome it looks like it got sandblasted.  Maybe it'll buff out.  
    Same thing happened to my boat. Around 4am i. Closed all the seacocks and plugged up the bilge, chained the trailer wheels together and let her ride it out. A big piece of a church roof missed it by a couple of feet and destroyed the privacy fence next to it. Got lucky.