Home Off Topic

Retiring at 63 1/2

Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,116 Admiral
Bout ready to pull the Trigger...
Dump my Business  , Sell my House and change my phone number.
Biggest thing I'm worried about is getting bored.

Any suggestions from already retired folks ?
Don,t  tell me to volunteer , I hate most people now.
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,460 AG
    edited January 2019 #2
    Try another job. I keep saying when I retire, I am going to get my security guard license and find me some job sitting at a desk guarding a building at night or something part time. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,469 Admiral
    I thought 67 gives you max benefits. I would hold out. 

• ScminnowScminnow Posts: 4,104 Captain
    Well I retired at 55 won’t tap into ss til 65. March to Dec I fish every day weather permitting. During the winter months I work on my house & hike a lot also lots of long walks on the beach. Getting more exercise now than before. 
    I keep busy but yea maybe a couple days a month in winter I might get bored. Also if bad weather moves in for a few days specially during the work week I miss work rather than holed up not being able to do much. But I don’t miss having to keep a schedule 
    Bout ready to pull the Trigger...
    Dump my Business  , Sell my House and change my phone number.
    Biggest thing I'm worried about is getting bored.

Any suggestions from already retired folks ?
    Don,t  tell me to volunteer , I hate most people now.
    What do you mean dump your business? Unless it can't function with out you keep it going at a overseeing couple hours a day position and you have something to do and maintain income.

That's where I am at now in my business. Spend 2 hours a day making sure it is going ok. Probably till the day I die. I have nothing better to do,  and if I want to hit the road a a few days on vacation  my crew can handle it..

If you are it, you're screwed.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,693 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #6
    It goes by what yr you were born up to 1960.  I was born in 55 so it's 66 yrs 2 months.

Currently, the full benefit age is 66 years and 2 months for people born in 1955, and it will gradually rise to 67 for those born in 1960 or later. Early retirement benefits will continue to be available at age 62, but they will be reduced more.

You can retire early & work part time up to $17,000 something a yr.  After that they deduct $1 for every $2 you earn from your benefit check.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,109 AG
    Spend your time getting in the best shape of your life.

You're gonna need it sooner than you think.

I spend a couple of hours every day working out. Been at it for two years. 

Feel great. I'll be 70 my next b'day. No pills. No probs. Ideal wt and blood pressure.  

I do a wide variety of exercises.  Some light weights.   A lot of elastic band.  TRX type of exercises.  A lot of body weight exercises.  I'm aiming at strength and function not body building type of routine. Some Pilates. A lot of core exercises. And a speed bag just for fun and for my shoulders.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,720 Admiral
    Hookers and blow are good hobbies to have. 

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    Sounds like a good plan CC & AC
    edited January 2019 #12
    Gardawg said:

Feel great. I'll be 70 my next b'day. No pills. No probs. Ideal wt and blood pressure.  

I do a wide variety of exercises.  Some light weights.   A lot of elastic band.  TRX type of exercises.  A lot of body weight exercises.  I'm aiming at strength and function not body building type of routine. Some Pilates. A lot of core exercises. And a speed bag just for fun and for my shoulders.
    Thank your mom and dad and grand parents for your genes. Working out is awesome, but for me and others  has had no input on my health. I worked like a dog in the field since 15  and the gym when young. On meds for blood pressure at 20 running 5 miles every other day and weight lifting. Diabetic and on  cholesterol meds at 42. I'm 62 and still at the gym. Im stronger, but doesn't cure my health issues.

I know people in a scooter at my age and are only in it because they are women over 300 lbs with no medical issues that are just lazy.. Sometimes you gotta deal with what nature dealt you.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,508 Admiral

There you go TRT.....you just need an obsessive compulsive disorder and a speed bag for fun.

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    I wish I could afford to retire before the date the Gov. allows, most of the people that I know that are retired said they are busier after retirement then they ever were when working and can't figure out how they ever got anything done with work in the way. Unless your favorite pass time is something like shuffleboard or golf you will stay busy, go for it!
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,323 Captain
    TRT don't worry. I'sure you will have no problem staying busy. I'm 64 and retired in 2012. Have not been bored one minute. And its true, I don't know how I had time to do things before I retired.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    68 here, work 40 hours a week, gym three days a week, walk a couple of miles two days a week.  Hope to be able and work another 10 years. My longtime fiancee is 10 years younger than me and will not retire until she is 65, so I would likely be bored retiring before her. 
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    Gee...I haven't been bored in 25+ years - except at work, lol!
    23895.gif
  • I sometimes wonder how I got all this stuff done before I retired.
    Seems like every day something pops up that needs to be handled.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,720 Admiral
    I'm not retired but I can't fathom being bored.  Fishing, hiking, kayaking, reading and so many other things.  I plan to retire at 55.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,928 Admiral
    I'm 59, and self employed, but with the small amount of profit I make, I might as well say I'm retired. Certainly never bored.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
    kellercl said:
    I'm not retired but I can't fathom being bored.  Fishing, hiking, kayaking, reading and so many other things.  I plan to retire at 55.
    My father had to retire at 70 per his companies policy. He loved golf and playing gin rummy with his friends for about two years, then became sick of that.  The lack of mental stimulation and interacting with people on a professional level was the end for him.  I own the company where I work and I don't plan to let that happened to me.

I like my job more than boredom and declining mental abilities.  My fiancee and I like to travel and she gets 30 days vacation/sick/personal time annually so we take a 10 to 12-day trip every year, but when she retires we plan to travel much more.
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,945 Captain
    Mister-Jr said:
    kellercl said:
    My father had to retire at 70 per his companies policy. He loved golf and playing gin rummy with his friends for about two years, then became sick of that.  The lack of mental stimulation and interacting with people on a professional level was the end for him.  I own the company where I work and I don't plan to let that happened to me.

I like my job more than boredom and declining mental abilities.  My fiancee and I like to travel and she gets 30 days vacation/sick/personal time annually so we take a 10 to 12-day trip every year, but when she retires we plan to travel much more.
    Our policy also requires sale of company stock and retirement at age 70. I have already signed an "intent" to become an income partner (basically working on consulting basis) only for a minimum of 2 years that'll probably turn into more.
    That is assuming my health holds up. 
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
    jcbcpa said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    kellercl said:

Our policy also requires sale of company stock and retirement at age 70. I have already signed an "intent" to become an income partner (basically working on consulting basis) only for a minimum of 2 years that'll probably turn into more.
    That is assuming my health holds up. 
    Sounds like a good plan, I wish you much luck.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,116 Admiral
    I think I have enough Hobby's to keep me going , but leaving this Easy Money is also kinda scary also.
    Been in Business for 30 years for myself and it's easy now . I enjoy the folks I work for and have lunch with the guys once a week . It's a good life 
    But my Heart lives in the woods and water. Got so many things I want to do in the Bush and my Camp is 6 hours away.
    Hard to get up there and keep a business going.
    Money or Play ??
    Went to work today and made enough money for my new MinnKota Saltwater Trolling motor in a couple hours ...and came home...bamm.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,436 Admiral
    I'm a conch. I retired the day I was born. ;)

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,766 AG
    My dad retired at 60 and was miserable.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    My dad retired at 60 and was miserable.
    My dad retired at 50 and had the best time of his life.Moved from Lauderdale to Ocala. Building his new house   Golf, running the tractor around his property, Fishng, fixing  the AC of friends etc. After 12 years he was board to death. 

After I moved to Ocala a few years later my dad joined me in business as did his partner who moved to Ocala with his family too.

They both worked like a dog in the field. It was in their blood. They didnt even take a pay check as they were financial ok. Just a little bonus here and there. As they got into their late 70's they were still there every day till they they passed away. Both were healthy till 2 weeks to go. I hope I go like that. Looking back it was kind of funny, sad, and sweet as one or the other was taking nap  at 2 PM on the office couch. I guess it beat being home listening the the wife. LOL

You got that right.  When I'm home my wife thinks I'm suppose to work all day.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #29
    The only problem I see with retirement is the limited funds, I am sure I will still work at something, might see me at the hardware store counting screws for a customer. Part time. Something way less stressful.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,191 Captain
    I think if you retire and are bored or miserable you have no imagination or drive. Just like work you get out of retirement what you put into it. If I only read all the books I want to read I could stay busy retired.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,323 Captain
    Was told for years you would know when it is time. For me it was time. I got to where I hated going to work,wasn't doing my job the way it should be done. I knew it was time for me to move on and give my reins to someone else. If I still liked my job maybe I would have stayed a little longer. Have never regretted my move.