Home Off Topic

Retiring at 63 1/2

Replies

• King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,615 Admiral
    Gary S said:
    Was told for years you would know when it is time. For me it was time. I got to where I hated going to work,wasn't doing my job the way it should be done. I knew it was time for me to move on and give my reins to someone else. If I still liked my job maybe I would have stayed a little longer. Have never regretted my move.

This was me.  Although I hated my job I would still be doing it today if it wasn't for a serious medical condition that forced me out.  I'm new to this but so far doing good and keeping busy.  Was hoping to work up to the age of 57 but had to get out at 54,

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,100 Admiral
    One day I'll have a Serious Medical Condition...I just don't want it to be at Work.
    We all have to quit working one day and you just don't know when that day is. I'm not going to push it much longer.
    When you have enough money and your Bride is in a wheelchair , You start thinking.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    One day I'll have a Serious Medical Condition...I just don't want it to be at Work.
    We all have to quit working one day and you just don't know when that day is. I'm not going to push it much longer.
    When you have enough money and your Bride is in a wheelchair , You start thinking.

When you actually face death to the near end you sure have a new perspective on life.  They gave me a small chance to live but managed to survive.  Afterwards I was so grateful I gave some of my possessions to strangers, spent half a million dollars on stupid stuff, bought 1 new PU truck, another vintage truck, another house, 15K just on Amazon Prime, gave my Harley Davidson away to my painter.  Offered to give it to my garbage man who declined as he knew I was not stable at the time.

Mind is stable now and in the end I'm happy with the new house, purchases, and new vehicles.  Now I guess I'm retired.

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,448 Admiral
    My problem is I am in the A/C and refrigeration buisness. At 62 i am semi retired working 2 hours a day. Problem is, those two hours are more stressful packed into into what really is 24/7 so in reality I am not semi retired. There is no coasting in this business. You can't walk away and hand it to someone and not worry unless you sell. What a mental relief that would be.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    68 here, working at least 40 hours, sometimes 45 hours a week, plan on doing the same for another 10 years. 
    Vote for the other candidate
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,679 Admiral
    Mister-Jr said:
    68 here, working at least 40 hours, sometimes 45 hours a week, plan on doing the same for another 10 years. 
    How you going to travel working them kind of hrs?
    J/k
  • Some people are good at being retired, some are not.
    Me? I'm great at it. :)
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,315 Captain
    AC Man said:
    My problem is I am in the A/C and refrigeration buisness. At 62 i am semi retired working 2 hours a day. Problem is, those two hours are more stressful packed into into what really is 24/7 so in reality I am not semi retired. There is no coasting in this business. You can't walk away and hand it to someone and not worry unless you sell. What a mental relief that would be.
    I take it your son is taking over?
  • dnelsondnelson Posts: 246 Deckhand
    I can retire on March 1st at 51 being high risk FRS, of course I can’t afford to retire with healthcare costs so I’m going to go into DROP - that means I can stay anywhere from 1 day to 5 yrs then I have to leave. Job is starting to beat me up with injuries. There is always that fine line of leaving too early or leaving to late and not being able to enjoy what you have worked for- or worse being dead.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    AC Man said:
    I thought 67 gives you max benefits. I would hold out. 

Do the math sometime...I was eligible for partial % 63, full 65. Had I waited till 65 to get full I would of had to live to something like 82-82 something like that, or older. I said I'll take it now. Continued running my business and pd wife more (not S.S. age yet) and me less to stay under the min. Figured the govt had my money already for 45 yrs, time to get some back.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,674 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #72
    I've crunched the numbers, and IMHO it makes sense to take SS day 1.  Sure the pay out is more later, but that requires waiting and collecting zero in that time frame.  By the time a person breaks even after holding out, they will be old and probably won't need it anyway.  Take it while one is young and can use it.  I'm taking day 1.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • SC53SC53 Posts: 614 Officer
    Tuna, agree. 
     Mine was 62 with full at 66 I think.
    18 years at X $ versus 14 years at X $ came out the exact same total amount at 80 years old. Even the deferred at 70 (10 years at X$) was almost the same amount.
    Now after 80 the pendulum swings the other way.
    I took mine day one and invested the max into my IRA and kept my income under the maximum. Pretty sure I made a lot more than the govt did. 
    I work for myself too.
    Already getting my SS. 
    I  did the math as well and I won't need much money when I'm laying in Hospice. I want to die 10 minutes after I spend my last 5 dollars....winning...
    edited January 2019 #75

About health care:

I have a relative that was living with us that has stage 4 cancer, she is in hospice now on her dying bed :(  She is on welfare, gets SSI benefits which amounts to about $500 a month and has Medicaid.  I am amazed at the care she is getting, in order to get the care her significant other(husband/BF) had to show them her bank accounts for the past 3 months which literally only shows the SSI payments coming in.

If she had assets obviously they would probably be forfeited for the care.  It sucks that you have be really poor or very rich to get good care in any urgent medical care sistuation, if you're in the middle, your going to get squeezed.

• GLFIshGLFIsh Atlanta, GAPosts: 11 Greenhorn
    I retired at 56. I got bored and made a list of all of the things I wish I had done - and would still like to do - before it's all over. Now I work on crossing those things off the list. Keeps me motivated and gives me something to look forward to. Also, get a thorough physical every year, including hearing tests, heart check, etc. Stuff hurts a lot more when we get older and staying on top of it is important. The cost of long-term care is astronomical. My Dad required 24 hour care for seven years - cost him over $100,000 per year and he had no long-term care insurance.

Like you, I don't really volunteer. I find most people who need the benefit of our accumulated wisdom won't listen to it, anyway. They just want someone to tell them that what they already believe is the correct answer when usually it's not. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,392 AG
    King_Me said:

About health care:

I have a relative that was living with us that has stage 4 cancer, she is in hospice now on her dying bed :(  She is on welfare, gets SSI benefits which amounts to about $500 a month and has Medicaid.  I am amazed at the care she is getting, in order to get the care her significant other(husband/BF) had to show them her bank accounts for the past 3 months which literally only shows the SSI payments coming in.

If she had assets obviously they would probably be forfeited for the care.  It sucks that you have be really poor or very rich to get good care in any urgent medical care sistuation, if you're in the middle, your going to get squeezed.

There are attorneys who specialize in these issues to help you not lose your life savings if you end up in a nursing home. It takes some pre-planning. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

cadman said:
    King_Me said:

About health care:

There are attorneys who specialize in these issues to help you not lose your life savings if you end up in a nursing home. It takes some pre-planning. 

It's extremely difficult to accomplish.  My father was in a nursing home until he passed away and my mother is currently in an assisted living facility.  In both instances, attorneys were consulted and there was no way they could get federal benefits until they were out of assets.

Trying to move assets prior to or after someone is in a nursing home in order to collect federal benefits is very, very difficult.  My father was a Purple Heart WWII vet, sorry, self-pay.
    Mister-Jr said:
    cadman said:
    King_Me said:

About health care:

It's extremely difficult to accomplish.  My father was in a nursing home until he passed away and my mother is currently in an assisted living facility.  In both instances, attorneys were consulted and there was no way they could get federal benefits until they were out of assets.

Trying to move assets prior to or after someone is in a nursing home in order to collect federal benefits is very, very difficult.  My father was a Purple Heart WWII vet, sorry, self-pay.
    The planning needs to be done years before the care is needed. You should do this now for yourself would be an example. Waiting until they are in the nursing home is way too late. 

Mini Mart Magnate

The planning needs to be done years before the care is needed. You should do this now for yourself would be an example. Waiting until they are in the nursing home is way too late. 

I have no kids and plan to die without a dime to my name except the home I live in.  My goal is 80, after that, I don't care what happens to me.

My fiancee and my nephew and two nieces are beneficiaries on my life insurance policy.  

Dead man broke.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,383 Admiral
    Mister-Jr said:
    cadman said:
    King_Me said:

About health care:

May your father RIP and I wish well for your mother, but doesn't it bother you that illegals can come in and get better or equal treatment for free without ever contributing a thing to our country? I know of a illegal that has been on dialysis for many years on our dime. I feel sorry for this person but many Americans cannot receive the same treatment.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

This...
    I'm in the process of hiding all my known assets for the future.
    I don't want to end up eating dog food when I'm 75 .
    I don't mind paying my own way but I'm not losing everything I have to a Medical system that will suck you dry.
    I'll put a bullet in my head before I end up wearing diapers and laying in bed all day at a Thousand dollars a week.
    Try $2000 to $5000 a week  for an extended Care facility.

Mini Mart Magnate

edited February 2019 #84
    Mister-Jr said:
    cadman said:
    King_Me said:

About health care:

May your father RIP and I wish well for your mother, but doesn't it bother you that illegals can come in and get better or equal treatment for free without ever contributing a thing to our country? I know of a illegal that has been on dialysis for many years on our dime. I feel sorry for this person but many Americans cannot receive the same treatment.
    My parents lived in and I grew up in a fairly small town in KY.  My father had no education beyond high school in Greenville, KY.

After WWII he got a job a Seagrams Distillery in Louisville, KY where he met my mother.  They married but were dirt poor.  Looking to improve his life, we got a job with Kraft Foods as a salesman and traveled Kentucky calling on grocery stores, frequently gone overnight.

He heard about a job as an agent for State Farm Insurance applied, and was hired. He worked hard all day, cold called at night and prospered.  After several years he was offered a job in a small town as a regional manager with 16 agents reporting to him.

He succeeded, doing very well,  and all this time my mother never had to work and was able to stay home and raise me, my brother and sister.  My father joined the local country club and played golf every Wednesday and Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.

My father respected every human being regardless of their station in life. He was kind and respectful to everyone.

In the same town I grew in, it was mostly rural, many small farmers, a couple of factories.  He passed away three years ago and left my mother enough money for the rest of her life.  

In her assisted living facility, maybe 150 patients, I think she is the only self-pay, all others being funded by federal aid.

I inherited a couple of qualities from Dad.  He liked people and he liked his bourbon, me too.   I consider myself very lucky to have my Dad as a life instructor and I have no ill will toward the people that come to America for a better life.  

If we had better Congressman that would have made it easier for these people to come to America and try and fulfill their life dreams, we would be a better county.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,778 AG
    Lost me? I think the last paragraph belongs to a different forum Mr jr.

Mr. Your father sounded like a very good man. I, like most people, do not harbor any ill will towards immigrants. I do not like people who do not follow the rules and try to come here illegally the wrong way and get special treatment that  many Americans or " LEGAL IMMIGRANTS" do not get. This is where we will always disagree.

― Ernest Hemingway

dave44 said:

We are all immigrants.
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:

We are all immigrants.
    You snuck in? You know this country, like all other countries have laws right? If you don’t like the laws , change them. Otherwise, obey them.
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:

We are all immigrants.
    You snuck in? You know this country, like all other countries have laws right? If you don’t like the laws , change them. Otherwise, obey them.
    I think the Indians had some traditions too when our ancestors killed most of them.  You might as well just admit, you had nothing to do with the founding of America, you're just a member of the lucky **** club. 
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:

We are all immigrants.
    I think the Indians had some traditions too when our ancestors killed most of them.  You might as well just admit, you had nothing to do with the founding of America, you're just a member of the lucky **** club. 

Elections and Wars have  consequences. Once the Nation was established and rules put into place then they should be enforced. More Indians were killed by other Indians than white folks BTW.

― Ernest Hemingway

Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:

We are all immigrants.
    I think you love to cherrypick history and the future. Hating America doesn’t mean it is the only civilization existing through conquest or trade. As a matter of fact, you may have a hard time finding any civilization without.
      You’re in a rather feeble state of mind lately?