Trolling on the Florida Fisherman II out of Hubbard's Marina - 36 Hour Trip

I am going on a 36 hour trip out of Hubbard's Marina in March. I did a lot fo these trips years ago, but this is the first in a while. They offer trolling now. What is the payoff versus the effort? What do you catch? What lure do you use? Do they rotate fishermen on the stern or is it only those with stern fishing spots that get to troll? Please give me the low down.

Replies

• harbisonharbison Posts: 2,938 Captain
    edited January 15 #2
    I can answer some of you questions, but not all 
    1.  "payoff versus the effort"?   As a rule the payoff is very good. Last year was a slower than normal year. Lost a lot of really big fish... Mostly huge Kings & Wahoo.
     2.  "What do you catch"? Mackerel in close; Kings, Tuna, Amberjack, Barracuda, Bonito, and Wahoo offshore:
    Watch Ed. He will catch more fish trolling than everyone else combined. His knowledge is supreme and he is always more than willing to share:

The Kings run BIG!

So do the Amberjack:

Virtually no one trolls at night. Night time Tuna:

3. "What lure do you use"?   Really cannot answer that. Suggest talking to Captain Dylan Hubbard. He is an expert. 
         Captain Dylan's #  (727) 393-1946 ext.306  On the boat... Talk to Ed
    4. "Do they rotate fishermen on the stern or is it only those with stern fishing spots that get to troll"     
         Those with stern spots have first choice. Anyone can fish any open stern spot. There will ALWAYS be plenty of opportunities.                   
    While traveling between spots, the most productive time to troll, most are eating or sleeping.           Few actually troll. The Florida Fisherman ll has outriggers to extend the number who can troll. They are seldom  used.  Not needed; anyone can use them:

Strongly suggest watching, talking to,  Ed and his partner Dan. They are both the best of the best. 
    Best part... There is always someone more than willing to help:

"They offer trolling now."   Anyone who wants to troll will have plenty of opportunities. Wish more trolled. Often Ed is the only one trolling. 
    We catch  a good number of barracudas and bonito while trolling... Excellent bait. 

Suggest arriving early. Captain Dylan will show you exactly what you need and how to use it. The marina store carries a complete line of everything needed. 

Hope this helps. I have been fishing on the old Florida Fisherman l, and now ll for over 40 years. I do not pretend to know all the answers. But I am always more than willing to share what I do know. 
    If I can be of any help, send me a  E. Mail   [email protected]

• Rode WarriorRode Warrior Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    (Mr.) Harbison, thank you so much for your reply and taking time to do so! I will definitely give it a shot.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 2,938 Captain
    Sir, it's a real honor to be of help.
    Try to schedule a Friday 39 or 44 hour trip. Weather permitting I will be there. I am a Florida native and member of the Outdoor Writers Association. I love to share our Paradise. Hope you are not camera shy; will feature you and all the fish you catch in my report. 
    Mr. John Martin, fishing adviser on the Florida Fisherman ll, oversees trolling. John is also a Florida native who take his fishing very serious. John will make an expert out of you.