Home Egret Boats

If I had to do it over...

ChonggChongg Posts: 751 Officer
edited January 2019 in Egret Boats #1
I'm a year into owning a 189 I purchased from the factory. If I could do everything over again, I would:
-Still purchase the Evinrude Etec, despite the warnings. I love this engine.
-Not have purchased a Garmin chartplotter, despite the recommendations. I had the unit go out on me during a scalloping trip last summer. Now I am a week away from my bachelor party to the keys, and my transducer is acting up. When I asked Garmin if they would be able to send a replacement in time for my trip and cover installation costs, I was given a very flimsy "maybe."
-Bought a bigger boat. (Just kidding...sort of.)

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Your post sounds like a cry for help...As I been down that path before. I thinking that maybe I can share some good advise. Sometimes it's worth listening to what other people have to say regardless if you've already made up your mind. The reason I say this, is that often someone else has a different perspective.  It's very possible that when emotions are involved one doesn't tend to look or think of things that may be so very important when dealing with all those possibilities.

For one minute just think about this....Why worry about changing the transducer, when you can change out the whole boat if you just...MARRY FOR MONEY!   
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 751 Officer
    edited January 2019 #3
    Haha, certainly not a cry for help. I cried to Garmin customer support, which has been very helpful all things considered.

I just know that I read this section of the forum  A LOT when I was building my boat. I decided to wait a year before giving feedback. I love the ETEC despite a lot of horror stories out there. And I read a lot of mixed reviews on the Garmin but still decided to go for it. If others are in the same boat as I was a year ago, perhaps my .02 could help them. 

Frank and company have been a pleasure to deal with. Customer service is top notch. Goes without saying I love the boat. But we're all prone to 2-foot itis from time to time. 

I am getting married soon. She ain't buying me a new boat any time soon, so I'm going to have to settle for a new transducer for the time being.
    Also, I realize I'm at risk of starting a small war by typing the words "Etec" and "Garmin."  I'm simply adding another piece of evidence for other adults to use as they make an informed decision. I have no interest in arguing about what is the best and what is absolute garbage.
    The important thing to understand is that what's right for me may not be what you want. You're the one that is paying for it, so you're the only one that has to like it. Additionally, sooner or later that technology will be old and outdated and things on a boat break and need replacing. 

Now let's talk about this marring thing you keep bring up. Does this Girl like to fish? wait I just realized I'm not being Politically correct. Does this person whom your marrying like to fish. cause you know this is almost as important as my advise.
    Of course she likes to fish. She would have left my **** a long time ago if she didn't!
    very cool!! If she's interested in learning teach her to run the boat. That way she can help at the ramp when you launch or if you rigging rods when you're underway. Congrats!
  • NinjahGooseNinjahGoose CaryPosts: 12 Greenhorn
    very cool!! If she's interested in learning teach her to run the boat. That way she can help at the ramp when you launch or if you rigging rods when you're underway. Congrats!
    ^ This.  I've been married for going on 5 years now and a boat owner for two of them.  It makes a world of difference when your significant other can drive the boat.  My wife isn't the biggest angler and she would rather lounge and listen to tunes than drive the boat at speed, but she is happy to put the motor in gear and cruise around the docks looking at the houses.  This gives me time to tie some FG knots and throw on some lures and gives her the experience for when it comes time to load the boat on the trailer.  Plus since I'm the one who taught her how to recover the boat she does it the way I want and we don't waste time hogging up the ramp.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    edited January 2019 #9
    Now what are you thinking Pete! Stop jumping ahead like that so soon. Let's fist start with washing the boat! Baby Steps Baby Steps First! B)    :)
    FlatsBoy said:
    Now what are you thinking Pete! Stop jumping ahead like that so soon. Let's fist start with washing the boat! Baby Steps Baby Steps First! B)    :)
    Well one would think that since he's had the boat for a year and is now getting married and it not one of those reality shows like "married at first sight". You know that you don't want to let the soap dry on the hull as it would leave streaks and spots. Considering all this. One would think, that she's had plenty of time to hold the hose after a day of fun in the sun on that Egret! 
    FlatsBoy said:
    hahahaha.

She had some experience running boats before I met her. She was very down to get behind the wheel of my old boat while I threw the cast net or just to drive it. When I got the Egret, she got a little worried about wrecking the new toy. She'll eventually get over it. The bigger challenge is learning to back the trailer up at the ramp. 
    I will add this: The iPilot saved our relationship. We fish the Jacksonville jetties a lot, and dropping anchor - and the conflicts that can arise between a couple while doing so - can be downright sporty. That's no longer a problem now.