Home General Paddle Craft

Sailfish Smackdown Jan 2019 - Extreme Kayak Fishing Tournament for Sailfish

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,982 Captain
edited January 2019 in General Paddle Craft #1
Last weekend was Extreme Kayak Fishing Inc's  Sailfish Smackdown.  The date for this tournament is set up months in advance, making it challenging to predict if the fish and weather will cooperate.  Although some Sailfish are local, the majority are in migratory schools, spawning each year off Isla Mujeres, near Cancun in Mexico, and then wandering up the Atlantic coast during the Summer months.  The winter cold fronts drive the fish in packs South back down to the spawning areas.  Reports indicate that a major body of Sailfish were recently off Jacksonville Florida, with some power boats releasing up to 40 fish per day.   Unfortunately this body of fish has not made it down to Pompano Beach yet. 

Weather was too rough for the participants to compete on Saturday.  On Sunday, the weather was a little sporty at first light, but turned out to be nice later on.  Approximately 45 anglers participated in the competition.    Although there was a lot of life in the water, fishing was tough for the kayak anglers who were not allowed to use wire and therefore incurred many bite offs from toothy critters.  About a dozen Sailfish were hooked, but only two were landed.    Congratulations to the Robwil Valderrey for winning $5000 by catching the first Sailfish !

and with 3 minutes before lines-in, Shaun Roles won $2000 with the second Sailfish of the Tournament. 

Ivy Harris took home $500 for the heaviest Mahi taken

First bait in the water produced this contender king Mackerel which I had hoped would win the Kingfish Calcutta.

During the last hour of the Tournament, I heard a radio call from a yellow kayak with a yellow flag.  At the weigh in scale, I learned that this was the kingfish to end my Calcutta winning streak.  Congratulations to Brian Nelli for winning the $1200 Kingfish Calcutta.

Free hors D Orderves and Papas Pilar Rum cocktails were served up at the Beach House Restaurant  Awards Ceremony.  Congratulations to all the winners ! 
 Special Thanks to Extreme Kayak Fishing Inc and all of it's sponsors for supporting and executing a World Class Sailfish Kayak Fishing Tournament.   Thanks to Denes Zsakacs and Jorge Bustamante for many of the photos used in this post.    
https://www.extremekayakfishingtournament.org/sailfish-schedule.html

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Excellent write-up as usual John!
    I was eyeing that weather and knew it would be too challenging for me since I am very rusty now with surf launches. I love the fact that volunteers at the tournament offer a bit of help with launching and landing, but let's be honest, if you can't launch your own craft into the waves, you probably need some more practice before participating.

Here's hoping Summer Slam will be my time to get on the stage this year...
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,982 Captain
    jcanracer said:
    Excellent write-up as usual John!
    I was eyeing that weather and knew it would be too challenging for me since I am very rusty now with surf launches. I love the fact that volunteers at the tournament offer a bit of help with launching and landing, but let's be honest, if you can't launch your own craft into the waves, you probably need some more practice before participating.

Here's hoping Summer Slam will be my time to get on the stage this year...
    Thanks Chris,  Honestly you don't give yourself enough credit for all of your experiences.  Although a couple of anglers who decided to launch early on their own did flip, the majority received assistance.  The assisted launch success was 100%.   There were 6 volunteers helping anglers through the surf, plus additional like myself who helped a few others out before launching.  One of the guys I helped was a second time ever kayak fisherman, and he made it out just fine.  Once out, the current was mild all day, so it was a nice day on the water.  I just wish the fish had bit a little better.  
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 520 Officer
    Another wonderful post John.