Home Off Topic

100 days since The Big One...

SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,252 AG
Hurricane Michael struck 100 days ago.  I honestly don't think life will ever be the same.

I could write a book about the experience but would have great difficulty trying to figure out where to start.  I'm thankful and lucky that no friends or family were injured.  Most of our properties will get repaired over time.  Some will never be rebuilt.  

We got phones, fax, internet, and wifi back at our office around 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon.  Had to fire Comcast as they simply wouldn't come out to hook us back up after being their customer for well over 20 years.  To put it lightly, Comcast and Verizon were both big disappointments. 

Law enforcement agencies throughout Florida were here within hours of landfall and did a great job in controlling the chaos and hysteria that follow such an event. 

Along with the good comes the bad, and the scam artists and unlicensed contractors descended upon us as well.  I don't think the bodies were even cold before the public adjusters and ambulance chasers started railing on insurance companies.  I've heard several people refer to them as "carpetbaggers".  I've used stronger language. 

The last few months are a blur.  Hope I haven't missed much.

A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! 

Warning Level 2

Replies

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,658 AG
    Glad your Ok
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    The thought of that makes me cringe.  Glad to hear you are up and running again.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,252 AG
    This Family Dollar store is a couple of blocks away from my office.  I drove by on the 11th and watched a dozen or more looters help themselves to everything inside.  Came back the next day and they were still hitting it pretty hard.  Later that same day I watched a PCPD officer pull up and park next to the entrance.  The looters weren't bothered by his presence at all and continued coming and going as they pleased.  I guess there wasn't much he could do at that point.

Warning Level 2
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,940 Captain
    Good to hear from you SAENole! You were missed.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    welcome back !!!!
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
    glad youre back and alive 
  • MadbeachMadbeach On the riverPosts: 970 Officer

"Along with the good comes the bad, and the scam artists and unlicensed contractors descended upon us as well.  I don't think the bodies were even cold before the public adjusters and ambulance chasers started railing on insurance companies.  I've heard several people refer to them as "carpetbaggers".  I've used stronger language."

And don't forget insurance fraud. A shingle missing and all the sudden it's a total loss.  Quick $$ for some people.   

• Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,928 Admiral
    I lived in South Miami when Andrew hit. It took a good year or two for all the debris to be removed, and blue tarp roofs to get fixed. Took even longer for wooded areas to look normal again. The biggest aggravation was all the sketchy "tree cutters" everywhere including totally over running my favorite local sports bars and dive bars. My favorite place, Hooligans was never the same after that. Also, I had started a remodel at my house before the storm, and it took over a year to finish, as finding contractors was almost impossible. Hang in there.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    SAENole said:
    Hurricane Michael struck 100 days ago.  I honestly don't think life will ever be the same.

I could write a book about the experience but would have great difficulty trying to figure out where to start.  I'm thankful and lucky that no friends or family were injured.  Most of our properties will get repaired over time.  Some will never be rebuilt.  

We got phones, fax, internet, and wifi back at our office around 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon.  Had to fire Comcast as they simply wouldn't come out to hook us back up after being their customer for well over 20 years.  To put it lightly, Comcast and Verizon were both big disappointments. 

Law enforcement agencies throughout Florida were here within hours of landfall and did a great job in controlling the chaos and hysteria that follow such an event. 

Along with the good comes the bad, and the scam artists and unlicensed contractors descended upon us as well.  I don't think the bodies were even cold before the public adjusters and ambulance chasers started railing on insurance companies.  I've heard several people refer to them as "carpetbaggers".  I've used stronger language. 

The last few months are a blur.  Hope I haven't missed much.

A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! 

I don’t know what is going on with this page but.
     Well said SAEnole. 
     The sound of chainsaws is just starting to die down around here except a lot of still standing trees will need to come down soon. 
     Was that the family dollar on 15th street?
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,928 Admiral
    Family Dollar was probably paid insurance for all that merchandise, and was going to have heavy equipment load it all in dumpsters. Might as well let the locals help with the "clean up"
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
    A lot of the looting was homes. A number of shots fired in the following days until most figured out that Bay and Gulf counties are armed to the teeth. 
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,252 AG
    That's the FD downtown on 6th Street.  
    Warning Level 2
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,685 AG

Glad you and yours are ok. It will take time but you will overcome this. Easier said than done I know.

I saw many pictures of hard hit places but it was when and only when I laid eyes on places in person it really sunk in. I spent many days and chains running a saw in peoples yard that I didn't even know and did it only for the satisfaction of knowing that I was able to help and did. hang in there man.

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,085 Admiral
    It ain't over yet..
    A lot of them still standing Pines will die from Pine Bark Beetles in about 3 or 4 months.
    I've got 36 new dead ones in my yard from last years hurricane that hit Naples / 10 Thousand Islands. 
    Have to watch where I park my trucks and boat. Them tree tops still weight a bunch , and their coming down slowly.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,408 Captain
    Glad to see you back
    good to hear you and friends were not injured

recovery, structural and mental will take lots of time
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,953 Admiral
    Nice to see you back and posting.  :)
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,767 AG
    Sorry to hear about your area, but glad you are back. Hope things get ironed out down there.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    It's been hellish to say the least. Loosing my home and business I still know that others have it much worse. There are good days and bad ones which the bad ones takes a toll on ones mental well being. Glad to hear you've made it out and that we didn't loose any immediate friends or neighbors.
    I did see that same scene at FD. It was very surreal for sure!
    This is going to be a long road ahead of us!  
    Best of luck!
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,496 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #21
    Not long ago I was wondering what became of you.....
    Glad to see you are still among the strong and surviving.

Since I may be next.....
    I would be more than interested in your opinion, in how to prepare and what items become the most useful after the storm has passed.
    What did you do to prepare and.....
    What would you have done differently.

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,048 Moderator
    Glad you are back.  I went thru Andrew in Homestead.  It took several years before that community was back to somewhat normal.  We were without phones for 2 months and electricity for 3.5 months.  A couple of neighbors never did rebuild and apparently they will never rebuild after 27 years. Their houses are still in shambles 
    Not long ago I was wondering what became f you.....
    Glad to see you are still among the strong and surviving.

Since I may be next.....
    I would be more than interested in your opinion, in how to prepare and what items become the most useful after the storm has passed.
    What did you do to prepare and.....
    What would you have done differently.

May I interject?

NEXT time?

I'd have several small tarps to cover things up in your house like your files, computers, TV's and furniture. Then some large HVY duty tarps like 20x40 the blue stuff sux for outdoors! I found out those small light switch stick on's were pretty cool as for some solar lights. Lots of batteries of most sizes to run lanterns flashlights etc. Generators running all the time gets old but during the day may be a necessity if you run a R2D2 type AC because it gets smoldering hot after a hurricane. Now mind you people well off are not concerned much of these needs being they have their in house generators. Which is cool but not when the house has been totally compromised. Things can still catch on fire.
    Plenty of gas cans filled are nice even for you vehicles.
    WATER is a must! Fill what every tub or space you have. You may need it to flush the toilets.  Of course your non perishable foods and gas stove.
    ICE yes packed the freezers full.
    What I would do different?

GTF OUT!

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,750 AG
    hit the nail on the head with that..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I forgot to mention a 12 volt inverter! It was a big deal charging cellphones off a 12 volt battery. They are cheap and should be in your ditch bag! 
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Glad to know you're a survivor! It seems we get busy with life and forget those in the storms aftermath. Same thing happens in every H-cane hit... Wishing you and the area much better times ahead!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,665 Admiral
    I forgot to mention a 12 volt inverter! It was a big deal charging cellphones off a 12 volt battery. They are cheap and should be in your ditch bag! 
    I would add cash money.  No electricity credit & debit cards are no good.  Banks are closed.  The few stores that open are cash only.
    stc1993 said:
    I would add cash money.  No electricity credit & debit cards are no good.  Banks are closed.  The few stores that open are cash only.
    Cash is King. 
    And if your in a area with lots of large trees, a top end chainsaw with no less than a 18” bar and tools to remove timber. Spent two days cutting our way out of the neighborhood. 
    Yep I forget how many people rely on cards.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,823 Admin
    edited January 2019 #30
    Welcome back, SAE. Great to hear you're OK.
    Hope you and yours have a happy, healthy and prosperous 2019.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Are there things that can still be sent down there that are needed and can be distributed? 
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"