Home Off Topic

Whole house generator.

dave44dave44 Posts: 11,776 AG
  When the hurricane remnants came through here ( the one y’all enjoyed so well ), we lost power and our generator kicked on as it should, but it didn’t produce electricity. 
   After checking it out I decided it was the stator, had a tech come out to make sure and he said the same thing. 
   3000$ for repair, 5500$ for replacing unit.
    Anybody ever attempt the repairs yourself? I hate to see a paperweight that size near the house.

Replies

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,776 AG
    By the way, it’s a Generac. I’ve read a lot of complaints about the stator on these machines lately. 
        So any help on squeezing some lemons to make this taste better are appreciated, but a#1 need not apply.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    more than 50% the cost of a new unit should be a crime 
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral

Source the part yourself and see how price compares to what they quoted you.  Stators can also be repaired.  Can't be that hard to replace yourself if you have any mechanical aptitude.

https://apgeneratorparts.com/generac-generator-stators

23895.gif
    I think I saw that video, looks like it only took3 or 4 guys 12 hrs or so? 
       Anyway, I’m having a problem finding parts for it, another look at the quote and they used specs from a smaller gen too. 
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,410 Captain
    before you tear stuff out and spend $$$$, try to recharge it. Take a plug in drill, and spin the head by hand backward. do this while gen. is running
    Aquired a large generator that would not generate. tried this and it worked.
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    edited January 2019 #7
    I looked a whole house generator five years ago and decided I didn't need to spend the money as its rare we lose power for more than a couple of days.

I installed this

Bought this

Last year, it ran three days straight powering a refrigator, a portable AC, and two rooms including big screen TVs without a hiccup.  Unfortunately, no hot water.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,135 Admiral
    3300? It's it made by BMW?
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
    I have a 7kw for work but I like having my well and water heater work when I want.
  • PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 294 Deckhand
    I sure hope my unit stays trouble free. I am waiting for a Cummins/Onan 40kW to be installed. I have two portable generators I now want to sell,
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,504 Admiral
    How many hours were on the generator? 
    I would have to know how and why the stator failed before I would stroke a 3k check for a new one or even 1200 for the part.

To know this you would probably have to examine the windings and test.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    How many hours were on the generator? 
    I would have to know how and why the stator failed before I would stroke a 3k check for a new one or even 1200 for the part.

To know this you would probably have to examine the windings and test.
    I agree. I’m having a tough time deciding how much time to put into it. I do plan on removing it anyway, so I will probably put it in my shop and disassemble and test it as I have time.
      hate that the motor works so well.
    dave44 said:
    I have a 7kw for work but I like having my well and water heater work when I want.
    I don't have a well and was still able to shower.
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    Standpipe pressure and your water heater holds heat for a day or 2. That’s nice.
      We are a little further out. 3 days without power is usual, 2 weeks was the worst.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,389 AG
    Gas hot water heater. Even without power, if you are on city water, you can have hot showers. 

I have a portable generator. Need to install one of those switches like Mr has. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• dnelsondnelson Posts: 246 Deckhand
    Just had a Koehler installed at my dads house, highly recommended over the generac and only a few hundred more.
    dnelson said:
    Just had a Koehler installed at my dads house, highly recommended over the generac and only a few hundred more.
    Thanks, I’ll look into that, does it have power shedding ?
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    Standpipe pressure and your water heater holds heat for a day or 2. That’s nice.
      We are a little further out. 3 days without power is usual, 2 weeks was the worst.
    I don't have anyplace to put the fuel storage for a whole house gen.
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    dave44 said:
    I don't have anyplace to put the fuel storage for a whole house gen.
    Gotcha. I buried a 500 gal propane tank. 
  • dnelsondnelson Posts: 246 Deckhand
    His has a whole house transfer, we didn’t go with the shedding, learned that he needed to upsize due to being on natural gas- 30% less BT’s
    dnelson said:
    His has a whole house transfer, we didn’t go with the shedding, learned that he needed to upsize due to being on natural gas- 30% less BT’s
    What size did he wind up getting?
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,448 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #22
    Mister-Jr said:
    I looked a whole house generator five years ago and decided I didn't need to spend the money as its rare we lose power for more than a couple of days.

I installed this

Bought this

Last year, it ran three days straight powering a refrigator, a portable AC, and two rooms including big screen TVs without a hiccup.  Unfortunately, no hot water.
    Why not? That has way more power for a water heater? 5k will do it just fine.Of course you have to turn off other devices.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,312 Captain
    If someone quoted me parts for wrong size generator I would question his ability to do the job. 
     Has anyone mentioned anything about flashing the generator? I'm not suggesting you get your wife to show it her boobs, the rotor has a residual  magnetism in it and if it loses it, usually from sitting for long periods of time the generator will not produce power. I had to do my neighbors but don't remember how I did it. I know I used a 12 volt battery  but that is as far as I remember. Found out how to do it on internet.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,374 Admiral
    Gary S said:
    If someone quoted me parts for wrong size generator I would question his ability to do the job. 
     Has anyone mentioned anything about flashing the generator? I'm not suggesting you get your wife to show it her boobs, the rotor has a residual  magnetism in it and if it loses it, usually from sitting for long periods of time the generator will not produce power. I had to do my neighbors but don't remember how I did it. I know I used a 12 volt battery  but that is as far as I remember. Found out how to do it on internet.

Hatcity mentioned it in post 6. Drill does same.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,615 Admiral
    hatcity said:
    before you tear stuff out and spend $$$$, try to recharge it. Take a plug in drill, and spin the head by hand backward. do this while gen. is running
    Aquired a large generator that would not generate. tried this and it worked.

This ^  Had a small generator where this worked.   Sometimes you have to "Excite" the stator to make it come back alive.
    I was getting continuity between the legs. Not excited about it though.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,147 Captain
    cadman said:
    Gas hot water heater. Even without power, if you are on city water, you can have hot showers. 

Cad, gas heaters have electronic igniters. Still gotta have electric. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,389 AG
    pottydoc said:
    cadman said:

Cad, gas heaters have electronic igniters. Still gotta have electric. 
    My hot water heater did not have electric going to it. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,374 Admiral
    tankless water heaters need a electric ignitor. Old fashioned regular gas water heaters have a pilot light.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    After having a power failure in the Ormond home with no one there,,, the resulting rot in the freezers that smelled the place up and ruined a freezer  convinced me to install ours. It is set up with a monitoring system that allerts us it has engaged when no one is there.

It also made me worry less about mom and dad when they are down there for weeks at a time.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,687 AG

I'll be getting one on the new house before hurricane season. Been looking at Generac's and Koehler's. I found an electrician forum and it seems like more Gererac's are installed than any other. Therefore, there were more issues with them because there were way more of them out there.

Koehler's CS seems to really be pretty bad even for their certified installers.

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes