Trolling motor shaft length?

I am getting ready to put a trolling motor on my 20' center console.  I measiured from the bow to water line, 40 inches.  The chart I found recommends a 72" shaft.  I have been told that 60" shaft would be enough.  I will be using it in shallow water around Cape Coral.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Steve

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,665 Moderator
    Hi Steve I went with the 72 inch model from Rhodan they said 24 inch below surface is ideal. This is to keep it from poping out of the water due to wave action. If you want it shorter just  use the collar to adjust it. If i got the shorter model and I want to deeper I would be out of luck  I fish mostly offshore.
    larrywitt
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 590 Officer
    The trolling motor needs to be 12" or so beneath the surface to operate without cavitating. Add some waves to that and you'll be happy to have the 72" shaft. As stated, just adjust the collar according to water depth and water conditions.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,088 Captain
    I would go with the 72.  My boat is about the same.  40" above water line.  I contemplated the 60 but am glad I went with the 72.  It is a phenomenal add to your arsenal.  I never had one and it is incredible.  Total Game Changer.  Can't wait to see what it does for me with tarpon this summer.  Should open up a lot of options I didn't have before. 
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,113 Captain
    72" for the reasons stated above.  Once you get into a little bit of waves and you're trying to stalk some fish you'll wish you had it even longer.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Steve19Steve19 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going with the 72" shaft.  Picking up a Rhodan over in Sarasota today!