Home Off Topic

Dog modification...

tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

You know, cropping ears, cutting tails etc?

What is your take on it? I am not a fan at all. If you want a dog with pointy ears or a short tail there are plenty of breeds to choose from.

I ask because a friend of mine, who has kind of gone "urban" in defiance of her upper-middle class upbringing (dad just retired as Dean of the College of Journalism at UF, I know, :eye roll:) has a little pit puppy (of course) and she proudly posted pics of the thing with its ears basically cut off. It looks stupid as hell, and can't be good for the dog.

Whatchall think?

Replies

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,344 AG
    I am against it. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
    against it. Even though Bella has her dew claws removed, breeder did it, still I wouldnt have. 
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,040 AG
    Against it.

Dogs communicate with each other by signaling with their tail.  Cropping the tail is like rendering your dog speechless.

Ear cropping.  Only if you want your dog to have infections from dirty ears. 

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,344 AG
    Actually, I think ear cropping would reduce ear infections. The only dogs I ever had with ear infections had floppy ears that held int he moisture allowing bacteria to grow. The ears would likely get dirtier, just not likely to increase ear infections. 

but I am still against it. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Proper ear care would include regular rinsing with a product that's available in any pet store. 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,874 AG
    Against it, especially since I don't think they medicate them when they do it.  Want pointy ears, get a pointy ear breed.  

Then again I am against all cosmetic surgery.  

Captain Todd Approves

I should say most.  Some people have things that need correcting to make them more "normal".  

Captain Todd Approves

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,440 Admiral
    Back in the 70's several of my friends had pit bull's with the cut ears and tails. It seemed like the thing to do back then., but agree with others. I wouldn't do it today..  
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral

Who cares if you are for it or against it?  This is America, land of the free!  Dogs are animals - they don't have civil rights (or even souls, I am told).  I should be able to do whatever I want to my dog - I own it! 

I'm shocked that a Libertarian like Tankard would take a stance to interfere in other people's business when it isn't affecting him.  Next dog I get - I am getting him circumcised instead of castrated.  Then, I'm going to have his hair removed permanently and tat him up.  Put a hog ring in his nose.  I bet that would work better than a choker collar.

Besides - there is a purpose to cropping ears - better for fighting.

23895.gif
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,666 Admiral
    Did you see the new law in CA?  They gave pets the same rights as kids in a divorce.

Who said animals don't have rights.
    edited January 2019 #12

Captain Todd Approves

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,111 Captain
    Ears? No never had them done to any dog, but can see the reason for some, Dew claws? Yes every time.
    Had Boxers for the last 10+ years, Do you have any idea how much stuff would have been destroyed in my house if they had tails? So, no problem with the tail docking either.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #14
    I don't like cropping of ears but in some hunting breeds cropping the tail is actually beneficial to the dog's health. This is the case with many terriers who are used to retrieve/flush game who have gone to ground. I had a wire haired terrier who had an uncropped tail and it bleed nearly all the time from his wagging it, hitting walls etc and bursting the tip open. Dr advised cropping but he was grown when I got him and couldn't bring myself to have it down. I have seen Jack Russell terriers get their tails cropped shortly after birth and they do not seem to feel it or be aware.
    Deo Vindice
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,750 AG
    dew claws yes, nuts maybe.. tails and ears no
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,822 Captain
    Fish Haid said:

Who cares if you are for it or against it?  This is America, land of the free!  Dogs are animals - they don't have civil rights (or even souls, I am told).  I should be able to do whatever I want to my dog - I own it! 

No rights huh? Try tying "spot's " leash to the rear bumper of your truck and just idle slowly around the block to take him for a nice morning walk. I think you'll find out quick that in some ways, he's got more "rights" than you. :p
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,953 Admiral
    Against it but geez, my dogs tail is a weapon. Knocks over everything on the coffee table and will poke the crap out of your eye if you aren’t careful.  So.... the thought did cross my mind.....
  • As a guy who once upon a time raised and trained dobies I'm gonna stay out of this one.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,132 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    That’s a good point Art. How many of you who are against modification think you should Fix your dog?

FWI, my dog has the ears and tail he was born with.  
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    Fish Haid said:

I'm shocked that a Libertarian like Tankard would take a stance to interfere in other people's business when it isn't affecting him.  Next dog I get - I am getting him circumcised instead of castrated.  Then, I'm going to have his hair removed permanently and tat him up.  Put a hog ring in his nose.  I bet that would work better than a choker collar.

Besides - there is a purpose to cropping ears - better for fighting.

Yet you put your business on the interwebs , like when you get tired of a dog you just kill it so not surprised by your post.  
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

Don't put words in my mouth, Haid.

I never said it should be outlawed or people shouldn't do it, I just think it's stupid.

edited January 2019 #22
    Dewclaws are no brainers.  Better to remove them as opposed to them getting caught on something later in life and getting ripped out.  And yes a lot of modifications are beneficial to the dogs like hunting dog tails.  

But to the OP, unless your pitbull is going to be raised for illegal fighting, I don't see a reason to nub their ears down to little points.

Sorry Fish Haid I deleted my reply to your post.  It set me off for some reason.

Captain Todd Approves

And that's what they are, little points. Little bloody points at this point. It looks really stupid on an otherwise cute little puppy.

But to each their own I guess.

Pits with pointy ears are definitely dumb.  Does she realize the significance of pointy nubs on pits?  The only reason I know is so a fighting dog doesn't have ears that can be latched onto when fighting.

Captain Todd Approves

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,247 Admiral
    mplspug said:
    Dewclaws are no brainers.  Better to remove them as opposed to them getting caught on something later in life and getting ripped out.  And yes a lot of modifications are beneficial to the dogs like hunting dog tails.  

But to the OP, unless your pitbull is going to be raised for illegal fighting, I don't see a reason to nub their ears down to little points.

Sorry Fish Haid I deleted my reply to your post.  It set me off for some reason.
    Our dog has double dew claws on his back feet
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
    is it cruel or not to want to remove their barker boxes ? asking for a friend. 
    mplspug said:
    Pits with pointy ears are definitely dumb.  Does she realize the significance of pointy nubs on pits?  The only reason I know is so a fighting dog doesn't have ears that can be latched onto when fighting.

With her phony ghetto cred I would assume she knows exactly what it's for. And she already has two giant pits close to 100 lbs each. She's not a big girl either. The dogs seem well enough behaved but if they ever snapped there's not much she could do.;

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,461 Captain
    I raised beagles for years, ran rabbits with them.
    I always had the dewclaws removed because they'd get torn from running in a slight crust of snow.
    I'm against clipping ears.
    I'm in agreement for tail docking for a couple of reasons.
    The first is this, a Schnauzer or a Doberman would not fit the breed standard.  Most, if not all tails are docked when the pup is very young.  They forget it very quickly, just like humans when they're circumsized.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,532 Captain
    I have no problem with modifications on moral grounds. A dog is a dog. It mine to do what I want within reason, and cropping has no real major negative effect when done correctly. If its wrong to crop or dock ears or tails, then its just as wrong to spay or neuter them.

The notion that cropping a tail somehow effects their communication is just plain wrong. Cropped dogs have been getting along happy for thousands of years. As for ears, all wild canines have pointed or otherwise open ears. Floppy ears is a trait that probably developed accidentally as we selectively bred dogs over the eons. Cropping ears is returning a dog's ears to a state of nature so that its ears are open, can swivel, and can hear better like a wolf's. That is the exact reason why most dog's ears were cropped historically. 

But I do think cropping ears is butt ugly and I won't have a dog with cropped ears. Even if its a breed that supposed to have it. I do like docked tails on bully breeds and other round-faced dogs. 
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,530 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:

Dew Claws NEVER.... Remove  the dew claws and you severely WEAKEN the Elbow Joint..... FACT...

Ears..... Whatever your preference..... But a drop eared dog is MORE likely to have ear issues..... A drop ear keeps the ear canal warm and wet.... Does not allow air flow... A recipe for infection....

Tails...... Depends on the dog.... an Athletic dog with a robust tail....... Leave the tail as the dog uses it for a rudder.....
    Dogs with whippy slender tails...... Dock them..... Scotland banned tail docking on spaniels and other field dogs.... The incidence of tail damage was so significant the government is working to remove the ban on docking.
    Keep in mind...... Most dogs are tail docked at three to five days old. At that age it is a snip..... The nerves are not developed. There is almost ZERO blood.... A three day old pup will protest you pulling it off it's mama's T it . But will not protest the snip... and once you return it to its Momma if will immediately return to suckling.....Conversely.... if you have a breed like a Doberman, Rottweiler, any of the mainland European pointers etc... and you choose not to dock the tail because of your misguided beliefs..... you had BETTER hope you are LUCKY..... because while docking a puppy is painless and not big deal. IF you have to dock a tail because of an injury on an adult dog... it is a MAJOR deal.... It will cost you around 2 grand, your dog will be hospitalized a couple of days..... And you are talking 8 weeks in the cone of shame.... And bandage changes are a PAIN in the Butt. I have been there...Done that.....

Bottom line is..... Dew claws is PURELY for ease of ownership. And HARMS the performance of the dog.... Some argue.....But the dog might tear a dew claw..... Fact is... IF you are a good owner and keep up with care and maintenance of your dog.... you WILL keep your dogs dew nails trimmed short..... you will likely never have an issue.... But if you do..A torn dew claw is SMALL potatoes compared to a blown out elbow joint.

Ears...... Purely a choice.... But if you choose to not crop a drop eared dog, you better keep up with ear care.

Tails...... It i no accident that some breeds traditionally keep their tails and some breeds are typically docked.Different breeds have different types of tails. Some breeds have robust tails that they use.... Some breeds have whippy spindly tails  that are easily broken...
    I'd love some links to support the dewclaws assertion.  It's basically a big toe on the forearm.  I don't see a purpose for it.

Captain Todd Approves