Home Off Topic

Anyone know the Real Deal regarding Florida Medical Marijuana use?

Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral

Anyone know the Real Deal regarding Florida Medical Marijuana use?

I tried Google, but can't find anything definite or current.

Suppose a person goes to one of these new dispensaries, and gets their state-approved ID medial card.  Now what?

Are they allowed to have regular marijuana, or just the low-THC kind?  Does it have to be prescribed by a doctor, and kept in the original container, or can they have generic pot it in an unlabeled baggie?  Is smoking allowed, or just edibles, extracts, and vaping?  Where can they smoke (or not smoke)?  In public - walking down the street?  In their car (as a passenger)?  Smoking area of a bar?  Are they allowed to have used paraphernalia, like a bong, on their person or in their vehicle?

How much does it cost at the dispensary?  Similar price to recreational shop in Colorado, for instance?

Asking for a friend.

23895.gif

Replies

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,926 AG
    I don't think smoking is allowed...yet.  I believe the new Gov is working on it.

Captain Todd Approves

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,456 AG
    i know you have to have a doctors prescription to get the card. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,693 Admiral
    The only thing i remember reading is you have to give up your guns if you get a license.

Don't know if it's true.
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,655 Admiral
    Fish, I sent you a PM
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,618 Admiral
    It's a lot cheaper to buy it on the black market.  So I was told.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,540 Captain
    King_Me said:
    It's a lot cheaper to buy it on the black market.  So I was told.
    Yes. This is why the argument that legalizing drugs would end or lessen the illegal drug trade always was a BS argument. In places where pot is legal, its being taxed and regulated to the point that the illegal stuff is massively cheaper. 

In Florida, medical marijuana is not the kind that can be smoked. 

You’re also still violating Federal law when you use state-sanctioned medical marijuana. The Feds don’t enforce it in places where its legal. But they could if they wanted to. You have to trust in the Fed’s good graces if you want to smoke pot in a legal state. 
    Well if the gov didn't tax the hell out of it it would be cheaper than the black market.

Captain Todd Approves

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,152 Captain
    I have a couple family members that use it. You cannot smoke it (that will change shortly), and you cannot use edibles, as of now. Both relatives use it for pain relief. Both caused by far different things. They both say it works for mild or intermediate pain, but for the acute stuff, they still have to fall back on opioids. Neither has experienced any problems with the MJ. Or the stronger stuff, as far as that goes. Neither are interested in smoking it. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,116 Admiral
    You cannot have a CCW Permit if your on MJ legally.
    My Nephew lives in Colorado and tells me MJ is almost worthless cause everybody can grow it...and they are.
    The MJ shops have to specialize in Killer buds or Medical Cookies , Gummy's , Oils ect.
    Your neighbor has an oz. or 2 just sitting on his table in case somebody stops by....It's Free..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,323 Captain
    pottydoc said:
    I have a couple family members that use it. You cannot smoke it (that will change shortly), and you cannot use edibles, as of now.

What'd left?
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,263 Admiral
    Last year, attorney John Morgan sued the state of Florida, arguing that banning the smoking of dried cannabis flower for medical purposes is unconstitutional. A judge ruled in his favor to allow for flower sales in Florida. Directly afterward, then-Governor Rick Scott filed an appeal, which prevented flower sales from moving forward until the appeal was resolved in court.

However, the new governor, Ron DeSantis, who took control on January 8, is expected to announce this afternoon that his administration has decided to drop his predecessor's appeal, which will allow for medical marijuana flower sales by licensed dispensaries in Florida.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarabrittanysomerset/2019/01/17/florida-to-announce-legalization-of-medical-marijuana-flower/#7f7ccbcc66a2
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,928 Admiral
    In Florida you have to go to a Dr. that has a special license to write Marijuana prescriptions, register with them, wait 90 days, then get your card. Dispensaries are regulated by state and counties and cities, and are hard to open one, or find, at least around me. Trulieve is a big chain. They also will ship it. They sell oil in pens and droppers. At least that's what "friends" tell me.

Seems like almost everybody I know has a pen now, legal or street bought, smokes them just about anywhere, and nobody seems to even notice. They don't even usually smell like weed.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,928 Admiral
    I just looked up Trulieves website. They have a lot more than just droplets and vapes. They have truflower vaporizer cups, TruShatter (wax), syringes, nasal spray, lotions, capsules, creams, and even sunscreen. LOL!

Hard to keep up!
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,540 Captain
    Ah yes, John Morgan... only an attorney of his ilk could make millions against the tobacco industry on one hand and fight to establish the cannabis industry on the other. 

Make no mistake, Big Cannabis is just as much an evil empire as Big Oil, Big Tech, and Big Tobacco. If you don’t realize it or don’t care, you’re just as big of a sucker as anyone else who’s been taken in by whatever marketing campaign. 

Big Oil , Big Tobacco , Big Tech...I have to buy.
    Big Weed I can grow for free...
  • Cane Pole said:
    In Florida you have to go to a Dr. that has a special license to write Marijuana prescriptions, register with them, wait 90 days, then get your card. Dispensaries are regulated by state and counties and cities, and are hard to open one, or find, at least around me. Trulieve is a big chain. They also will ship it. They sell oil in pens and droppers. At least that's what "friends" tell me.

Seems like almost everybody I know has a pen now, legal or street bought, smokes them just about anywhere, and nobody seems to even notice. They don't even usually smell like weed.
    Took my wife two weeks to get her e mail to be able to go buy.
    Her hard copy card came in the mail the next week.
    A couple of times when she has been asked for her Drivers license she's pulled that out by mistake. :)
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    Gary S said:
    pottydoc said:
    I have a couple family members that use it. You cannot smoke it (that will change shortly), and you cannot use edibles, as of now.

What'd left?
    If it's like GA only the CBD oil is legal.  It's made from the weed that don't make you high.  But it helps with seizures.
    My Colorado Nephew tells me lot's of Farmers are now growing fields of Hemp week. Said 10$  to 14$ K an acre.
    Cat's out of the bag now boys.....
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,323 Captain

If it's like GA only the CBD oil is legal.  It's made from the weed that don't make you high.  But it helps with seizures.
    What do you do with the oil?  
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,152 Captain
    Gary S said:

You put drops of it under your younger. Works for pain as well as seizures 
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    What is sold at the dispensaries is more expensive than what you get from the guy in the corner. 
    You should have been here yesterday
    That's true from what I saw on tv.  In CO it was $160 legal $100 BM.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,823 Admin
    stc1993 said:
    The only thing i remember reading is you have to give up your guns if you get a license.

Don't know if it's true.
    I don't think you have to give up your guns, but you can't buy any, since the Feds won't approve a purchase if you admit to using illegal drugs when you file a Transaction Record, even if the state allows you to legally use. You don't have to give up your existing CCP.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • HOME DEPOT GEORGEHOME DEPOT GEORGE Posts: 661 Officer
    There is no valid reason to have smokable  weed as the other forms work just as good. The people who want it just want to be able to purchase it legal. The whole thing is a crock of crap in California you can get a card for a  **** ingrown hair. anyone who says they need smokable over whats available doesn;t need it at all. As for the CCW you CAN NOT CARRY.If you are in possesion of a gun and weed you are breaking the law because if you posses a gun that means you lied on the backround ckeck same goes for a CCW. Also at home depot we will not hire anyone who tests 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,456 AG
    There is no Florida law that prohibits a person using legal medical marijuana from owning a firearm or having a CCW. There are federal laws against it as there is federal laws against the use of marijuana. You also won't be able to purchase a gun under current federal law either. 

Federal law also prohibits the ownership of guns if you use illegal drugs, so you are violating the law there. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    Way over rated, not worth the money.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    Pain killer - LOL!!!
    23895.gif
    Make no mistake, Big Cannabis is just as much an evil empire as Big Oil, Big Tech, and Big Tobacco. If you don’t realize it or don’t care, you’re just as big of a sucker as anyone else who’s been taken in by whatever marketing campaign. 

You forgot to tell us to stay off your lawn.

Captain Todd Approves

edited January 2019 #31
    pottydoc said:
    Gary S said:

You put drops of it under your younger. Works for pain as well as seizures 
    Is that near the taint?

The wife uses CBD oil and you put it under your tongue, for those who didn't figure that out.  It helps with many ailments such as anxiety and stress caused by your husband.

Captain Todd Approves