Home Off Topic

Retiring at 63 1/2

Replies

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    I think if you retire and are bored or miserable you have no imagination or drive. Just like work you get out of retirement what you put into it. If I only read all the books I want to read I could stay busy retired.
    Advanced degree in psychology or just presumptuous?
    Vote for the other candidate
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,446 AG
    Getting bored when you can do pretty much what you want?  Questioning that is hardly presumptuous.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,191 Captain
    edited January 2019 #34
    Mister-Jr said:
    I think if you retire and are bored or miserable you have no imagination or drive. Just like work you get out of retirement what you put into it. If I only read all the books I want to read I could stay busy retired.
    Advanced degree in psychology or just presumptuous?

Getting bored when you can do pretty much what you want?  Questioning that is hardly presumptuous.
    What my father wanted to do was continue to work, but he was not given that opportunity.  Assigning certain behavioral to everyone in a certain demographic is presumptuous. 
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,873 Captain
    One word of advice....Money ....
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,089 Admiral
    DOCKSIDE said:
    One word of advice....Money ....
    I got some, but I'm sure scared about running out...
    When I leave my business , The paychecks quit...Bamm.
    I'm going to try and live on $ 1,500 to 2 K per month.
    Got like 25 years worth at that rate..and I'm going to be 64.
    Debt Free and new Truck , Boat , 4 Wheeler ect. all paid for.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    Work to live, don't live to work

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,230 AG
    edited January 2019 #39
    Semi-Retired at 48, fully at 62. Shot part time sports for the local weekly newspaper did a few more Weddings, then onto Little League. Throw some fishing and traveling in there and that is pretty much it beside honing my BBQ skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    kellercl said:
    Work to live, don't live to work

My job is a big part of my life and I enjoy it.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    I learned we're all different, so do what feels right for you. Still enjoying work but starting to plan for the day.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Love what I do, but planning on being done at 56. At some point being able to have more free time would be nice for family, friends, fishing, hunting, cooking, traveling etc.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,089 Admiral
    That's the Real Deal..I'm going to spend the entire 3 month Hunting season this year..just Hunting. Bringing the Boat too...just in case.
    My Bride is fighting her way out of a wheelchair after  a little longer than a year...that really opens your eyes.
    I like what I do and make good money at it...But Hunting Season is calling...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    There is simply more fun to be had than working.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,356 Admiral
    It is hard to ask for advice when everyone's situation is different. Do what you feel is right for you. I retired earlier than I planned because my father was dying and I really wanted to spend some extra time with him. My wife was still working and kept up our health insurance.
     Little did I know at the time but she had to take a early "buy out" a couple years later and retire also and our health insurance skyrocketed. We survived it but we had to seriously cut back on our "fun" money  for a while and live very simple. All is good now and have no regrets.
    Good luck to you with whatever choice you decide on.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Gary SGary S Posts: 2,307 Captain
    It is hard to ask for advice when everyone's situation is different. Do what you feel is right for you. I retired earlier than I planned because my father was dying and I really wanted to spend some extra time with him. My wife was still working and kept up our health insurance.
     Little did I know at the time but she had to take a early "buy out" a couple years later and retire also and our health insurance skyrocketed. We survived it but we had to seriously cut back on our "fun" money  for a while and live very simple. All is good now and have no regrets.
    Good luck to you with whatever choice you decide on.
    My insurance is 1600 a month. I turn 65 in November and will be able to get medicare. Thats going to be a raise, then the following year my wife turns 65 and we will get more. 
    kellercl said:
    That may be true for you, but the only thing I enjoy more is traveling.  I have fished, played golf my entire adult life and I don't get the pleasure from it I used to.  Plus, my job affords me the opportunity to travel where ever we want for several weeks a year. 

Additionally, I'm not getting any younger and there are still many places I want to see while I'm able.

Alaska in 2015

Iceland 2016

Panama Canal 2017

2018 Grand Canyon

September, New York City, Boston, Bar Harbour, Saint Johns, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.  June  2020 Candian Rockies.   I'd like to make to 80 with my boots on rather than sitting in a rocking chair.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,356 Admiral
    It's been about 10 or 12 years ago but my wife and I took the Cat ferry from Portland Maine to Nova Scotia, rented a car and did the whole perimeter then took the Cat fast ferry back to Bar Harbor. I think they don't do the Bar Harbor ferry anymore but I could be wrong. Anyway, a very nice trip. Don't miss eating some scallops from Digby. You will get tired of eating Maine Lobster.
    Enjoy your trips. I also would rather spend my $$ on travel instead of material things.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,606 Moderator
    It runs out of Portland now. We've checked into doing exactly what you did.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

I'm going to make a note on Digby. Thanks, Conchy.
    Mister-Jr said:
    kellercl said:
    That may be true for you, but the only thing I enjoy more is traveling.  I have fished, played golf my entire adult life and I don't get the pleasure from it I used to.  Plus, my job affords me the opportunity to travel where ever we want for several weeks a year. 

Additionally, I'm not getting any younger and there are still many places I want to see while I'm able.

Alaska in 2015

Iceland 2016

Panama Canal 2017

2018 Grand Canyon

September, New York City, Boston, Bar Harbour, Saint Johns, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.  June  2020 Candian Rockies.   I'd like to make to 80 with my boots on rather than sitting in a rocking chair.
    I have done a lot of traveling too. I got my traveling done before I got too old. I want my retirement years to be relaxing.
    edited January 2019 #52
    Same here.  I have been to Sweden, Denmark, Spain, United Kingdom, Germany and Austria.  Traveling is a now thing, not a retirement thing.  

-Walter Payton
    I travel strictly for pleasure.  I determine when, where, and how I travel without having to conduct business or write a report when I return.  

Last year I went to San Fransico and New Port, RI with my fiancee who was on business trips.  She was in meetings all day, while I enjoyed seeing the cities.  

Ever been on a business trip to Alaska or Iceland?

Two of my trips have been handled by Tauck.com.  They are all-inclusive and go first class.  I would highly recommend them. 

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    It's been about 10 or 12 years ago but my wife and I took the Cat ferry from Portland Maine to Nova Scotia, rented a car and did the whole perimeter then took the Cat fast ferry back to Bar Harbor. I think they don't do the Bar Harbor ferry anymore but I could be wrong. Anyway, a very nice trip. Don't miss eating some scallops from Digby. You will get tired of eating Maine Lobster.
    Enjoy your trips. I also would rather spend my $$ on travel instead of material things.
    I did almost the same thing, my sister actually lives in Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia. I hate flying though, probably be okay if I could afford first class.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    Mister-Jr said:
    Last year I went to San Fransico and New Port, RI with my fiancee who was on business trips. 
    I did the same thing a few years back. Girlfriend had classes in London so I spent the days taking the underground all over the city sightseeing.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    Same here.  I have been to Sweden, Denmark, Spain, United Kingdom, Germany and Austria.  Traveling is a now thing, not a retirement thing.  

Same here. Lived in Japan, Hawaii, California, New Jersey and traveled for pleasure to Scotland, England, Mexico, Grand Cayman and worked in the Bahamas, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Barbados, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Kuwait, Iraq, Bahrain, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, St. Lucia, Jamaica, Curacao, etc. too many to list. Just wanna relax and enjoy my family and friends, have dogs again, hone my smoking/grilling skills, fish, hunt, and farm my small piece of land and maybe travel a little to fish.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    TRT - after reading your backstrap recipie, I suggest doing your on reality killing/grilling cooking show from deep in the swamp.  ;) Also with your propensity for dishing up hot dating ideas  you could do an online dating site, if you can stay out of the profits... Winning?
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,230 AG
    You will get tired of eating Maine Lobster.
    LOL, well a month in and we were still eating it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,307 Captain
    My wife love them lobster rolls.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,606 Moderator
    I do like lobster but I'll take a bucket of steamers, a pot of hot seawater to rinse them in and some melted butter over the lobster. I can get fresh lobster anywhere but those clams just taste sweeter and more tender up there.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,671 Admiral
    I love crabs the best.  Just about any kind.