Fly Fishing Noob Needs Help

I got a fly rod for Christmas and want to start learning how to use it.  How/where do you practice?  I am nervous about losing expensive flies right off the bat if I try to learn on the water.  

Replies

• fsu11fsu11 Posts: 1,912 Captain
    in the grass not parking lots as the concrete is abrasive on your line, dock lights were a good attempt for me as you could see the fish
  • shamlin32shamlin32 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Go to Black Fly Outfitters on beach Blvd next to Strike Zone. Talk to the guys in there and they will tell you everything you need to know. They also do quick lessons for beginners.
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 1,979 Captain
    You don't need a fly on the end to practice your cast.  You're casting the weight of the line versus what is tied to the end of it.  Open grassy area is all you need as fsu11 said.

• fsu11fsu11 Posts: 1,912 Captain
    oh and beginner tip dont try to cast a fly that is heavy or too big youll find out quick enough it makes it a lot harder
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    Local park or ball field works well. Tie a piece of bright yarn to the tippet so you can see it. Also, screw learning how to double haul right away. That messes up and discourages a lot of folks. Check out videos of Lefty Kreh and Flip Pallot; keep it real and don’t get into the “Ive got to cast 100 feet” mentality. As most shots are significantly less than that. Do focus on gently hitting a beer can 20–50’ away. Have fun and stick with it. The guys at Black Fly are great people. 
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • Bill DuaneBill Duane Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Check out Capt. Chris Myers YouTube channel videos. I just got my first fly rod too, and his videos have saved me a ton of frustration. 
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,170 Officer
    Thanks for the help. I'll check out Youtube.
  • MarkkMarkk Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    All above is great advice. I suggest using a fly when you practice, just cut off the hook. When  Mtn trout fishing you can practice with no fly since trout flies typically don’t weigh hardly anything. SW flies weigh a heck of a lot more. Take a clouser or shrimp fly and cut the hook off and hit the grass at a park or yard. 
    Black Fly is an awesome resource. Don’t forget to buy something when you go in and ask them for advice.... flies, tippet etc.  shop global...buy local. 
  • rookiemistakerookiemistake Posts: 1,153 Officer
    Learn to haul, make leaders and take your time. Honestly 2 false casts and let go. Dont add any more force. Your target would probably be achieved on your last false cast but we always try and add a little extra power to the released cast which in turn turns your final loop into a pile of doo doo. Slow and steady
  • GuanagatorGuanagator MayportPosts: 376 Deckhand
    Go to Black Fly and the guys will give you a free lesson to get the fundamentals.